SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What can I expect from replacing a guide rod? (P320 X5)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I expect from replacing a guide rod? (P320 X5) Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Looking at some Tungsten guide rods and the Grayguns guide rod. I know the tungsten adds weight, but what other functions are there to a new guide rod?

Thanks,

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
It is a barrel weight. In one-handed precision shooting, the front sight remains more stable. However, it takes more time for it to settle.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
I run the gray guns FAT stainless guide rods on all my alloy framed guns to reduce muzzle flip. I cant say how much reduction there is but it definitely feels more controlled when firing.

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Is this for a range toy or for personal defense?

The reason I ask is because tungsten is brittle and can shatter. I wouldn't recommend using one in a defensive pistol.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The real answer is “not much”. Seriously. Unless you need to shave fractions of a second off your times replacing this will be an exercise in futility.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The reason I like the Grayguns rod for my full size 9mm P320 is that it replaces the expensive and proprietary captive recoil spring system with a 1911 type spring.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is a good reason in my book. In fact, I did the same thing with my Gen4 Glock19. Captive spring gone, rod with normal spring and the little doohickey insert in the slide hole.

Still my basic point stands. You aren't going to get much if any noticeable difference and I lean to you won't get any.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You aren't going to get much if any noticeable difference and I lean to you won't get any.

I can’t tell any difference among solid steel and other offerings, and that included solid steel, hollow steel, and plastic rods in SIG Classic line pistols.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still my basic point stands. You aren't going to get much if any noticeable difference and I lean to you won't get any.

^^^^^^^^
This.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Is this for a range toy or for personal defense?

The reason I ask is because tungsten is brittle and can shatter. I wouldn't recommend using one in a defensive pistol.

Range toy, USPSA and Steel, training...etc.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The reason I like the Grayguns rod for my full size 9mm P320 is that it replaces the expensive and proprietary captive recoil spring system with a 1911 type spring.

The X5 already has a 1911 style spring, so I guess that's another reason to pass.

NRA Life Member