SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which -->target<-- style .22 autos feed hollowpoints well?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which -->target<-- style .22 autos feed hollowpoints well? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Specifically, if yours can feed Winchester Super-X .22LR 40gr HP's , that's my interest.

This is for bowling pin top /steel plate matches.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My ruger MKIII 22/45 digests everything I feed it. My dad has a MKII and it does the same.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I've ran them through my Walther PPQ 5" 22LR. No issues.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot them through My Mk II, Mk III, and MKIV Rugers with no issues.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mk I and Mk II Rugers both feed that bullet w/o a problem. They also handle the Rem. Golden Bullet h.p. and the Mini Mag h.p. flawlessly.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
My S&W Victory has fed everything that I have tried in it.
I've used the SuperX 40 gr Hollow points in it and it likes them.
It will even cycle with 5 out of 10 CCI Quiet 22, which won't normally cycle any semi auto.
It is also a very accurate handgun

The SuperX works well for bowling pins but for Steel Plates, I prefer CCI Std. Velocity. The marginally lower recoil allows for better times.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you say target autos I think of a completely different class of gun than those described above ( smith 41 hammerli walther gsp types) which are pretty much purpose built around standard velocity ammo.
Regarding the Winchester ammo I have several low to mid grade pistols ( beretta jaguar Colt challenger smith 422) that pretty much eat everything but choke on the winchesters. From what I have seen Winchester 22 ammo is that brands answer to competing against the Remington thunderbolt for ammo with variable report higher than average number of misfires and general unreliability!
At this point after decades of 22 use (and thankfully with many more choices and easy availability that was unheard of a year ago) my choices in 22 ammo are CCI,European, Mexican Aguila and as a last resort federal ( no bulk pack trash please) I will run Winchester or Remington only as a last resort if I can't find anything else to buy or I get it free

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
captain127, I was told by the seller (I think it was Champions Shooters Supply) that these Winchesters were consistently accurate, dependable and very popular with squirrel hunters.

I figured that with the full 40gr weight and wide open mouth, they'd be good on our combination pin and plate matches.

I found that my M41 wouldn't feed them dependably.

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My NRA edition MKIII feeds everything I have tried since Christmas both suppressed and not.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3644 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning Buckmark here, doesn't ever jam although I don't recall shooting Win X through it. Lots of Federal and CCI.

This version:

My 10/22 rifle on the other hand:-(

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 7" M41 barrel which I use for ammunition tests.

Most .2LR Ammunition will feed and fire reasonably well in my M41s with this barrel. Some really hot stuff like Stingers will not chamber in most target pistols. Some "hot" ammunition fails to extract as well as others. Since we are looking for as close to 100% reliability as we can find, we avoid the 98% stuff and use that which is most reliable.
With the exception of CCI Standard Velocity, most of the 100% reliable ammunition is expensive target grade ammunition made by the likes of Eley, Lapua, RWS, etc.

Back to the 7" barrel. Almost all 22LR ammunition is designed reach maximum velocity in a 16" barrel. The exception is ammunition designed for target pistols.

I have done extensive tests to determine velocity spreads in 22lr ammunition shot from my 7" barrel. The spreads are surprisingly wide and certainly effect drop at 50 yards/meters. The width of the spread is proportional to the costs of the ammunition.

My main point here is that the average velocity of the super velocity, hyper velocity, warp speed, and standard vel is all quite close coming from my 7" barrel and even closer coming from the normal 4-5" barrel. From the 7" barrel I expect to see about 925fps, unfortunately I often see variations from 900-970fps out of the same lot.

I doubt if you will see much difference in pin knock down from any 22LR ammunition fired from a target pistol.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Interesting and thoughtful post, oldRoger, and thank you. I have been using CCI standard velocity .22's in my M41, and they function as well as any. My M41 is nowhere near 98% with any ammo I have tried.

It would be fun to set up an experiment with new sawn off pin tops and several types of .22LR ammo, using the same pistol and a bag or machine rest for perfectly centered hits.

I think two factors beyond velocity may be important: Kinetic energy and bullet round nose versus large hollow point.

Hollow point ammo does make a difference with centerfire handgun and rifle ammo on full size pins. It might also with rimfire on pin tops.

Here is a KE chart:

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/2011graphs+/22ME.html

If you look at the 5.5" barrel Y axis, there is as much as 40 ft-lbs muzzle energy difference between some of the .22LR ammo tested.

posted Hide Post
The regular Beretta 87 feeds anything, so I assume their Target 87 will too.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
The regular Beretta 87 feeds anything, so I assume their Target 87 will too.

My Beretta 87T eats everything that I've fed it, from high velocity downwards. I haven't tried hollow points, but I'd bet that it would cycle those too.

I've settled on Aguila Pistol Match for all of my range shooting. The 40gr bullets are firmly clinched in the cases. At a stated 925 FPS, it's at the low end of standard velocity. Thanks to the low chamber pressure, the breech of my 87T stays relatively clean. And I kinda like the aroma of the Ely primers. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you look at the 5.5" barrel Y axis, there is as much as 40 ft-lbs muzzle energy difference between some of the .22LR ammo tested.

If you try to chamber some of those rounds (Stinger & Velocitor, for example) in a target chamber you will find that they don't go.

In fact, some rifle chambers are too tight for them. The only one shown that I keep is the Velocitor, they will fire in one 10/22 that I have and in a M63.

SK and Eley both make hunting rounds that are a bit above standard velocity and would be worth a try.

But you can see from the 'by-the-inch chart that all of the energies drop fast as the barrel length drops.

I doubt that you would need a machine rest for your test. Use a good bag and use care in setting up your experiment.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post