SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does the 9mm P229 still have a place?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does the 9mm P229 still have a place? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’d take a 2022 over a 229 any day, I prefer the 226 to the 229, I could never shoot a 229 worth a damn.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Carried an M11 for work for years and just became comfortable with the size for the 228/229. I shoot it just as well of the 226, so for me, I saw no upside for the 226 over the 228/229. I think the 320 has really taken over the market. The flexibility of the platform is hard to match. I am happy to see that Sig is still supporting the classic series with innovative slides and models (Zev 226 and new 226 X Five come to mind). I have fond memories of getting my first P229 in 40 back in 1997 and paying $100 for pre-ban 12 rnd mags.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by azmercedes:
I love Sigs. But sorry, I don't care for the 226. Please don't be mean, just my .02, I think the 229 is possibly the best overall pistol Sig ever made.

Eek Blasphemy

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an older pre-rail P229 in .40. It was my first duty gun, and it's a good shooter. That said, it kinda sucks as a carry gun. It's fat and heavy.

It fits in the same holster as my P245, but the P245 carries much better. Part of that is the fact that the 245 holds fewer rounds so there's less ammo weight, but the girth of the P229 is also a factor. I carry the P245 regularly, but the P229 mostly resides in the safe. It's definitely the fat kid of my 3 compacts:

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The 2022 performs on par with the other legacy P series pistols in all categories but where it exceeds them, on price. I know a large number of folks that have P229’s in their stable of pistols. Although they won’t part with them, few carry or EDC them these days. The dawn of the micro pistol like the P365 & Hellcat had many turn a corner they won’t come back around from. The P229 does have an advantage in the multi caliber combo role if you own one in 40 /357 Sig. So I’d consider that a place too, right?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 2022 also exceeds them in out of the box accuracy. Every 2022 9mm I have picked up has the accuracy of a bullseye gun. Well, not really a bullseye gun, but that’s the best way I can express how mechanically accurate the gun is out of the box.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I've owned both models and enjoyed shooting them both equally. For whatever reason, sight picture, barrel length, etc., I shoot the 226 significantly better. I've kept my 226s and said a sad farewell to my 229 Elite. (My safe has become much smaller in my new empty-nest home.)

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I hope so. I bought a 229 Legion yesterday. Had a .40 years ago, I bought it along with a Beretta 96. Couldn't shoot either worth a darn. I'm hoping to shoot this one better. I'v had very good luck with the Legion series (320 and 226.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Man the 229 is a favorite of mine. I love that gun. Actually the 229 was first Sig I ever bought. The 226 and the 2022 are also favorites and the next two sigs I bought. As far as EDC I tend to use My Sig 239 more but there is something I like about the 229 so it does get to go with me on occasion.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 229s, one in each configuration and I’m still tempted when I see another one in 9mm at a good price.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
Carry a P229 most of the time, Used to carry a P220 Carry. For me, the P229 is no problem to carry. Tried a P320 Carry and preferred the hammer fired set-up. Occasionally I'll CCW a P365 when I'm too lazy to wear a belt. Proper belt and holster make all the difference.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Read this post, got a wild hair and carried my 229 Legion SAO yesterday around town running errands. It's fat and heavy but doable. I normally daily carry some flavor of lightweight 1911 or my Sig 365.

Based on yesterday, for EDC I prefer the larger chambering of the .45ACP and the slimmer profile of the 1911. Carrying the 10 round magazine in the Sig 365 with the extended 12 round round magazine doesn't put me at that much of a disadvantage in round count in a much smaller, thinner, lighter package.

Not a knock against the 229. For me there's just better choices for EDC. If I still lived in the lower 48 I could see it as being my, "Roadtrip Gun". Here in Alaska I prefer a larger cartridge than 9mm for roadtrips. My 229 is not going anywhere; I shoot it well, like the balance if it, I could see getting back into IDPA with it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
If looks could kill - yes! The form and function of the Legacy P229 - "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."-Obi-Wan Kenobi. The aesthetics of the 1/2 slide had me at first sight - pretty sleek - for a fat pistol! My first real SIG was a P229R! (I owned a Mosquito - but that doesn't count).

It's the biggest P-series I can comfortably carry AIWB (El Paso EZ Carry). I like the weight, the balance, the reduced recoil . . . And again, it's the aesthetics, a second kind of cool . . . I own several, most of them two-tone with wood grips (no rail, no tail). One that's all German.

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 229 gets a lot of rotation time in my truck console vault. I rotate the 229 and G19 in and out a few times a year. I shoot the 226/229 better than any of my other handguns as I have over 35 years on the Sig P series.

This may go against the current wisdom, but I like a heavier pistol for recoil management. The SRT in the 226/229 is very fast on follow ups. These pistols just feel right in my hand. The larger grip and weight feels good to me.

P365 IWB and P229 in the console. That is my daily driving around Houston setup.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course it does. it only receives bad love because it came after/replaced the 228.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I still think they make awesome suppressor hosts.

I'd love one with a threaded barrel and some trigger work.

It's on the list. Right after I find that G17L...

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have the legion. Love the weight and feel in the hand but the first trigger pull is a deal breaker for me. Admittedly I just don't practice it enough. For carry, I love striker fired. At the range, I love the 229 and 226.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a P229 in 357 Sig for twelve years. I believe the 229 does better with 357/40 cal than a 226 but, you asked about 9mm. The 226 has the balance and feel that a 229 will never have. The 229 slide may be slightly thicker but it feels like a brick compared to a 226, IMHO. I wouldn't turn down a free 229 but for legacy da/sa guns I own a 226, not a 229. Also, I bought my oldest son an SP2022 for his first pistol. The 2022 is a hidden gem.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post