SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Muzzle flip and the Sig 320 M 17
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle flip and the Sig 320 M 17 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
That's a bit odd. I noticed that the P320 - compact and full size - has a lot less muzzle flip than other guns I owned, such as the P228 or Walther PPQ. But I guess everyone sees it a little differently.

Reduced muzzle flip was one of the aspects of the P320 that made me like them so much, when I first got the two I own.

YMMV.

I have the PPQ and it is a very light pistol with a high bore axis and does give a lot of muzzle flip because of its design.
https://www.guntweaks.com/pist...s-low-bore-axis.html

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
Not to get off topic here, but I bought a Wilson grip module for my M17 and it took an “ok” pistol for me and turned it in an amazing pistol. It is a lot flatter shooting for me. I can only attribute it to the gun fitting my hand so much better. I’ve tried the Xgrip on my carry and the Wilson is a clear winner for me. Your mileage may vary as fortunately we are not all created equal. As a confirmed Glock shooter for 30 years I never cared much for the 320 until I got my first Wilson grip module. It really changed the whole dynamics of the 320 for me and made it much more enjoyable to shoot. I do think the M17 is a solid gun made better with my additions. It has hardly any muzzle rise for me with the new Wilson.

I ordered the Wilson grip module yesterday and appreciate the suggestion. As I said I shot the Carry version of the 320 yesterday and was hooked immediately and bought the M 17 yesterday also.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Just shot my M17 commercial yesterday. I’ll echo the others above in stating that it is a joy to shoot, being relatively soft and very accurate to boot. The grip is very good, though I do prefer the X grip as it is more uniform to me. The standard M17 (standard 320 grip) has more of a thumb rest/groove near the top of the grip, and as a result, it almost feels too thin sometimes, making me have to work harder to control it during rapid fire drills.

I wills second that is a dream to shoot.

posted Hide Post
I have had a P320C 9mm since 2015. To each his own, but I don't consider it a problem. However, here is a "solution" for you, but it only works for Full Size.

https://grayguns.com/product/c...ess-steel-guide-rod/

The G.R. uses a 1911 RS. You can use the recommended weight or get slightly lighter and heavier springs to suit your preference.

Bruce Gray and others consider the P320 FS 9mm to be "oversprung". There were a number of posts on this several years ago. It's not the rise, it's the dip after the slide comes forward into battery. This gives optimal springing and can be tailored to ammo requirements. It's oriented towards competition, I believe.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See now I’m confused.

You have a P320 Compact that you say is too flippy. Then you shoot the Carry and say it’s great. So you buy an M17. Is that correct?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
See now I’m confused.

You have a P320 Compact that you say is too flippy. Then you shoot the Carry and say it’s great. So you buy an M17. Is that correct?

And isn't the P320 Carry the same as the P320 Compact but with a different frame module that can be easily purchased to make the P320 Compact into the P320 Carry with the slightly longer grip to use 17 round magazine?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s why I’m confused. The difference between a Compact and a Carry is grip length. Which generally wouldn’t have any effect on muzzle flip. Now if you were talking a SC where your hand might not get a full grip, yeah I could see a difference. But Carry having better recoil characteristics than Compact doesn’t make sense. Full sized might, with extra weight from the longer slide.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ That may depend. For some of us, the difference between a 228/229 and a 226 actually seems to matter.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, that’s why I’m confused. The difference between a Compact and a Carry is grip length. Which generally wouldn’t have any effect on muzzle flip. Now if you were talking a SC where your hand might not get a full grip, yeah I could see a difference. But Carry having better recoil characteristics than Compact doesn’t make sense. Full sized might, with extra weight from the longer slide.

From my experience with the P320 Compact that I tried out at the range I agree, as I found it to be a pretty soft pleasant shooter as is.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a 9mm? What "flip?"

The x-grip module is a comfort-improvement for the P320, although it feels more blocky, thicker. The recent Wilson grip module is very comfortable, too.

quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
See now I’m confused.

And isn't the P320 Carry the same as the P320 Compact but with a different frame module that can be easily purchased to make the P320 Compact into the P320 Carry with the slightly longer grip to use 17 round magazine?

The Compact and Carry have the same size slide and barrel. The Carry is a 17 round magazine capacity, and the compact has a slightly shorter grip with a 15 round magazine.

The Carry has a more full grip, which may be easier for some to control.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^^ That may depend. For some of us, the difference between a 228/229 and a 226 actually seems to matter.

And that’s why the full sized would make sense; there’s extra weight on the slide. But P320 Compact and Carry are the exact same slide. What the OP is indicating is more like a P229 and a P229 with a P226 mag or +2 extension.

My whole point is, I question the original assertion that the Compact is flippy because he then says the Carry is better.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
My whole point is, I question the original assertion that the Compact is flippy because he then says the Carry is better

I imagine grip size has a lot to do with it. The Carry has a full size grip as opposed to the compact. I have both, and the Carry gives a more solid feel to your grip.

In reference to the Compact being flippy, I have yet to experience it, personally speaking. I shoot thumbs forward and it handles like a sewing machine for me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ That's more what I was thinking. To me, shorter slides cycle faster but have less sight radius and that's about it. Pistols with shorter slides may in fact jump around a hair more, but the difference I actually feel is down in the grip.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post