SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does the 9mm P229 still have a place?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does the 9mm P229 still have a place? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
First off, it is not the intention to discourage or talk bad about anyone’s choices in the 229. It is merely from a nerd place that I sadly live at. I understand the origin and reasoning behind the P228 and ultimately the P229.

It just occurs to me that the P229 doesn’t do anything better than the P226. It’s a fraction smaller than the P226. In most cases, it’s only a couple ounces lighter unloaded. It’s wider in some places than the P226. The magazine capacity is less.

The place that the P229 9mm shines is the fact that out of box the gun doesn’t dip when it comes back into lock up like the P226 does. You have to mess with the P226s recoil springs and guide rod to take that out.

But, in the 1990s, it was a “compact” (somewhat) choice. In 2022, there are smaller (or at least the same size) DA/SA options. And I actually think the SP2022 fills the intended role better.

From the nerd perspective (not the personal choice at all), what do you think?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I never owned one until recently, and find myself wanting to buy more and considering it as my go to for a lot of situations.

It’s my bedside gun at this point and once my Maryland permit is approved I will likely carry one during cold months.

I always THOUGHT it was too big, but after owning a few now I realize I was wrong. It’s no LCP but I’m really liking mine.

AND…it’s my opinion that there is nothing sexier than the 1/2 serrations slide. Especially in a reverse two-tone. (Black slide)

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I love the P229 Legacy 9mm. And when it comes to carry, every little smaller dimension counts, especially for smaller folks like me. Less capacity than its older brother? No problem. 15 + 1 is plenty adequate. And, the gun balances better for me.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I think Sig should make a P226 carry 4" like they did with the P220. Since the grip length on a P229 and P226 are so very close anyway the shorter slide will help with IWB carry and take care of that dip.
The Glock 45 is becoming their most popular pistol so there's a good precedent.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tarheelfan84
posted Hide Post
IMO, yes it does. For example not everyone has the luxury of owning multiple handgun platforms and the 228/229 series can fill multiple roles if one was just limited to being able to own one handgun. I actually prefer the 228 over the 226.

Posts: 677 | Location: WNC  | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, mine does. I know it's only about a half inch smaller and a couple ounces lighter than the 226, but somehow that makes a difference to me.

I won't bore you with another pic of my baby as most of you have seen it enough times. Oh, what the heck... Big Grin

P229R Fully Ported - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And when it comes to carry, every little smaller dimension counts...

This, exactly.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the 299 is an odd duck. Me (big frame) the difference to a 226 is zero in terms of carry. And I shoot the 226 better overall. now if all I had was a 229 no issue. I've quite a few of them on principle with my sig addiction, but I never cared much for them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I think Sig should make a P226 carry 4" like they did with the P220.

They did, it was called the PROTO-1. Unfortunately only one [prototype] was made and Q is its proud owner. Per his original observation, I concur that they should have made this pistol a reality.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The magazine capacity is less.

A decade or so ago this was still true. But with the coming of the dash 1 configuration utilizing the wider 40S&W P226 magwell dimension in the 9mm, the standard magazine capacity between the current P229 and P226 is identical at 15 rounds in each respective box mag. This despite the P226's magazine being physically taller than the P229-1's.

When SIG initially released the P229-1 I long thought that it was weird that something similar didn't happen with the larger P226 (like a flush fit 17 or 18 round capacity). As a result it was the P226 that I thought was kind of the odd one out.

As for the P229's relevancy, for me it's the P229 that's the preferable choice. Much like how a Glock 19 is generally my preferred choice between it and the larger G17.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
As for the P229's relevancy, for me it's the P229 that's the preferable choice. Much like how a Glock 19 is generally my preferred choice between it and the larger G17.

This is pretty much how I feel about P226 vs P229 and G17 vs G19. You can make a compact gun bigger, but you can't make a full size gun smaller.

Mag capacity - add mag extensions

Muzzle velocity - use a threaded barrel

Sight radius - a thinner front sight &/or smaller front dot (e.g., fiber optic) will make up for the longer sight radius a longer slide provides. Also, this is nearly irrelevant if you've gone to reflex sights.

About the only thing a compact can't compensate for is if you have big mitts, then a full size grip may feel more comfortable to you.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
MMMM.....

Well I'd say if the Glock 19 size/USP compact/P2000SK/P30SK/VP9SK and all similar guns have a "place" in defensive handguns/CCW.

Then I'd say the P228/229 still has a place in defensive handguns/CCW pieces.

If we're pretending only micro compacts have a place then no none of those guns have a place....

but if you're like me and microcompacts aren't you're thing (a wee too small for my grip)

Modern P228/P229 magazines easily hold 15-18 rounds which is more than a GLock 19 or 17 for that matter, so then do those guns have no place as they don't have the same firepower....(of course they do)

Now the P229-1 does it have a place, nah it shouldn't have been made Smile .

P226 magazines are only slightly better at 20 rounds at max for Mec-Gar or about 17-18 for regular Mec-Gar or less at 15 if you stayed with SIG.

in addition, 3.9 or 4 inch barrels are about my sweet spot where I'm on one hand ok with the velocity for the projectiles and also its shorter than a full size gun by about .5 inches. at least.

I have had great accuracy from both P226's and P228/P229 even P229-1 (I know, I have one it was an accident actually).

I also like the Glock 19 size (Glock 32 for me) and the gen 3 feels perfect in my grip, of course that sort of thing is "your mileage may vary" etc, personally I don't care for the bigger Glocks don't see an advantage of getting 2 more rounds for all the extra size.

Unless you're my 6 foot 5 inch tall nephew with huge hands these mid sized guns are great when you want something full sized but not quite full sized.

I have carried a Glock 32 and P229 for something like 15+ years as a CCW never had a problem concealing either, and due to the accuracy/reliability, ease of carry.

I always knew I had something that I could rely on.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan starting with my LGS buy of a new 229 .22lr model for $449 ten years ago. This has led to more SIG models ever since. Before I got into P320s, I got a P220 .45 two tone, a 1911 STX, and a Mosquito. I still take the 229 to the range often, mostly in .22 and 9mm trim.
full kit:

.357 SIG:

.22 lr:

loaded:

I think it was watching NCIS that made me look into SIG/229.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

And I actually think the SP2022 fills the intended role better.

No comments on this statement? I have zero experience with the 2022, but picked up a 2340 recently. I haven't shot it yet.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO they are essentially interchangeable. I'carried both about equally and really can't tell the difference. I shoot both equally poorly.

To stir the pot, I see a jump in size when you throw the P225 into the mix.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my P229 shortly after they were introduced. 40S&W was the rage and the P229 was built for it. Sold my P228. I personally never could get right with that gun. Picked up a 9mm Romeo attached complete slide for the P229 and am not looking back. Now I've got an accurate gun in 2 calibers. Was going to get a slide setup for my P226 but mine is an older version so the slide would have to be factory fitted.

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with the OP. I am biased though. The 226 was my first work gun and what I learned to shoot with. The 229 didn’t even exist at that time (although the 228 did). Over the many years since then I have probably in total well over 30k rounds and at least 100k’s of dry reps through multiple examples of the 226. I’ve also shot extensively with 229‘s in both 9 and 40. As far as size and specs and, at least for me, carrying the two guns, there’s almost no difference between them. I generally carry a full size gun with no issue. The slight weight difference between them is insignificant with the right holster and belt at AIWB. However, probably due to my history with the gun, the 226 is also probably my all-time favorite pistol. It’s really for me like an easy switch as far as DA/SA goes. It is much more balanced in my hand than the 229 and for some reason has always been very forgiving of any slight lapse in proper grip or trigger manipulation. The 229 shoots fine for me but it’s not even close to the shooting characteristics of the 226. Like with most pistols I have to work to shoot the 229 well whereas I can run the hell out of the 226 and it is just a real pleasure to shoot. I do like the 229 and carry one on occasion but it doesn’t do anything for me that a 226 doesn’t do better.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 14, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
My Legion P229 is a safe queen right now, but for a long time I had a pair of them and they were my daily carry.

When the Army went with the M17 I switched everything (HD guns, carry guns) to the manual safety P320 platform. Then purchased a 365. Then purchased an XL. Then purchased another XL, and the XL is my current EDC appendix.

What relegated the P229 to the safe was less the size and weight (which to me are bonuses, not detractors, especially when carried OWB), but my decision to move my manual of arms from all traditional double action semi-autos to all striker fired autos, with some DA revolver thrown in so I don't forget how to shoot a gun with a long, heavy first pull.

To be honest, especially now, I ask the OP's question but in reverse. Why bother with a P226 when the P229 gives you probably 98% of the capability in a more compact package? I have a pair of P226s, an old milled slide non-rail and one of the first runs of Blackwater editions. The latter was my nightstand gun until I moved away from TDA actions, but even with the custom shop work I had done to it, I noticed a very negligible difference in performance when I shot the P229 Legion side by side with it.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
In addition to the slide/barrel length and mag size, the P229 is a slightly slimmer gun in the grip area. When I compare my JK P226 and my P229R I bought in 2006, the P229R feels slimmer in the hand. It is not High Power slender, but definitely noticeable.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Sigs. But sorry, I don't care for the 226. Please don't be mean, just my .02, I think the 229 is possibly the best overall pistol Sig ever made.

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post