SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Very Inexpensive 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Inexpensive 1911 Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I mean, a Ferrari engine is cast. Bottom and top.

Ymmv

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
FWIW, Dan Wesson‘s were generally cast.

That was true from the mid-1990s when Dan Wesson first started making 1911s through the late 2000s when CZ bought Dan Wesson. But once CZ took over, for over a decade now they've been using forged frames, along with fully machined parts too - no MIM or casting.

Posts: 32475 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the Tisas pistols. Simply built with a no nonsense sense of purpose. We had a promo on one of their inexpensive models a few months ago and sold them new and unblemished for around $325. We normally sell that particular model for just under $400. I do agree about the GI sights, though; they are not fast to work with, nor are they anything close to being old-eyes friendly (or youngling-eyes friendly, for that matter).

-MG

Posts: 1961 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I kinda like the Tisas pistols. Simply built with a no nonsense sense of purpose. We had a promo on one of their inexpensive models a few months ago and sold them new and unblemished for around $325. We normally sell that particular model for just under $400. I do agree about the GI sights, though; they are not fast to work with, nor are they anything close to being old-eyes friendly (or youngling-eyes friendly, for that matter).

The GI sights with the thin front blade do have one redeeming factor, in that the front sight doesn't block out the target on longer shots.
I had a Browning HP with the standard blade type front sight, and it helped if I practiced making longer shots.

At least, being a larger pistol, the sights are larger. Some of the early 380 pistols had really miniscule sights.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
FWIW, Dan Wesson‘s were generally cast.

That was true from the mid-1990s when Dan Wesson first started making 1911s through the late 2000s when CZ bought Dan Wesson. But once CZ took over, for over a decade now they've been using forged frames, along with fully machined parts too - no MIM or casting.

Good point!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock Island (Armscor) commander sized 1911 and it’s a workhorse. Shoots every ammo I’ve tried…the only problem I’ve had was using Promag mags that dont hold the slide back, but work in my Ruger 1911

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11262 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Life's too short to buy cheap guns. Just sayin'...

A high price is no guarantee of quality, either. Just saying.

Posts: 27910 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put together a 1911 Sarco kit with a rando frame and the damn thing is lights out one hole accurate. I think the design makes even the cheapies perform well.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up Tisas Duty 1911 this week just for kicks. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm impressed with the fit and finish for the price paid.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I picked up Tisas Duty 1911 this week just for kicks. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm impressed with the fit and finish for the price paid.

Think you will like it. I was surprised. I installed a Wilson bulletproof sear, disconnector, and retro Commander hammer in my 1911A1 Tisas without any fitting. Also, an EGW angled bushing without any fitting. Just had to be accurate in measuring for ordering the correct bushing.

I looked at the Duty model at a local gunshop. I just like the 1911A1 model for some reason. I'm just getting back into 1911's after not having one for 4 years.

Next Tisas I buy is their .380

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post