SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber Micro 9 discussion - Care to discuss?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Micro 9 discussion - Care to discuss? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I have a micro 9. Love it. No issues at all. Just upgraded to the Galloway Precision flat wound 22lb spring. It’s supposed to be a replacement for the twin springs that the micro 9 comes with... however mine was BNIB from a reputable dealer, and it has a flat wound spring, albeit a lot shorter and less poundage.

Has anyone ever tried this spring out? Reliable?

Sorry to post this in SIG Pistols, but the Kimber Forum is a shitshow of ads and ridiculousness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I traded a Colt Gov't .380 and some cash for one. I really like it, a slick little package, but don't get to shoot it much. Can't help with spring info, watching the thread for stuff I might need to know. From past threads here, I think several of us have one.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can ask your questions without criticizing another forum.

The tagline of this section of the forum says "Discussion of SIG and other pistols". If it's a handgun, it can be discussed in this section of the forum, reagrdless of the manufacturer.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You can ask your questions without criticizing another forum.

Noted and thread title adjusted.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
The impression I'm getting is Kimber has worked out out whatever issues they had, and the guns being produced now are proving themselves to be quite reliable. I'm happy about this, as I've always thought Kimber made good looking guns. Now it seems their reliability is catching up. If this is true, they will sell a lot of guns.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had any issues with mine, aside of there is never enough ammo. =)

I wish there were enough sales to support more aftermarket parts. I know Galloway has a trigger kit for it, bit it doesn’t do anything to the spring, sear or hammer. Makes me think it’s only aesthetic. Granted, it’s a tiny pistol, and doing match grade upgrades on it is pretty useless as it still is a short barrel.
But as with all things such as cars and guns, it’s never a bad thing to "soup them up".

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I wish there were enough sales to support more aftermarket parts.

I had a hard enough time finding aftermarket grips. I thought a small package in 9mm might be snappy and put on the most aggressive grips I could find. Turns out I like these --

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between the Micro 9 and the Sig P938?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
There are minor differences to be sure, mostly cosmetic, however, in a nutshell, one is marked SIG Sauer and one is marked Kimber. And then there is the Springfield Armory 911.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Not the same but I think valid, the Sig P238 and the Colt Gov't .380 are the same design, rights bought from Colt I believe. The Colt is thinner, less blocky, a nicer implementation of the design. The Colt had flaws, the Sig is a better gun. I bought a P238 because I knew the Colt couldn't be trusted and I loved the design. I like the Sig, loved the Colt.

The Micro 9 compares cosmetically to the Colt, as I said, it's slick. Just marginally bigger than the Colt. I can't say if it's better than the P938, so far no problems seem to have surfaced. All else being equal, I much prefer the Kimber.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

I had a hard enough time finding aftermarket grips. I thought a small package in 9mm might be snappy and put on the most aggressive grips I could find. Turns out I like these --

I like the grips. I bought the TLE, so it came with some pretty aggressive G10 grips. I definitely like those grips though.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

IMO I think you get more for your money with the Sig, plus Sig has been making these things a lot longer than anyone else.

More for your money means the majority of the Sigs come with night sights. They come with ambi safeties if that is important to you.(it's not to me I remove them) I think they all come with 2 mags now, the legions come with 3. All the Sig come with front strap checkering. The Micros do not. One other thing, the Kimber Micros all have a traditional internal extractor. The Sigs have a working and very reliable external extractor. Kimber seems to be the only company that could never make an external extractor work, at least not on a 1911 style gun.

They are both nice guns and in the end, buy what you like the best, money and features be damned. Smile

For the OP re the flatwire spring. Sig first put out the P238 with a normal coil spring. The guns had a lot of issues with extraction/ejection. They soon started making them with a flatwire recoil spring and that seemed to solve the issues. The P938 has always come from the factory with a flatwire spring. Regardless of weight, they need to be changed every 500 rounds. Springs are cheap. If Kimber Micros are now shipping with flatwire springs then they have figured it out.

PS when Sig used the original coil springs in the P238 they recommended changing them after 200 rounds. The flatwire springs lengthened that round count for a spring change.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just brought home a used one. I only had time to run 1 7-rd mag throught it. The top round likes to nosedive, so I had several failures to feed. I need to test the other mags, but I don’t see any mag springs at all or mags in stock.

Does anyone have any experience using 938 mags?

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

For the OP re the flatwire spring. Sig first put out the P238 with a normal coil spring. The guns had a lot of issues with extraction/ejection. They soon started making them with a flatwire recoil spring and that seemed to solve the issues. The P938 has always come from the factory with a flatwire spring. Regardless of weight, they need to be changed every 500 rounds. Springs are cheap. If Kimber Micros are now shipping with flatwire springs then they have figured it out.

PS when Sig used the original coil springs in the P238 they recommended changing them after 200 rounds. The flatwire springs lengthened that round count for a spring change.

I understand springs are cheap to protect your gun from malfunctions and battering, it just seems to me 500 rounds is hardly enough to affect the recoil spring.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve left mine stock. I’m amazed with its accuracy & don’t care to dick with it & tilt its reliability. I’ve since acquired a few different capacity mags. Conceals very easy, presents fast. Only downside I’ve found is its finish isn’t as durable but I’ll CCR it in time. It’s a keeper.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post