SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magazine cleaning how often?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine cleaning how often? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A defensive use gun? I clean AND inspect the magazine, especially the spring, after every firing. And probably at least once a year if the gun has just been in a night stand or something.

A plinker, range run, that will never be used for self defense, who cares. Clean it next decade. Maybe.

I spray the insides out with Remoil aerosol gun spray. I then wipe it completely dry with a dry rag. This leaves a lubricated surface and increases reliability in my experience. Especially with parkerized mags, large bullet mags (like 20-25 rounds of.308), and steel case ammo in polymer mags. Steel case and polymer have a weird friction coefficient and I find that in some cases, these mags prefer the gun oil spray and then wipe down.

I also inspect the spring, and compare it to a new one. If its lost a lot of length due to spring set/use, I go ahead and replace the spring with a new spring. I'll keep the old mag springs for end of times, I don't throw them away. I might use them in training mags, but my front line defensive mags WILL be clean and have new or like new springs in them.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys are seriously, clinically OCD. I hope some of these posts are just yanking our collective chains. If not, holy fuck.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
When visibly dirty (covered in dust from being dropped on the ground in the desert) I wipe it off on my pants leg. If extremely dirty, I may blow on the open end and tap it on my leg.
I don't disassemble a magazine unless it's getting new parts.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I would presume if you are doing a lot of competitive shooting where you are doing fast reloads and dropping mags on the ground then they would need to be cleaned often...

I feel like I've shot a lot in the last 15 -20 years with various semi-autos and I can't for the life of me ever remember cleaning a magazine... or replacing a spring or follower or such....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Some of you guys are seriously, clinically OCD. I hope some of these posts are just yanking our collective chains. If not, holy fuck.

Some of us carry guns full time for a living and depend on them to be 100% operational. I clean / lube my mags about once a year and re-spring them every other year. It's cheap insurance. Some of use put LOTS of rounds through our duty weapons and mags can diminish over time. Constantly spring compression and alleviation along with mud, water, blood, gravel et can cause issues.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I tear down every mag when i get them. I clean and degrease everything then spray all parts inside and out with Mag-Slick (purchased from Brownels)which leaves a dry film lube and doesn't leave an oily residue which i believe will attract dirt and Debre.

I have found both metal shavings and plastic shavings in brand new factory mags. Also check followers for function on both new and used mags. All used mag springs get replaced if genuine factory springs are available and followers if any signs of wear are shown. I try to buy new mags but on occasion have bought gently used. Mags with any kind of internal rust get passed on or discarded.

I am pretty easy on mags so the environment they are kept in is clean and dry so after the initial cleaning they then would be cleaned on an as needed basis.

Posts: 18045 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of us carry guns full time for a living and depend on them to be 100% operational. I clean / lube my mags about once a year and re-spring them every other year. It's cheap insurance. Some of use put LOTS of rounds through our duty weapons and mags can diminish over time. Constantly spring compression and alleviation along with mud, water, blood, gravel et can cause issues.

Yea you must be quite the guy. Nobody else on this forum carries or runs high volume through their guns. Get over yourself. Did you actually read the posts or my posts before blathering? Guys are reporting they break down their mags and clean the tube and springs including lube and wipe down after EVERY SINGLE RANGE TRIP.

For fucks sake, at least read the entire thread before cherry picking your comments. Such posturing.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post