SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What can I build with sig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I build with sig Login/Join 
posted
So I was at a gun shop a few days ago and found a sig p365 gutted lower and I bought it. So I was wondering what can I build with it
I know its a 9mm but can a build a 380 or 22 out of it?

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You can build the .380 from it but not the .22.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
First, you need the FCU (Fire Control Unit)...Without it, you can't build anything!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you bought just the hand grip module and no Fire Control Unit?

Ed

Hurst Engines Jeffersonville, Indiana
1929 Buick
1957 Chevrolet
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom
MSF RiderCoach
Aircraft Machinist USAF (Ret)
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
Disabled Veteran
Streetrod Builder/enthusiest
Mortec.com Moderator

Posts: 9 | Registered: April 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Hurst is being nice.

The lower grip unit is a plastic casting. A completed 365 requires a completed FCU with trigger sear, etc, and a complete slide with striker, barrel and recoil spring assembly. If it's a lower grip, is the mag catch in it?

A blank grip no catch should be less than $50. Another $450 in parts is needed - and buying the parts vs a complete firearm will likely involve retail pricing for assemblies. One recent post online an owner was showing his finished custom gun which ran $1,100. I've spent as much for an AR in 6.8 ten years ago.

An owner can assemble whatever they like, it goes to the purpose: What range, what target? Is it an exhibition gun, a shooting gun? A paper target gun, a self defense gun? Even for posting pics on the internet, an exhibition gun should have a purpose and we are right back to what range, what target to sort out a credible basis for the choices of grip size and color, mag capacity, barrel length, cartridge choice, slide type, sights, and trigger. In that order.

A firearm is a tool, and the tool's purpose sorts out the parts.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A guy has to start somewhere.

I too have bought some loose parts and began thinking 'What if...'

Let us know what you have when your project is complete.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
First...Welcome to SIGforum! Cool

In regards to my previous post, I should have added the wink/sarcasm/wise ass emoticon, but regardless you will need an FCU (the serialized part) in order to 'build' a complete firearm.

As to what you can build, there are multiple options, but basically ANY Upper Assembly can be paired with ANY Grip Module currently available. Once you have an FCU you can assemble the P365 with ANY of the following options:

• P365 Upper - 3.1" BBL (dovetail sights)
  • P365X Upper - 3.1" BBL (removable sight plate, RDS Optic ready)
  • P365 XL Upper -3.7" BBL (removable sight plate, RDS Optic ready)
  • P365 SAS Upper - 3.1" BBL (w/ specific SAS sights)
  • P365 380 Upper - 3.1" BBL (dovetail sights AND RDS Optic ready) *Mags are specific to this caliber

I recommend, and MUCH prefer the P365XL Grip Module as I want my pinky on the grip for proper purchase of the Pistol. Thus far, my preferred Upper Ass'y is the std. 9mm P365 (or P365X) variant, and I don't expect that to change based on my intended use of the P365. I'm neither a fan, nor do I need/want a Manual Safety on my P365's, though SIG's implementation on the P365 is excellent IMO. Also, as far as I'm concerned, an RDS on the P365 utterly out of place and I would NEVER consider it based on the role of this, or any 'Micro-Compact' Pistol. YMMV Wink

Regarding the FCU, it's available with or without a Manual Safety, and the Manual Safety can be added if yours doesn't have the feature and you choose to do so. Adding the Manual Safety will require modification to a Grip Module that's a not already set up for it.

Here's a link to a thread/discussion re: some changes to the FCU and the Manual Safety functionality have been introduced by SIG since the release of P365 in .380 (a.k.a. 9mm Kurz):

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/3150028094

As far as obtaining the components you need, be patient, and you don't necessarily need to pay 'retail' for anything. Used and/or parts at reduced prices show up all the time in the SIGforum Classifieds and elsewhere. Osage County Guns seems to have very good prices for Magazines and blow out prices on Upper Assemblies occasionally, so just keep looking and eventually you find what you want/need.

Have fun building your 'Go-Go-Gadget' Pistol... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
A guy has to start somewhere.

I too have bought some loose parts and began thinking 'What if...'

Let us know what you have when your project is complete.

Exactly! I don't know what the hell the posts above yours (except mine, of course Big Grin ) are about, especially the long rambling one.

Guy asked a simple question. He bought what sounds like a P365 grip module and asked if he "can a build a 380 or 22 out of it". Answer is yes, he can build a .380 out of it, but not the .22. The new SIG .22 (P322) is a completely different animal. It's not even modular.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong - The FCU is the registered component of the P320 and must transfer through an FFL (unless private in-state sale or illegal means).

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, the FCU is the "firearm" for ATF purpose. Everything else is not.

Q

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

As far as obtaining the components you need, be patient, and you don't necessarily need to pay 'retail' for anything. Used and/or parts at reduced prices show up all the time in the SIGforum Classifieds and elsewhere. Osage County Guns seems to have very good prices for Magazines and blow out prices on Upper Assemblies occasionally, so just keep looking and eventually you find what you want/need.

Have fun building your 'Go-Go-Gadget' Pistol... Cool

This! I just finished up doing a 320 and will likely end up doing the same with a 365.
I was pretty excited years ago when they announced the FCU for the 320 then the 365 but the retail cost of a FCU was a disappointment.

But the modularity is nice if you are patient.

I stumbled into an unfired 320 compact for $250, found a Wilson Combat Carry module for $55, flat trigger from an X5 for $40, sold my barrel and bought a factory threaded barrel so I have $68 in that, and bought Rainier Arms Suppressor sights for $50. So a total of $463 when a FCU alone is $350.
My gun had night sights I may try to sell those for a few bucks and will have less than $450 in a pretty solid setup.
May still add the WC extended slide release and tungsten grip weights not sure if I need those or not at this point.

So now my hope is to do the same thing in a 365 of some sort. I like the Armory Craft grip modules.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you I'll keep that in mind. I'm also going a glock 43 80% there just something to do on a rainy day. But when both are done they will be used for training, and everyday carry. I'm not crazy about glock but I'll try it. I wanted a full frame and may order 1 tomorrow before sleepy Joe's ruling on 80% lowers tomorrow. Note I did find a conversion kit online for both the glock 43 and sig p365 for about 300 each.

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I missed the 80% bus after it left the station.

How is your 43 coming along?

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post