SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to Sig, considering a p229, looking for other suggestions. Glove box pistol.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Sig, considering a p229, looking for other suggestions. Glove box pistol. Login/Join 
posted
I am looking to upgrade my glove box pistol. Currently carrying a Makarov, and considering a p229.

I prefer the alloy frame, DA/SA w/ decocker, and the reviews are very solid.

That said, I'm open to comparable Sig pistols, etc, for example a 2022. I am also looking at other makes such as CZ's alloy frame DA/SAs. FNX9, etc.

I'm also noticing there are not many 229's out there new. A few Legions. On the Sig Q&A they assure us that the pistol is still in production, but I haven't found a base model yet!

Thoughts on 229 vs the others for a vehicle carry pistol and 229 availability? Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's a pretty expensive glove box pistol. But if it's what you want, go for it.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Carry the 229 and put the Mak in the box.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
What NISMO said

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I ever carry, or travel, I typically take the glove box pistol, so I am not too worried about the cost, but I also haven't found a 229 for sale other than the Legion. Hoping to find one under $1000.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If that's what you want to do, then by all means add the 2022 to the options on your shopping list. They're still out there, and at prices comparable to a relatively affordable 365XL.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
what about the 239? I see those from time to time.

I hate to say it but my "car" pistol is my old HK VP9. I should just toss a Glock in the car since they're cheap and plentiful in case I need to replace it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cattivo - 2022 does check the boxes for me. I prefer alloy frame but that's more of a want. Is the 2022 difficult to get a hold of? Its on the website. Are these models (229, 2022) not being pumped out or just a ton of demand?

Chowser - If I understand correctly 239 is a single stack only, so not much of a difference from the Mak.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CZ PCR and P-01. Both metal, alloy frame, DA/SA, with decoker like the P229 but at a better location, in my experience. The PCR if you want slim and no accessory rail. The P-01 if you intend to hang stuff on it.

Q

Posts: 26516 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Your truck is not a gun safe.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Go with the 229 it's worth it, I have the 228 and 239, both are my go to guns.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
A 229 has been my carry gun since 2004. It's been a great firearm, but it will be replaced by a P365 for carry purposes in the near future.

The 365 is smaller, lighter, has similar capacity, and shoots really well. Previously the 229 had advantages over all the smaller pocket pistols, but I don't think it does anymore.

That said though, if you're dead set on a 229 it's a great gun. I've got 1 229 that has about 15k rounds through it, and one that probably has 2k rounds through it. Neither one has ever had a single failure of any kind. Weight and bulk are their only issue. Doesn't matter for a glove box gun, might matter because you said you take the glove box gun if you carry or travel.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apk_fl:
Cattivo - 2022 does check the boxes for me. I prefer alloy frame but that's more of a want. Is the 2022 difficult to get a hold of? Its on the website. Are these models (229, 2022) not being pumped out or just a ton of demand?

Don't know about production. There are two 2022s on everybody's favorite (or not so favorite) online gun auction site for $549 (I have no connection to either seller). Mags should be everywhere and probably cheap online.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
2022 is a great gun, its my winter carry

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2017 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My go to carry is a P229 SAS in 357 Sig and I love it but for truck pistol I'd go with a 2022. That's what I used to carry in my truck but it developed a reliability issue after having some finish work done and I've yet to find time to resolve it. Prior to that it was absolutely reliable. I've been throwing my P239 in there for now.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1908 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My truck pistol is a Glock but not because I can afford to lose it... it's a 32 with compensator barrel and guide rod laser and the mags also fit in my other truck gun...which is an TNW Aero pistol.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
By "glove box gun" do you mean a gun you routinely leave in the vehicle when it is unoccupied? If so, please don't do this. My department has taken over 1300 reports so far this year regarding weapons stolen from vehicles. It's a big problem and gives the left ammunition to paint gun owners as irresponsible.

If you have a need to routinely leave a weapon in a vehicle, please consider securing a small gun safe to the interior of the vehicle in a spot that is out of view.

Back on topic, the 229 is an excellent firearm. I own several. Solid, reliable, and accurate guns. They don't really fall into the category of what I would consider "travel" pistols. By that, I mean pistols that are inexpensive enough that should they be lost or stolen by an airline that I would not be overly upset. I've got a Ruger LC9S that I tend to use for this role when I travel for business by air. Now if you've got a line on a used 229 for a good price, then there is certainly nothing wrong with the weapon itself.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

I cringe each time some one mentions leaving a pistol in an unsecured passenger compartment of a vehicle on a long term basis.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P229 is simply a tough, wonderfully reliable and accurate weapon. I have 5 of them, in various caliber (.40,.357 sig) and grip (Crimson trace red/IR laser) configurations. For best results - especially if you're storing it in a vehicle safe regularly - every month, lubricate it in all the important places, and replace the recoil spring after 3000 rounds. With that said, I would not recommend keeping any handgun in the "glove box".
A sidearm belongs secured on your body, where it won't get stolen and misused by others.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

I cringe each time some one mentions leaving a pistol in an unsecured passenger compartment of a vehicle on a long term basis.

I hope people are just using it as a quick term for secured weapon in a safe in the vehicle.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post