SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230 Replacement Sight Installed. Thanks Chris Orndorff!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230 Replacement Sight Installed. Thanks Chris Orndorff! Login/Join 
posted
Hello fellow Sig-fans,

I was finally able to get the replacement sight installed on my P230. Special thanks to Chris Orndorff for being so kind to send me a replacement sight!

Thank you, Chris!

As you can see, the sight that was on this surplus pistol, the lovely little thing that it is, looked like it had been folded spindled and mutilated. It became obvious that whoever put this particular sight on the gun was a buffoon as it appeared to have been put on with a crowbar. This, to say nothing of the condition of the sight. The rest of the gun is far from pristine, but a solid good, certainly no slouch and solid mechanically.

The sight that was on the gun when it came to me:

Here are some of the old sight after removal. I used a 5 pound hammer, just kidding.

And here is the gun with the replacement sight. It’s amazing how the macro shows every piece of lint and dust; it makes the gun look worse than it is. There appeared to be a bit of brass on the right side of the replacement sight. I have found that some cold blue will get up underneath it, or Hoppes if necessary. The replacement sight is better by a longshot!

I am excited to get my renewed P230 out to the range ASAP, and of course, I will correct the windage if needed. Perhaps a range report will be in order?

Thanks again Chris! This is a great forum. I hope that I can pay it forward down the road sometime.

All the best!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks 10 times better. And yes, this is not just a great forum but the bestest! Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Looks like the old one was installed by the same people who handle packages for UPS.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
night and day in comparison.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You're a better man than me. Even with a five pound hammer, I could never move a SIG sight.

Okay, I never tried a hammer, but no sight pusher I ever had would move one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Looks 10 times better. And yes, this is not just a great forum but the bestest! Big Grin

Agreed with both assessments.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
You're a better man than me. Even with a five pound hammer, I could never move a SIG sight.

Our own iron chef loaned me his to do my P320, awkward & took some effort to break loose, but got it done with his sight tool.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Well, thanks dude! I don't know if I am a better man, but I remain a work in progress.

As for the sight, I used one of the Brownells gunsmith hammers, the one with the brass head on one side and the white polymer on the other, and an a brass punch. I taped up the slide with masking tape, put it in a soft-jawed vice and tapped the old battered one out. After a good cleaning to get the gak out of the dovetail, I test fit the sight with some light taps with the same hammer, polymer side, and the replacement sight went in about 25-30% -ish. I do have two triangular files that are blind on two sides, one slightly coarse, the other a bit shy of fine, and I put the sight in the vice and it was three, maybe four light strokes -one direction, of course, and the sight then tapped in to place nicely with a punch, just eyeballed for the center. I'm so retentive, that I cold-blued the sight where I filed it.

Doing work like that helps keep me sane, life is so damn stressful sometimes. If I can drift out an old sight and drift in a new sight, you can too. Though if yours would not move with a sight pusher, either you were trying to move it the wrong direction or you may need to heat that thing with the orange wrench a bit.

That sight went on, it'll come off.

Take care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post