SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Very Inexpensive 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Inexpensive 1911 Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Centerfire Systems has "blemished" 1911's for $319.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to buy cheap guns. Just sayin'...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought a used RIA 9mm 1911 just because I wanted to try it. I have been impressed by how well it works.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with cheap. Don't buy crappy guns. Sometimes the categories overlap, and sometimes they don't.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There is nothing wrong with cheap. Don't buy crappy guns. Sometimes the categories overlap, and sometimes they don't.
When I think "cheap" I usually think "crappy." The kind of "cheap" to which you refer I call "inexpensive."

Po-tay-toh, Po-tah-toh, I guess Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Following the breadcrumbs, these are likely made by Tisas (Turkish.) Someone got one and did a comparo video to a real Colt.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My son has been wanting a GI 1911. This might be a good option for him...too bad they'll likely be sold out by the time we get back from vacation.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also bought the RI 9mm 1911 and same for me. I'm impressed how well it runs and generally the finish work is fine.

I also bought a RI .45 1911 which I swear you could use as a roofing hammer if needed. It's a beast.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only cheap 1911 I would consider is Armscor. Mine chugs right along.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The blems are Tisas.

Still in stock.

But if you want new, dahlonegaarmory has them for about $340

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Following the breadcrumbs, these are likely made by Tisas (Turkish.) Someone got one and did a comparo video to a real Colt.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DHHc_O7ly2Q" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Well done video, but not really an apples to apples comparison. Most of the scenarios where the Colt beat out the Tisas were related to the better sights and trigger on the competition-geared Colt, compared to the GI-Clone Tisas. IMO it would have been more informative to compare it to an RIA GI pistol, SA MilSpec, or an actual GI Colt.

It seems that the cheap gun was reliable and mechanically accurate within the scope of his testing. I know it's kind of hard to do this within a single YouTube video, but I'd be interested to see how the Tisas holds up over some serious use and several thousand rounds downrange. Proper metallurgy and machining tolerances are always my primary concern with these import firearms, but some of those issues aren't likely to show themselves under short-term casual range use.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I asked him that and he agreed. He's also looking at getting a higher content Tisas for a more apples to apples test.

But the point of the video is that the cheap Turkish 1911 proved reliable and shootable.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DHHc_O7ly2Q" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Well done video, but not really an apples to apples comparison. Most of the scenarios where the Colt beat out the Tisas were related to the better sights and trigger on the competition-geared Colt, compared to the GI-Clone Tisas. IMO it would have been more informative to compare it to an RIA GI pistol, SA MilSpec, or an actual GI Colt.

It seems that the cheap gun was reliable and mechanically accurate within the scope of his testing. I know it's kind of hard to do this within a single YouTube video, but I'd be interested to see how the Tisas holds up over some serious use and several thousand rounds downrange. Proper metallurgy and machining tolerances are always my primary concern with these import firearms, but some of those issues aren't likely to show themselves under short-term casual range use.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tisas,Girsan,SDS,and other names they are sold under turn out some really good .45's, low price isnt always a bad thing. At one time those who didnt know better turned their noses up at Norinco .45's, and those of us who did were using them as a base for match pistols

Posts: 93 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everyone has the right to defend themselves, even if they have a tiny defense budget.

Do these Turkish 1911s have forged frames, or cast?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
According to their website, they are forged.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Everyone has the right to defend themselves, even if they have a tiny defense budget.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Wow. I know I’m assuming a bit here… But I don’t know how your forge a 1911 frame for that price.

FWIW, Dan Wesson‘s were generally cast. I bought one when I was truly busted and flat broke. Eventually sent it to Bruce and he put some Wilson parts in the trigger and the magwell. Upgraded over time, but with a cast frame, how far you wanna go?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be interested to see how the Tisas holds up over some serious use and several thousand rounds downrange. Proper metallurgy and machining tolerances are always my primary concern with these import firearms, but some of those issues aren't likely to show themselves under short-term casual range use.

Agree. Given youthful stamina, it would be instructive to do a trigger job on the factory parts, some ergonomics to suit it to say USPSA SS and shoot it a lot. Gunboard praise "I shot it 500 times, no problemo." does not mean a lot to somebody who might be an enthusiastic shooter on a limited budget.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
The blems are Tisas.

Still in stock.

But if you want new, dahlonegaarmory has them for about $340

I purchased the very same pistol, although not blemished about a month ago. I paid $400 for mine shipped from Tombstone Tactical.

I am so pleased with it , I am considering getting the same pistol in 9mm. I simply just want a basic 1911 and like this company better than the ones from the Phillipines.

Mine has been 100% and I carry it often. Only changes I have made is EGW angled bbl bushing, rat tail Colt grip safety, Wilson retro Commander hammer, and Wilson sear and disconnector.

I can't afford the upper end 1911's and frankly like this gun better than those. Tisas also makes the Duty series upgrade for about $150-$200 more with rail, better sights, etc.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

They are excellent pistols for the money. Reviews seem to show any problems with Tisas 1911's in the upgraded series. This model seems to fare much better. But I'm not one to shoot 20,000 rounds through it.

I'm on a budget. DW, Ed Brown, etc is out of my budget.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ruger SR1911 has a cast frame. No problems so far!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post