SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New custom shop FCU
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New custom shop FCU Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know if Sig includes the custom shop gold FCU in any of the 320 models, or is it just for custom builds we'd like to build

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The only ones that currently come with the titanium nitride gold/bronze finish are the FCUs for builds. The Custom Works special models ie their Scorpion, etc. has presumably the same FCU, but it is not coated and has a black trigger.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw a Custom Works X-Carry Spector with a polished gold skeletonized trigger and polished gold barrel. Also a matching P365XL Spector.

It's Sig, they will eventually cover all possible configuration iterations, but randomly.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I've only seen pictures of the Spector and it looks like the FCU is not Titanium Nitride coated. Just the trigger and barrel.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, The thing that bothers me about Sig is the p320 is a modular gun and Sig lead everyone to believe all the parts to customize your gun would be available, not so, try to find a regular FCU to purchase LOL. Plus this gold FCU has little info on exactly what it is, if it's really a upgrade from the regular FCU, $399 is a lot of money for it. I just purchased a new Sig p320 compact with 3.9" barrel for $429 why would I buy a FCU for $399.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I can not say there is anything special about the CW FCU that warrants the high price tag other than possibly lighter springs. You are correct that the best value in the P320 are the deals found on various completed models on the shelf. Both of my CW FCUs had trigger pulls that gauged just over 3#s, which many consider too light for a CCW build. I’ve only ever gauged 3 “stock” FCUs and they all gauged around 6#s. My other three FCUs are a CW Scorpion and two different X5 Legions. All gauge sub 3#s with the nicest one belonging to my son’s Legion. Street prices on the CW FCUs seem to be between $300-$325 if one is patient, $350 if you need it right now.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
Thanks guys, The thing that bothers me about Sig is the p320 is a modular gun and Sig lead everyone to believe all the parts to customize your gun would be available, not so, try to find a regular FCU to purchase LOL.

It is a "regular FCU."

You're not getting a cutom, tuned fire control unit, regardless of what colors it comes in, how how pretty it looks. There's nothing to "tune." A coating on this part or that is not tuning.

There are kits available to make your own FCU, if you really want to, including stamping out the metal framework and rail.

Bryce Gray has come on here to discuss the engineering and science that went into the design of the pistol, and has made special mention of the angle of the rails, and how the slide rides on the underside of the rails, not on top of them.

Considerable thought and effort went into the design of the pistol, and the "FCU" is the pistol. It can be tweaked, a bit, but it's never going to be a glass-rod 1911 trigger. It wasn't meant to be. Carrying the P320 is tantamount to carrying a single action pistol with the safety off, no grip safety, no trigger safety, nothing between you and the shot but a slight trigger press. Making the trigger ultra-light in weight, with no travel or feel might sound like the goal of tuning, but in this case, it may be an unwise direction to take.

The trigger can be improved, subjective to context, but it's one of those things where simply because one can, doesn't necessarily mean one should.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
Thanks guys, The thing that bothers me about Sig is the p320 is a modular gun and Sig lead everyone to believe all the parts to customize your gun would be available, not so, try to find a regular FCU to purchase LOL.

It is a "regular FCU."
You're not getting a cutom, tuned fire control unit, regardless of what colors it comes in, how how pretty it looks. There's nothing to "tune." A coating on this part or that is not tuning. There are kits available to make your own FCU, if you really want to, including stamping out the metal framework and rail.

Bryce Gray has come on here to discuss the engineering and science that went into the design of the pistol, and has made special mention of the angle of the rails, and how the slide rides on the underside of the rails, not on top of them.
Considerable thought and effort went into the design of the pistol, and the "FCU" is the pistol. It can be tweaked, a bit, but it's never going to be a glass-rod 1911 trigger. It wasn't meant to be. Carrying the P320 is tantamount to carrying a single action pistol with the safety off, no grip safety, no trigger safety, nothing between you and the shot but a slight trigger press. Making the trigger ultra-light in weight, with no travel or feel might sound like the goal of tuning, but in this case, it may be an unwise direction to take.
The trigger can be improved, subjective to context, but it's one of those things where simply because one can, doesn't necessarily mean one should.

I agree 100% with what you say. All I'd like to do with the trigger is to make it a bit crisper rather than spongy, my x-series have a decent crisp break (far from perfect but acceptable to me)and not spongy, part of the issue is the sound it makes, it matches the sponginess. Anyway, You and some of the other members have convenienced me that the FCU's are the same, except for one may have a slightly better trigger than another, through the manufacturing process. As I've said before I'm using my guns for the range and home defense now so The pull weight is fine I just hate the sponginess and sound. Maybe I'll just have to get over it, I won't until everything is exhausted, then it's a purchase from Apex, I know that will resolve the issue. Thanks