SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Really??? You can change the caliber of a Beretta Cheetah by just swapping barrels and magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really??? You can change the caliber of a Beretta Cheetah by just swapping barrels and magazines? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.luckygunner.com/lo...n-size-duty-pistols/

It doesn't look like any double stack Cheetahs are going to show up in the USA, new or police trade ins.

"If you’re really torn on which caliber to get, the good news is that you can convert the caliber of the .380 and .32 models simply by swapping the barrels. And if it’s a double stack model, you’ll need to swap magazines as well."

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only Cheetah I have left is the single stack 85. I can confirm if you buy a .32 barrel you end up with a very light recoiling and easy to shoot Beretta. Same mags.

It used to be very cheap to buy a 32 barrel.

It is a very common and popular event on the “other” forum.

If you reload it turns the Cheetahs into a very fun and mild platform.

I bought my barrel years ago. Still haven’t shot it. In either caliber. Test fitted it and that was it.

As an aside I never liked my double stacked 84. Very girthy for not much capacity. 13 if I recall. The 85 is much more elegant and the 86 is nearly perfection (but you can’t swap barrels in those).

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done this. Keep looking, though, I was recently able to get a Model 81 police surplus (Italian) from Guns.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have an 87, which is a blast to shoot, and a beautifully made gun. But not convertible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooohhhh, the 87 is the best Cheetah.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ooooohhhh, the 87 is the best Cheetah.

I can't argue. Shoot it all day for just a few bucks, even with .22 ammo the way it costs now. And a really good shooter.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I really wish they'd make the 87 again, and that it was sort of affordable. I like my 81, but hate chasing the brass. Shooting rimfire, that's not a concern.

Posts: 8666 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The conversion to .32 caliber is an interesting idea. I may do that conversion to make a diminished recoiling pistol for my wife. She is rather petite and recoil sensitive. Before reading the article I thought that the conversion sould be to 9x18 Makorov. Are there 9×18 barrels for Berettas? Are the .32 barrels available?

Years ago a DA was shot and killed in one of the PNW states. The BATF was investigating the possibility that a conversion barrel was used in a Walther style pistol. I don't know if that case was ever solved.

I have an 89 Gold Standard. Its nice but either me or the gun is not as accurate as expected.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I got my dad a Cheetah 87 years ago. It kept breaking firing pins.

He got rid of it. I get a pant of regret on that once in a while that he should have kept it.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Cheetah 87’s. One is unfired the other has cases and cases and cases through it. I can’t say in the probably 15-20k rounds through it that there haven’t been malfunctions. There have. Not a lot though. It’s as reliable a 22 as I’ve ever owned. I thought I broke an extractor once. Even bought a new one to replace it. Then I cleaned it really well and inspected it. It does look like a corner is chipped off. Maybe. Everything on this gun is small so even with a brand new one to check against it’s a solid “maybe”.

Point is, your dad should have sent it back to Beretta. If it “kept breaking firing pins” it needed warranty work. These things aren’t known for breaking anything. I wonder if homebrew gunsmithing was involved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The Cheetah is a pretty cool gun. I've had two and only sold the last one due to health issues. Nothing to do with OP's post about the interchangeability of calibers on some models. Just chiming in on the cool factor.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post