SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legion Finish Question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legion Finish Question? Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Let’s say I wanted to buy a legion because I like the set of features it comes with but could generally care less about this finish other than best available.

Grey PVD (older)?
Grey Cerakote (newer)?
Or black (hard to find but I’m patient)?

I wish so bad they made an all stainless legion.

I have also considered at SSE (but like the legion features slightly better as far as sights and trigger) or a Wilson combat/LTT beretta

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

Thanks al always SF,
Amurr

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
They do make an all stainless Legion.
Two of them.
Both in 10mm.
SAO and DA/SA.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p220-legion.html

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
They do make an all stainless Legion.
Two of them.
Both in 10mm.
SAO and DA/SA.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p220-legion.html

Not sure, but I read him as seeking a bare stainless finish. Not a gray finish on the 10mm’s stainless frame (and slide)?

OP, you’re not alone in wishing for non-gray legions. I have noticed 1-2 retailers that list a black legion that is not limited to first responders / LEO’s but such are sparse and I’m not sure how that batch of inventory was sourced.

I’d cough up full MSRP for a black Nitron P226 Legion SAO. I’m not sure why Sig hasn’t retreated from the gray and widely distributed a black Nitron version.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The 10mm Legion pistols (stainless frame) can be easily bead blasted to a natural stainless finish.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Black legions are not Nitron but PVD Black.
Would look better but still PVD.

There's always CCR when the PVD starts to look bad.
Nicote and CPII would look pretty slick.
Dusk and black frame would look nice too.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that Nitron is a PVD finish.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
My understanding was that Nitron is a PVD finish.

I had that wrong in the way I understood it.
Nitron which produces a DLC finish is applied by PVD and not a bath as I had assumed.

PVD is the application and Nitron is the finish.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gray finish on my Legions hasn't proven very durable.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. We are all in agreement that the black legions are still PVD so are no better from a durability standpoint right?

I’m really about to pull the trigger on a P226 as my bedside gun. I have been carrying my P225A1 and want a matching sig for bedside.

How much better is the legion trigger than the standard SRT?

What’s your favorite model 226? (Talking modern, not West German)

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I carry a 225-A1 as well well, hard to quantify. I think the 225-A1 has a slightly better trigger than plain Jane 226, and legions have a slightly better trigger than the 225-A1.

I bought my legion the month they came out and I have zero regrets about the purchase. Great gun, and unlike many zero issues with the finish. I've only carried a couple times while hiking, but it has been shot at ~ 30 matches and over 5,000 rounds with zero hiccups. Given the abuse it's had, I am surprised there is no wear on it.

The only visible wear on it is in first pic, other than that the magwell from shooting it at matches and doing speed reloads.

Born on September 28, 2015, received mid October, abused for 4.5 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback and well done sir!

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I carry a 225-A1 as well well, hard to quantify. I think the 225-A1 has a slightly better trigger than plain Jane 226, and legions have a slightly better trigger than the 225-A1.

I bought my legion the month they came out and I have zero regrets about the purchase. Great gun, and unlike many zero issues with the finish. I've only carried a couple times while hiking, but it has been shot at ~ 30 matches and over 5,000 rounds with zero hiccups. Given the abuse it's had, I am surprised there is no wear on it.

The only visible wear on it is in first pic, other than that the magwell from shooting it at matches and doing speed reloads.

Born on September 28, 2015, received mid October, abused for 4.5 years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The gray finish on my Legions hasn't proven very durable.

slide, frame or both?

Like Amurr, I like the set of features on the Legion. But I would be concerned about how the finish holds up as compared to Sig's typical black finish.

Posts: 6626 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post