SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Muzzle flip and the Sig 320 M 17
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle flip and the Sig 320 M 17 Login/Join 
posted
I have a compact sig 320 and find the muzzle flip a tad more than I would like. I am lusting after a Sig 320 M 17 and wonder if that pistol would have less muzzle flip and how much ( if such a phenomenon can be adequately described)? So Sig 320 M 17 shooters tell me your experiences and how you like the Sig 320 M 17.

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the X grip? I would suggest that first if you can overcome your lust for the M17.

I've found the undercut beneath the trigger and the beaver tail from the X grips work for me to make the P320 more to my liking.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Viking:
I have a compact sig 320 and find the muzzle flip a tad more than I would like. I am lusting after a Sig 320 M 17 and wonder if that pistol would have less muzzle flip and how much ( if such a phenomenon can be adequately described)? So Sig 320 M 17 shooters tell me your experiences and how you like the Sig 320 M 17.

I would forget the M17 and move up to the Legion.
Tungsten infused frame (weighted frame), bull barrel, grip weight and magwell funnel.
Add to all that, it's already set up for 1911 Government recoil springs, so you can tune for reduced muzzle flip.
Do it.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has got to be because it's a compact. My fullsize has almost none.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
Have you tried the X grip? I would suggest that first if you can overcome your lust for the M17.

I've found the undercut beneath the trigger and the beaver tail from the X grips work for me to make the P320 more to my liking.

What is the X grip?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
It has got to be because it's a compact. My fullsize has almost none.

Many thanks I intend to rent a full size next time i am at the range and see how i do with it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

I would forget the M17 and move up to the Legion.
Tungsten infused frame (weighted frame), bull barrel, grip weight and magwell funnel.
Add to all that, it's already set up for 1911 Government recoil springs, so you can tune for reduced muzzle flip.
Do it.

I appreciate the suggestion but I think that one would be a little heavy for me. I want to use it as edc also.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Porting?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to be the guy who talks you out of a sweet new gun if you want a new gun, but....

Can I ask the elephant in the room? What's your grip like? Do you have a sloppy grip with lots of open space? Do you have some physical limitation that hinders your recoil management? A 320 compact doesn't exactly kick like a mule.

Before you buy anything for a "fix", is there anything with your grip you could fix that would improve your recoil management? How is your follow through? No new gun or part is a substitute for fundamentals like grip and stance.

All that said, swapping to an X-grip will allow you to get higher up on the gun than the stock grip, which will aid in recoil management (and I personally find the X-grip to be far superior to the round stock frame). It's also pretty inexpensive.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

What is the X grip?

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I'm not going to be the guy who talks you out of a sweet new gun if you want a new gun, but....

Can I ask the elephant in the room? What's your grip like? Do you have a sloppy grip with lots of open space? Do you have some physical limitation that hinders your recoil management? A 320 compact doesn't exactly kick like a mule.

Before you buy anything for a "fix", is there anything with your grip you could fix that would improve your recoil management? How is your follow through? No new gun or part is a substitute for fundamentals like grip and stance.

All that said, swapping to an X-grip will allow you to get higher up on the gun than the stock grip, which will aid in recoil management (and I personally find the X-grip to be far superior to the round stock frame). It's also pretty inexpensive.

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...iew=detail&FORM=VIRE
Appreciate the suggestion on the X grip.

posted Hide Post
Thats just how Sigs are. If you want a pistol with the least flip try a glock, M&P, or Steyr(if you can find one).

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
That's a bit odd. I noticed that the P320 - compact and full size - has a lot less muzzle flip than other guns I owned, such as the P228 or Walther PPQ. But I guess everyone sees it a little differently.

Reduced muzzle flip was one of the aspects of the P320 that made me like them so much, when I first got the two I own.

YMMV.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to get off topic here, but I bought a Wilson grip module for my M17 and it took an “ok” pistol for me and turned it in an amazing pistol. It is a lot flatter shooting for me. I can only attribute it to the gun fitting my hand so much better. I’ve tried the Xgrip on my carry and the Wilson is a clear winner for me. Your mileage may vary as fortunately we are not all created equal. As a confirmed Glock shooter for 30 years I never cared much for the 320 until I got my first Wilson grip module. It really changed the whole dynamics of the 320 for me and made it much more enjoyable to shoot. I do think the M17 is a solid gun made better with my additions. It has hardly any muzzle rise for me with the new Wilson.

Posts: 456 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I went and shot a carry ( rental) this morning at the local indoor range. It shot like a dream. Very little muzzle flip - in fact almost like my Sig 226 Legion sao. I fell in love with the pistol and went and bought an M 17 320 this afternoon.

and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of pistols (LOL), some full-size with the same make in compact size. I don't find any difference in "muzzle-flip" between the full-size and the compact. In fact, I really like the compacts better. That being said, I bought an M17 last year and simply LOVE the way this gun shoots. It is accurate and and fits my hand extremely well.

Please enjoy your new purchase and shoot the crap out of it! Hope you like it as well as I like mine. I haven't felt the need for an M18 yet!!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are complaining of muzzle flip with an M17, you might ought to consider getting a .380 ACP pistol.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Just shot my M17 commercial yesterday. I’ll echo the others above in stating that it is a joy to shoot, being relatively soft and very accurate to boot. The grip is very good, though I do prefer the X grip as it is more uniform to me. The standard M17 (standard 320 grip) has more of a thumb rest/groove near the top of the grip, and as a result, it almost feels too thin sometimes, making me have to work harder to control it during rapid fire drills.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also agree with the others; my P320 Compact is quite easy to handle and shoot with recoil quite easy and controllable, less than a PPQ 9mm and even my wundergun VP9. However I don't much care for the pudgy rounded grip of the standard grip module so I've since swapped that out for a slab sided compact 'X' module that conforms far better to my previously Glock-embossed hands.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
If you are complaining of muzzle flip with an M17, you might ought to consider getting a .380 ACP pistol.

Apparently your reading comprehension is not very good. Start again at the top and read my posts.