Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MK25 slide Login/Join 
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
I never understood the little anchor marking. I have seen the 226 SEALs use way back when and I swear they didnt have those markings.

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The anchor is a marketing gimmick from Sig. The MK25 civilian model, it is essentially the same gun. Internal parts are phosphated the same as the NSW guns as is the chrome treated bore, but it’s my understanding that no Navy guns came with an anchor.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swiss_seth:
I never understood the little anchor marking. I have seen the 226 SEALs use way back when and I swear they didnt have those markings.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The anchor is a marketing gimmick from Sig. The MK25 civilian model, it is essentially the same gun. Internal parts are phosphated the same as the NSW guns as is the chrome treated bore, but it’s my understanding that no Navy guns came with an anchor

The early (older) NSW adopted P226s most certainly did not have the anchor on the slide, however later SIG supplied/ issued contract P226s did, as evidenced in the infamous armory pics posted here, and elsewhere on the internet. It's also worth noting that the NSW contract over-run P226s had the anchor on the slide, in addition to the other required contract spec features.

What's more interesting, at least to me, is that the other NSW issued SIGs appear not to have the anchor on the slide. Also, unless I'm mistaken and they added it recently, the Glocks the NSW adopted and issued also do not have the anchor on the slide, nor did the HK MK 23.

My take on the SIG anchor-supplied guns was that while it didn't do anything to enhance the performance of the guns, neither did it degrade their performance. If anything, the anchor might be an indicator, a suggested possibility, that that particular P226 came equipped with the particular features spec'd by the NSW contract.

I use the words "indicator" and "possibility" only because some owners reported a timeframe/ model range in which the "corrosion resistant internal finish" was not included on their particular guns. Personally, I've never been able to confirm or deny these reports. I've also never been able to confirm whether the corrosion resistant internal finish was an actual contract requirement, or possibly if it was an NSW contract spec at one point and, perhaps, later dropped... although the later model iterations up through the MK 25 do have it as a standard feature.

I don't believe the P226 "Navy" anchor was ever contract spec'd and see the anchor as unnecessary, but a nifty little extra that might help to both improve squadron pride/ espirit de corps and civilian market enthusiasm, and it might even have served as an 'NSW contract sweetner', a visual cue that helped to identify and showcase SIG's long-standing relationship with the NSW, over other gun brands.

The anchor is really not so different from morale patches worn by troops, or "artwork" scratched into finishes and butt stocks, or grip panels carved by warriors that both improve grip traction and personalize their issued sidearms.

I'd prefer non NSW spec'd "frankenguns" to not have the anchor for purely aesthetic reasons.. but it's small, unobtrusive, and if the slide it's on serves a purpose, it's something I can live with.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
sorry for missleading people. I thought the legion slide was complete.

I didn't do my research.

My own problem for not being more observant... but really not an issue. Like I said, I have a barrel and several recoil springs and just need a guide rod to make it complete. The only reason I got both was the ability to change out two of my P226s in 357sig to 9mm.... seems it would enhance the worth of both pistols (when I'm gone, possibly, maybe) now whether that will be the added $300 or so, I'll never know.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to 289 if anybody missed out last time.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just placed my order 11/27/2021.
$289.99 with free usps shipping.

Thanks wolfe for the heads up!

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Both of mine came Fedex.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Question, can you just place this on a P226 .40 frame and it will work or do you have to make some changes? (breech block/locking block whatever its called)

Posts: 1470 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Question, can you just place this on a P226 .40 frame and it will work or do you have to make some changes? (breech block/locking block whatever its called)

Yes, I did exactly this as have many others. I have an older .40 (no rail) that currently wears the upper from a newer Exeter 9mm frame and vice versa. Additionally, I have an older folded slide upper that works fine on either frame.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post