SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ptr 9mm,Zenith,HK mp5 opinions please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ptr 9mm,Zenith,HK mp5 opinions please. Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
Sig folks,
I have shot the sig mpx,and quite a few of other sbr 9mm guns.I always am pulled back to getting a hk5.
But the cost is to high for me to get a hk5.
I see a few hk5 clones on the market.
The ptr 9mm has really caught my eye.
My question is to the hk5 owners,and the hk5 clone owners.
Are you happy with your ptr 9mm?
Thanks for any and all advice

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tuumunz,

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a clone a while back and I can't remember the name of the company who made it but it was a direct blow back and not the roller like the better clones. It functioned ok but my friend had a Coharie,I think that is how it is spelled, and it was much nicer and used HK parts. They used to be cheap when they first came out but they all run around $1500-2000. PTR clones have been around a while now and they can be hit or miss. I often thought about getting one and have read up on them but to get one that doesn't work right can be a pain to resell/fix, especially the welds.Unfortunately that pertains to all of the clones. I guess that is the reason HK costs so much, they actually fit right.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a HK5? I’m familiar with the HK MP5, but never heard of a HK5.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ones now made in Horry County, South Carolina are quite nice and deserve serious consideration...they're not cheap and yet a small bargain for the money.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
sorry hk mp5

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a real loooong look at the MKE Zenith Z5RS !!
You won't be disappointed, and they have a great customer service. Warranty is for 5 years. These guns are made in Turkey on the HK MP5 tooling, and have been made there for years and exported to many different countries.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
The ones now made in Horry County, South Carolina are quite nice and deserve serious consideration...they're not cheap and yet a small bargain for the money.

Do you have a web link?

Also, where's "andyb" when you need him?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Ironmike mentioned earlier check out
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/. That section is inhabited by a bunch of HK MP5 fanatics and you'll hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about HK MP5s and it's clones.

For the HK purist nothing else but a genuine HK will do. They are undoubtedly at the top of the list. Many people are kind of snobbish about the HK brand and will settle for nothing less, and I'm not saying they are wrong, but there are other brands that make a quality product also and are generally more reasonably priced.

Below that generally comes Zenith, mostly because they are built on original HK licensed machinery and are probably the closest to the original design. Quality seems to vary according to batches imported but generally owners are well pleased with them.

PTR probably comes next. It's a US company that manufactures HK clones. They've been getting a lot of good reviews and come with a lifetime warranty.

Omega is another brand that pops up from time to time that you might want to check out. It seems the number of MP5 clone manufacturers is growing.

I just purchased a PTR 9KT a week or so ago and so far I'm very well satisfied with it. I did have a couple of minor concerns but PTR addressed them immediately. Their customer service is excellent. I chose PTR because they have been receiving generally excellent reviews, and a big plus is the lifetime warranty. They are generally a few dollars cheaper than Zeniths.

I suggest that you spend some time on the HK forum. You can learn a lot from the people that post there, just as I have been doing.

You'll find the original HK is extremely hard to come by unless you are willing to pay a premium price. The Zenith products come into the country in batches which sell pretty quickly so you may have to wait to find what you want. The PTR is probably easier to acquire because they are made in the US.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice summary rlbuzz, thank you.

I don't own one but when I was looking at these Zenith was my choice but that was before PTR came out with theirs.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
I have a PTR 9KT and have shot 250 rounds through it without any issues at all. The SBR tax stamp was approved last week, so now it has a stock and it will get shot even more now. I am glad I bought it.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kokopelli
posted Hide Post
PSA has a clone on the horizon, too.

Posts: 246 | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kokopelli:
PSA has a clone on the horizon, too.

Allegedly.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Zenith MKE has been very accurate, very dependable and a whole lot of fun

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The HK mp5 is the classic 9mm sub gun.
PTR had the licensing and tooling from Portugal. Kinda like Taurus using Smith & Wesson tooling to produce knock off “Smiths”. Quality was up and down. It did get better with time. Original HK parts can be substituted.
Clones came out really big in the 90’s - Arizona had several machine shops using surplus HK parts, making some parts to be 922r compliant. Quality was up and down. Cohaire, Vector, Special Weapons, Bobcat, Tactical Weapons, Top Notch Accessories, all produced in that era. Quality was down- replacement extractors and rollers corrected most of the quality issues. Google Todd Bailey for that debacle.
Atlantic firearms then brings working clones to the market, but at a price point not that far from an original used HK price. Zenith comes in , producing Turkish MP5’s.

HK at this time goes polymer- enter the USP and UMP line. It costs too much to produce P7’s and MP5’s. The future is polymer for LE and Military contracts. Now the MP5 becomes the Colt “Python”. Demand is up- no production.
Look at the HK UMP- compare it to he the CZ Scorpion. Polymer, relatively inexpensive-durable. Reliable and cheap mags.
There is nothing like an iconic HK MP 5.
That’s my 2 cents.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two of the MKE guns, one when it was imported by ATI and one imported by Zenith. Both were great guns that worked well. I would buy with confidence.

That being said I’m thinking about getting a PTR now. They seem to be getting great reviews and are assembled a state over. They just released an FDE version that looks too cool to me.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
FWIW Dept.

Spoke to the ZENITH guys at SHOT Show a few times. They seemed to be truly committed to a quality product. I was impressed by them.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is the Zenith restrictor tab required for import, or for semi-auto status? I “need” to pick one up before July.

Posts: 9968 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
I was able to shoot the PTR pistol (PTR-600 I think) last week for the first time. This is the one with the 8" barrel and it was a lot of fun. It didn't have the brace or stock so I was out of my element a little bit. After a magazine I was dialed it and destroying the steel from about 15-20 yards away. It was fun and ran great. I am intrigued with the smaller PTR that has the 4" barrel just not sure if I would enjoy the limited real estate for my hand on the rail.

I have shot an HK MP5 before and too be honest I couldn't have deciphered a difference between the two. Overall, it shot well, was accurate and I had fun with it. It was only about 50 rounds but that was my experience. Good luck.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Shot the 8" PTR with the folding full-length brace (the one trying to be an analog to a UMP/MP5A2 stock) side-by-side with my MPX 8".

It confirmed my desire to have at least one, preferably two MP5 clones in my safe when funds allow. Very smooth shooter, good trigger, puts you right in your favorite 80's/90's action movie. Really the only thing that puts my MPX above the PTR clone, from a shooting perspective, is the ergonomics and AR-platform manual of arms. Comparing them from the range toy perspective, the MP5/PTR is arguably cooler, and in my hands was just as accurate. I didn't bench anything, just shot them offhand, but didn't notice any difference in groups unless I started trying to run the PTR fast. Not bad for a gun I had just picked up, compared to a gun I've got over 1000 rounds through.

I did stop at the Zenith booth at the NRAAM in Indy, and their stuff just felt a cut above in terms of fit, finish, function IMHO. Whether or not it's worth the price premium is up to you.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post