SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to Sig, considering a p229, looking for other suggestions. Glove box pistol.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Sig, considering a p229, looking for other suggestions. Glove box pistol. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
By "glove box gun" do you mean a gun you routinely leave in the vehicle when it is unoccupied? If so, please don't do this. My department has taken over 1300 reports so far this year regarding weapons stolen from vehicles. It's a big problem and gives the left ammunition to paint gun owners as irresponsible.

If you have a need to routinely leave a weapon in a vehicle, please consider securing a small gun safe to the interior of the vehicle in a spot that is out of view.

Back on topic, the 229 is an excellent firearm. I own several. Solid, reliable, and accurate guns. They don't really fall into the category of what I would consider "travel" pistols. By that, I mean pistols that are inexpensive enough that should they be lost or stolen by an airline that I would not be overly upset. I've got a Ruger LC9S that I tend to use for this role when I travel for business by air. Now if you've got a line on a used 229 for a good price, then there is certainly nothing wrong with the weapon itself.

Basically yes, but parked in my garage overnight, so I'd feel no differently than it being in my nightstand when I was away. That said, I wouldn't want it kept there for any longer than the time it takes me to have dinner or do some shopping away from the car. In those situations it'd be brought along or left at home.

Speaking of the LC9, I gifted my dad one which he doesn't shoot but the range time we spent with it it was more accurate than I would have assumed.

I am looking at a lightly used 229 with a 22 conversation kit for what seems like a decent price, but I'm just confused by the lack of new 229's considering what Sig is saying on their 229 Q & A. Would really like a fresh one.

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apk_fl:
I am looking to upgrade my glove box pistol. Currently carrying a Makarov, and considering a p229.

If you are "currently carrying", take it w/ you. I'm tired of reading about stolen guns and people who purchase a cheaper gun for the sake of "it being stolen", they aren't at as much of a loss.
You buying a more expensive gun to fit this purpose makes no sense.
The safest place for your firearm is on you. Not in a vehicle. Not even at home while you are away, for many.

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd advise that you strongly consider putting a properly secured lockbox in your vehicle, regardless of what gun that gets left in there for any length of time. This past week alone I've had three customers come in looking for a new gun because some thieves broke into their respective vehicles, popped the gloveboxes/center consoles and made off with their less-than-legally-secured handguns. Around here that sort of misstep could easily be considered a felonious offense. While you may not have to deal with zealot prosecutions where you live, but given the times that we live in it would not surprise me if a future victim of your possible stolen gun decided to go after you with civil litigation for negligence if it ever got back to you. Nothing like having to pay a six-figure lawyer's bill just to clear one's name...assuming you actually win and don't get corralled by a bleeding heart jury/judge.

-MG

Posts: 2018 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone be concerned about having a lower priced gun for their car unless they know there is an increased chance of that gun being stolen?

Even if you're not concerned about the risk to other innocents, you could come out to some criminal fleeing from your vehicle with that gun and end up being shot by it yourself.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Why yes, the P229 is an excellent handgun to arm a meth head car thief with.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread's really taken a detour. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the market for 229's, or alternatives. Pros, cons and experiences with a 229 holstered in a center console for protection during commutes, long drives, etc.

Law enforcement in my area store either an AR or shotgun in their trunk and are frequently away from their squad cars. My approach would be the same, safety first. Overnight garage only, never long term. I have not found a comfortable way to conceal carry, so reasonable vehicle carry is the next best option.

What's ironic, while I've never had a vehicle break in, I have lost a gun to home burglary, a Mosin Nagant carbine I restored with my dad. That said I understand opinions on firearms safety are strong and wide ranging, and we can never be too cautious.

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the auction sites you might search for Sig "red box" pistols, law enforcement trade-ins that are run through the Sig shop and completely renovated (springs, worn parts, etc) to as-new condition. Packed in a red box with two mags, manual, and one-year Sig warranty.

I bought my P229 SA-DA-decocker on-line 3 years ago as a "red box" for $388 plus shipping to my FFL. MSRP for a new P229 at that time was $1087. You literally cannot tell by looking at mine that it is not a brand new pistol, and it functions perfectly.

Several other Sig models can be found as "red box" guns. Definitely a bargain. Mine is a .40S&W, but there are 9X19 and .357Sig coming through also.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Because of course, patrol vehicles are frequent targets for robbery. I got a friend who’s a local SWAT. He stores his rifle and handguns in his trunk… in a lockbox.

You’re better off in every way with the pistol holstered on you, rather than in a glovebox or a center console.

I can tell you plenty about carrying and driving while carrying a P229. What I can’t tell you about is keeping it holstered in a center console during commutes or long drives, because I never did it.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
WARNING! Internet lawyer advice... you and all in this discussion need to check their state's vehicle laws..... glove box gun/ some can and some can't.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I carried a 229 mainly in a Stealthgear AIWB holster.
Easy enough to put in my lunch box or whatever and put it on.

Locked or not I never leave a gun in the car for any length of time.
To easy to slip it on and go inside.

Getting a 365 made it even easier.

Posts: 1483 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
SigPro/SP2002 was my first thought based on the thread title.
Cheaper to acquire & don't think I've ever read a negative review on one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15394 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not found a comfortable way to conceal carry, so reasonable vehicle carry is the next best option.

Really, ZERO comfortable options? OWB, Shoulder Holster...Not comfortable? Subcompact pistol such as the P365? You could pocket carry a P365...

Me thinks you've not explored enough options....Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8962 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
To the OP, SIG is probably focusing on the p320 and p365 more the putting out volumes of plain Jane nitron p229s or even SIGPros. I haven't seen either used in a case, even in 40, in quite some time. I'd probably pick up a beater sp2022 before the p229. IWB is piece of cake. And of course, winter is coming. Who here doesn't have a pile of holsters. As they say. It's not supposed to be comfortable It's supposed to be comforting.

Posts: 3531 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not found a comfortable way to conceal carry, so reasonable vehicle carry is the next best option.

Have you explored all methods including pocket carry? An LCP in a pocket holster is a whole lot better than nothing at all(leaving it in the car).

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking to upgrade my glove box pistol. Currently carrying a Makarov, and considering a p229.

I prefer the alloy frame, DA/SA w/ decocker, and the reviews are very solid.

That said, I'm open to comparable Sig pistols, etc, for example a 2022. I am also looking at other makes such as CZ's alloy frame DA/SAs. FNX9, etc.

I'm also noticing there are not many 229's out there new. A few Legions. On the Sig Q&A they assure us that the pistol is still in production, but I haven't found a base model yet!

Thoughts on 229 vs the others for a vehicle carry pistol and 229 availability? Thanks!

I think I get where you are coming from. As much as we would all like to strong-side carry, outside-the-waist-ban 24/7, it just isn't an option for some us. Our lifestyle just isn't conducive to carrying in such a manner (or at all) and we just aren't in a position to change that.

I've seen some suggestions to shoulder carry, cross-draw carry, ankle carry and pocket carry. While all are options, you can find plenty of downsides to each one.

Sometimes we are placed in a position where we have to select the least bad option from a number of bad options. The most we can hope for is to identify as many risks in our daily life as possible and then make a choice which does the best at mitigating those risks.

You mention you like alloy framed pistols and while I certainly can appreciate that, I believe the market has spoken and right or wrong it is moving away from alloy framed DA/SA pistols and towards striker fired polymer framed pistols.

Sig, like all other handgun manufacturers has embraced this trend with it's 320 series and 365 series. It seems to me that the Classic P-series is moving into the realm of collectibles like the Walthers, H&K P7's and Browning High-powers. What I mean by this is that I don't think the current prices of Classic P-series pistols are a good value when it comes to handguns intended to be used for self-defense purposes.

I'd suggest looking at the Beretta 92 series. You might find a decent price on a Centurion or a Compact.

If you wish to stick with Sig then you can consider the 320 and the 365 series. But then you are venturing into the striker-fired polymer realm.

As you already mentioned the CZ alloy framed compact is an option and may be what gets you as closed to what you want at a decent price.

I believe both H&K and Walther have polymer framed DA/SA pistols. That might get you a little closer to what you are looking for.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider a CZ with a 14+ capacity. Select one of the size and capacity that best suits you. Less expensive than the 229.

Same with a S&W M&P if a striker fired pistol is acceptable. The compact model is a little shorter than a full size model and might better fit your glove box. It can use the 17 rd mag made for the full size model.

I have a slim leather briefcase that I use for carry when I’m not using a holster. When entering a gun prohibited area I can remove the handgun and store outta sight in the vehicle.

Sometimes I keep the CZ truck gun in the console while traveling while my carry gun (365) is in a holster. The leather case is always handy on the backseat floor outta sight.

Both handguns (CZ PCR and M&P) are reliable and have good ergonomics.

I never leave one in a vehicle overnight. Therefore the bag.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
CZ PCR and P-01. Both metal, alloy frame, DA/SA, with decoker like the P229 but at a better location, in my experience. The PCR if you want slim and no accessory rail. The P-01 if you intend to hang stuff on it.

+1 on what is said here

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what "glove box pistol" means...if you intend to store the gun there, overnight or when you frequently leave your vehicle I'd say forget the 'glove box, or ctr console, & get a stout steel dedicated lock box then bolt or weld it to the floor plate, then hope for the best. Our local LEO's report hundreds of break-ins looking for guns. A dash board glove box will delay them about 5 seconds. Bad plan in my estimation. YMMv, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 729 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post