SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nitron finish in kydex vs leather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitron finish in kydex vs leather Login/Join 
posted
How has your nitron finish on all metal Sigs held up to kydex holsters? As a comparison, if you carry your sig in leather, how has the finish held up over time? Pics help.

Thanks

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 23, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The only way to prevent any and all holster wear on a gun is to never put it in the holster. If you carry, practice with and shoot your gun extensively, it will eventually develop some "character" on it. But in my own experience and reading, Kydex just "burnishes" the edges and corners, while rough-side-in (most are) leather contacts more of the gun's surfaces and acts like a razor strop, eventually creating more wear.

Posts: 27973 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Also, Nitron is (to the best of my knowledge) not just a coating, but a surface hardening treatment that penetrates the metal. As such, it is far harder/tougher than bluing.

Posts: 27973 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P6 came with a lot of holster wear from the Polizei leather holsters.

My P365 has been in a leather holster for a few years without any signs of wear.

My full sized pistols when carried, are in Safariland holsters, but the ones with the liner on the inside. No noticeable wear on those either.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I always thought Nitron was salt bath ferric nitrocarborizing.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Also, Nitron is (to the best of my knowledge) not just a coating, but a surface hardening treatment that penetrates the metal. As such, it is far harder/tougher than bluing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My P6 came with a lot of holster wear from the Polizei leather holsters.

My P365 has been in a leather holster for a few years without any signs of wear.

My full sized pistols when carried, are in Safariland holsters, but the ones with the liner on the inside. No noticeable wear on those either.

+

Thank you

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 23, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only prolonged EDC-carried a SIG once at any time in my life; a P229R German frame for about a period of 6 months. It was carried in a leather holster (DeSantis, if I remember right), and that holster did affect the Nitron finish a lot more that I thought it should have, given what I thought was a relatively short time that I actually carried the gun. The anodized frame also showed some edge wear as well, but it wasn't nearly as disappointing as the slide finish wear. Prior to the SIG I'd carried a Gen2 G19 for around 17 years in a couple of different leather holster, and I thought the slide on that Glock held up quite well in similar leather holsters. The poly frame's finish however didn't fare so well. Well worn smooth at spots on the sides of the polymer, but I'd expect that after over a decade and a half of almost daily carrying, which made the SIG's finish performance all that more disappointing given how relatively short its carry stint was.

I didn't have any holster made of Kydex or injected polymer for that gun at the time, so I have no reference on that aspect. Far more recently, I did carry my at-one-time secondary P365 a few times in a Kydex holster, though not enough so that I can offer a legitimate read on how well/bad that one's Nitron slide held up from consistent and prolonged carrying/handling.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of both worlds: leather-lined kydex. Garrett Holsters.

Posts: 39 | Location: Center of U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If you carry it it's gonna get wear...you've just gotta embrace that. If you want it to stay pretty leave it in the box. IMO the durability and retention of the holster trumps whatever it does to the finish of the gun. In my experience, both will burnish a Nitron finish. If you open or duty carry, though, the wear from the holster on the slide will be nothing compared to the scratches and chips on the anodized frame.

Rust is also a consideration, and regular wipedows/lube are important. I've gotten rust on the slides of stamped-steel sigs, mag releases of my P320s, and on Glock sights. Kydex doesn't hold moisture as much as leather, but sweat and the elements can cause problems for guns in either type of rig.

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
In my experience, with nearly all finishes, contact points on leather vs. kydex behave in two different ways.
Leather mainly polishes the high points on a pistol.
Kydex contact points will leave what can really only be described as a scratch.
Personally, I like what leather does to the finish of a pistol over the years.
Keeping a kydex holster wiped out will prevent dust, sand, tribbles, whatever, from building up and scratching the finish.
But it’s still gonna happen.
I have an old P220 that I carried in a hybrid holster for years. The leather side is nicely burnished. The kydex side has one or two long “scratches” where it came in contact with the holster.
But remember, this took years.
An old Glock G23 that I have mostly carried in leather has taken on a nice patina (IMO) where the holster has polished all the sharp corners.
YMMV.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with honest wear...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My P320 has been in a hybrid [leather back, kydex front] IWB since I bought it.
Years of EDC & there's some slight wear on the kydex side right where the top edge of the holster touches the slide.
None that I can recall on the leather side.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I always thought Nitron was salt bath ferric nitrocarborizing.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

From everything I have been able to find, Nitron is just a DLC coating.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 342 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Nothing wrong with honest wear...Just sayin' Wink

No but it's the dishonest wear that hurts. I literally ruined the finish on a pistol holstering/re-holstering it THREE times in one of my kydex holsters. No, it doesn't say much for the finish. Frown

I recently bought my third Garret holster and they'll be my go to for such things from here on.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post