SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 takedown lever removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 takedown lever removal Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a new M18. As usual(curiosity) I field stripped it ... easy as ever. I wanted to look at the FCU with safety so I attempted to remove the takedown lever ... I used a sharpie to push in from the right side ... no problem. But I'm twisting and pulling for everything my arthritic fingers can muster and I can't get the lever out of the left side! Any and all help will be appreciated. Does either the slide lock or the safety need to be manipulated? Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bpnkrtn,

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you are "twisting" it back and forth, make sure it's lined up with the hole and try turning it counterclockwise only while pulling on it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why Sig makes things difficult after owning 10 P320's of various models, I never had one single one that was easy to use. The lever you're talking about is a pain, one side of the lever has a flat side that you line up with the flat side on the FCU, IF you look from the top through the FCU and twist the lever you will see the flat side ON THE LEVER this matches up with the flat side on the FCU. The flat side on the FCU is at about 4 o'clock these 2 flat spots need to line up to get it out. It will take some wiggling to make it happen but you don't have to add a lot of force just wiggle and twist and pull. Good LUCK

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have had problems with P320 takedown levers on occasion, but not very often.

Therefore, for anyone who is actually interested, I’ll repeat my advice to smoothly rotate the part counterclockwise while pulling on it rather than twisting or wiggling it back and forth.
(That advice also applies to the TDLs of SIG Classic line pistols—something I was taught by the legendary George Harris during my first armorer course nearly 20 years ago.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have had problems with P320 takedown levers on occasion, but not very often.

Therefore, for anyone who is actually interested, I’ll repeat my advice to smoothly rotate the part counterclockwise while pulling on it rather than twisting or wiggling it back and forth.
(That advice also applies to the TDLs of SIG
Classic line pistols—something I was first taught by the legendary George Harris during my first armorer course nearly 20 years ago.)

Well I'll will gladly try your counterclockwise rotation the next time I field strip my 320's and hopefully it will work flawlessly.
Even single 320 I've owned the lever has been ridicules hard to rotate, to field strip. I finally purchased a armorers block that works wonderfully to accomplish everything other than removing the take down lever from the frame.

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If you are "twisting" it back and forth, make sure it's lined up with the hole and try turning it counterclockwise only while pulling on it.

OP here. Damn ... that was simple and worked flawlessly on one try. Thank you very much Sir!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You are welcome. Smile

I do have a block/tool by “The SIG Armorer” with a cutout for rotating the takedown lever. My old, arthritic hands sometimes have difficulty with the initial rotation necessary to remove the slide and rather than fight with it the block makes it easy. Removing the TDL is easier because we’re no longer compressing the recoil spring at that point.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
They are all very tight when new. I lube the o-ring with a silicon grease used in scuba maintenance. Special for oring maintenance and a non petroleum product. ===

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You do it a few times and it 'becomes' intuitive.

It was a pain when you first do it and think...WTH?!

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund; a BIG THANK YOU! I've had difficulty in the past getting that #@^ takedown lever out, but
following your lead really works! Thanks again!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post