SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hiking -- Big Bore Or 357 Small Frame?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking -- Big Bore Or 357 Small Frame? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I love my Hill People chest rig so much I bought the smaller runners version. Just wore it yesterday. I finally learned how to service the hydraulic brakes on my bikes so I took it for a ride to make sure it wouldn’t crap out on me on a trail. Put in Hill People rig and out the garage. Great setup. Everything’s a compromise but this is a good compromise. It’s ideal for biking in my opinion, hiking as well.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would fault no one for deciding on a smaller lighter carry rig combo... but for me I'll take a full sized gun in a caliber that is likely to have enough power to stop an attack in a platform that gives me enough stability and sight radius/ accuracy to place the one or two rounds that will likely make a difference in the outcome.
Great advice, especially the part about only getting off one or two shots.

I'd add that you'll need a rig that allows you to draw as fast as possible, yet stays out of the way as you hike with the usual amount of gear. To me that means a suitable revolver carried in a chest rig outside of your pack straps.

A tanker style holster has worked for me in the past, tho there are more modern designed types made of kydex that may save you some weight. With this in mind, I'd carry (and have in the recent past) a S&W Model 69 .44 magnum. It's a 38 oz unloaded revolver, with a capacity of 5 rounds.

As to the diminished capacity, I'd be surprised if I was able to get off more than one or two good shots in an emergency. East or west, black bear attacks are more frequent than grizzly by far, and every bit as dangerous.

A big gun to supplement BEAR SPRAY in the event that the 'squirt' doesn't work is a better plan than one to the exclusion of the other. YMMv, but carry enough gun. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post