SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Max…..good little pocket gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Max…..good little pocket gun Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Hornady XTP has done well in gel tests against other.380 hollow point rounds. There is certainly an argument for a full metal jacket or solid round, but you're trading expansion for penetration in a round that is already good at neither.

That is basically what prompted me to ask the question. .380 is kind of the singing waiter of calibers. Is it is more effective to favor penetration over expansion, or vice versa.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RJ-357
posted Hide Post
I purchased a LCP max back in January. I've run about 400 rounds of FMJ and approximately 100 rounds of hollow points (golden sabre and critical defense.) I find it much easier to shoot than my LCP. Unfortunately I've experienced regular failures to feed with both brands of hollow points.

I just got back from another frustrating trip to the range with it. The ammo situation being what it is, I've had trouble finding anything other than golden sabre or critical defense to try, not to mention the cost of hollow points. I'm disappointed as my original LCP ate whatever I fed it without issue. I've contacted Ruger, we'll see what they have to say.

----------------------------------

Don't believe everything you think.

Posts: 576 | Location: NH | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
Is it is more effective to favor penetration over expansion, or vice versa.

You need to find the balance that you think will meet your needs. You also need to consider the circumstances in which you will most likely find yourself in a SD shooting scenario. For example, barrier penetration is more important to a LEO than a regular person.

Generally, penetration is more important than expansion, b/c order of business is:

1. The bullet needs to penetrate far enough to hit CNS &/or vital organs. After that...

2. You want the bullet to expand as much as possible causing as much damage as possible or what some refer to as a permanent wound cavity.

3. You want to avoid the bullet over-penetrating and hitting something unwanted. I.e., cardinal rules of gun safety. You are responsible for every bullet that you fire. Know your target and what lies beyond it.

In a lot of tests I watched of different 380ACP, many of the hollow-points failed to expand so often that you might as well use cheaper FMJ range ammo.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron Chef thanks for breaking down the factors. At the end of the day in circumstances I envision it probably does not matter very much if I am using FMJ or HP. I'm not law enforcement, don't think barrier penetration is going to be a concern, mostly I carry this gun when walking the dogs in my neighborhood, and if ever used in SD would probably be under 15 yards, more likely under ten. I think I am over thinking it. Both should penetrate sufficiently and the HP either will or won't expand. I already had some Gold Dot HP for my 232 and I am just going to continue to use that in the Ruger

On that subject, RJ-357 FWIW I fired three mags, so about 30 rounds, of the HP without issue. Hope you can get yours sorted out.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked one up about a month ago. It works. It has nice sights. The slide holds open on the last fired round.
I felt that it was much more uncomfortable to shoot that a Sig 365. My wife said it just hurt to fire. It also shot low enough to really irritate me.
For a small, light, relatively hi capacity pocket pistol it will get the job done. It will never become a favorite.

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You guys are using a holster when you carry these pistols, yes? Just like a Glock, you always need a holster which covers the trigger.
Alabama Holster, Front Pocket or The Nolster are very nice.

The Nolster does print so I recommend the Front Pocket holster.

Best you will find in my opinion.
Link

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I concur. I carry my G42 or my Colt Mustang XSP in an Alabama Pocket Holster.

Little bit of a wait but an excellent holster.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of Alabama Holsters. What is this thumb release like ? The web site doesn't go into any detail.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Alabama Holsters.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
I'd never heard of Alabama Holsters. What is this thumb release like ? The web site doesn't go into any detail.

there is a small 90 degree perpendicular tab extending away from the holster and towards your body on the top rim of the inside portion of the holster towards the front so that as you push your hand down to grab the grip with your fingers and then draw the pistol you simultaneously also push down on the tab with your thumb to assist in releasing the gun from the holster and retain the holster in your pocket. It is a very natural movement.

posted Hide Post
there is a small 90 degree perpendicular tab extending away from the holster and towards your body on the top rim of the inside portion of the holster towards the front so that as you push your hand down to grab the grip with your fingers and then draw the pistol you simultaneously also push down on the tab with your thumb to assist in releasing the gun from the holster and retain the holster in your pocket. It is a very natural movement.[/QUOTE]
Ahh....thanks for the explanation, I may have to try one.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post