SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm handgun comparisons, pt 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm handgun comparisons, pt 1 Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

After completing some work on a few handguns, I was doing some dry fire comparisons of trigger pull and reset. I haven't taken them to the range yet for true comparisons under use, so cannot yet comment on accuracy/recoil.

The 4 pistols compared where: 1958 Browning Hi Power [GP35- Austrian], 2015 Beretta 92G-SD with Langdon Tactical Trigger Job in a Bag, 2018 Sig P226 Nitron with SRT and Short Reach trigger installed, 2021 CZ 75d Compact/PCR with Cajun Gun Works Pro-Package/Defensive Pistol installed.

The first thing that stood out was that the DA trigger pull on the Beretta was very smooth and not very stiff, but seemed longer with the TJIB installed. Nice, but longer.

Sig DA trigger pull was shorter than Beretta, and felt smoother, but was also a bit 'heavier' [running 19lb hammer/main spring for 22 conversion ignition].

CZ 75D Compact trigger pull was almost as smooth as the others [I didn't polish all the parts as much as I could have], but felt lighter than either AND felt like the DA trigger pull was shorter.

BHP is single action, so will be compared there.

Ranking:
1- Cajunized CZ.
2- Sig with SRT and Short reach trigger.
3- Beretta with all those parts

When pistol was in Single-Action mode, they all felt pretty great.

The BHP is actually pretty light on the trigger [before they went to 32lb hammer springs] and had a VERY crisp break, but- a LONG reset. Almost all the way out.

The CZ had a light, relatively crisp, break, with second-longest reset. I would say the reset felt like around 1/4-3/8". Maybe 3/16th inch out. I liked this for a carry/duty purpose!

Sig with Short Reset had a light relatively crisp break, with the Sig Short Reset reset- which felt shorter than the CZ, but not the shortest. Very happy with it.

The Beretta, with Langdon trigger bar, Langdon Sear, Wilson hammer and Wilson Trigger: it had the crispest trigger break, which seemed about as light as I would ever feel comfortable with a 9mm. The reset felt like a couple of my competition .22lr pistols- around .1" or less.

In ranking the triggers based on reset:
1- Beretta
2- Sig
3- CZ [but, the reset I'd prefer if I were doing EDC with the pistol]
4- BHP [great for duty, but modern designs eclipse the reset].

As for the crispness of the trigger break, I'd rank them such:
1- Beretta/BHP [tied for break feel itself]- not related to takeup or reset aspects.
2- Sig
3- CZ

Now, NONE of them are exactly a slouch in any of these three categories, and my friends [ok- you caught me. My friend- singular] know that I am a bit of a trigger snob.

The CZ surprised me, but that is why I spent the money on 'cajunizing' it.

So far, these are my impressions on strictly the trigger feel of them.

It was interesting to me that the Sig seemed to be #2 in all of my categories, while what was 1 in one category could wind up 3 in the other.

I tried to keep this comparison to my 3 DA/SA 9mms, and my 'benchmark' for 9mm success- BHP.

For those of you who have operated Beretta/CZ/Sig with these trigger upgrades- did you experience the same thing? Or were your experiences different? I know no two guns take gunsmithing exactly the same.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Good report. For my purposes a very nice DA trigger is the priority with a clean SA break. The Cajun CZ I have is excellent as is my German P226. I don’t have a Langdon Beretta yet but my 92FS with D spring is very nice.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a Cgw SAO straight trigger on a CZ I had a bit ago. I really like the greyguns triggers for the 22x series and have one on my 229 that is like a drop-in visit to a custom shop.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all these guns mostly in the condition you describe. My Sig Legion isn’t even close to my LTT or Cajunized CZ’s. Beretta and CZ are close but I give the edge to CZ due to the shorter DA stroke and much better and shorter reset. Note that I don’t currently have the latest greatest Langdon trigger bar which would address part of that.

I also find that the CZ frame just fits my hand better so subjectively I think I like the triggers better all else being equal.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an original Beretta 92 FS Centurion with a Langdon TJIAB I installed myself, which was at the outer limits of what I felt I could accomplish.

I also have a BHP from 1989 that I bought because while the finish was a bit worn, it had a supremely crisp trigger from a previous owner. I've had both pistols refinished by CCR.

I really like both, but the BHP wins by a nose because the ergonomics almost make me sigh in just how perfect it is for me. I like SA, and the trigger break is truly like a glass rod.

As for my Beretta, with the ultra thin grips and the TJIAB, it is very sweet. The DA/SA is exceptionally smooth, and the pistol just looks fantastic and shoots as well as it looks.

Both are keepers. My son really likes the BHP and has laid claim to it. My nephew (in law) feels the same about the Beretta, so I know they will someday (year/decade) go to good homes.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel my P226 with Grayguns Trigger and my Beretta WC92G are pretty equal. I had a CZ Shadow and sold it because I felt the trigger was TOOO easy and if I sneeze it might go off and also the slide was harder for me to rack [compared to Sig].

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post