SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New FN Optics Ready .22: the FN 502 Tactical
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New FN Optics Ready .22: the FN 502 Tactical Login/Join 
posted
Seen on FN’s Instagram and the Firearm Blog. An optics ready .22 that mimics their full size 509 Tactical model. I’m interested, especially if FN will migrate the concept to the smaller mid size and compact frame variants of the 509.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...ics-ready-22-pistol/

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Looks promising though made by Umarex but I will keep an open mind about that and see what actual owners have to say about performance and reliability especially with higher round counts.

I wish it was DA/SA rather than SA only though.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm not really an FN fan, but enough of this Umarex crap. I can live with the 'conversion' approach that CZ and SIG have taken, but make the damned things in house and take responsibility for how well (or poorly) made they are!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
...made by Umarex...
ick

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably still better than the SiG Mosquito.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm not really an FN fan, but enough of this Umarex crap. I can live with the 'conversion' approach that CZ and SIG have taken, but make the damned things in house and take responsibility for how well (or poorly) made they are!

WOW! I can appreciate the feelings towards some companies and their lack of quality product. I've always felt that Rossi made a lower tier rifle and for that reason, I've made Marlin my lever gun of choice.
But, I have to say that I have purchased one of the Beretta FS92-22 pistols, made by UMAREX, I believe. It is a great shooting, quality looking piece that has yet to jam, fail or otherwise disappoint me. My guess is that if Umarex is being trusted to manufacture for a company like Beretta or FN, both of these companies have a great hand on the QC of the firearms that are being shipped bearing their name.
That said, I could be wrong and Umarex has no idea how to make a quality weapon. Let's hope not.
I am going to give this new FN the benefit of the doubt and kudos to FN for adding a .22LR handgun to their line up that guys can shoot without changing the way they handle their handgun. That is one of the largest benefits I have found with the 92-22. I can fire 5-6 different Berettas at the range and each of them function the same. Safeties, slide release, magazine release, etc.
If this one is not for you, we have to appreciate the freedom of choice in all things that we have, here in America.
Have a great day,
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MannKrafted:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

WOW! I can appreciate the feelings towards some companies and their lack of quality product. I've always felt that Rossi made a lower tier rifle and for that reason, I've made Marlin my lever gun of choice.
But, I have to say that I have purchased one of the Beretta FS92-22 pistols, made by UMAREX, I believe. It is a great shooting, quality looking piece that has yet to jam, fail or otherwise disappoint me. My guess is that if Umarex is being trusted to manufacture for a company like Beretta or FN, both of these companies have a great hand on the QC of the firearms that are being shipped bearing their name.
That said, I could be wrong and Umarex has no idea how to make a quality weapon. Let's hope not.
I am going to give this new FN the benefit of the doubt and kudos to FN for adding a .22LR handgun to their line up that guys can shoot without changing the way they handle their handgun. That is one of the largest benefits I have found with the 92-22. I can fire 5-6 different Berettas at the range and each of them function the same. Safeties, slide release, magazine release, etc.
If this one is not for you, we have to appreciate the freedom of choice in all things that we have, here in America.
Have a great day,
LaMont in AZ

And HK. Hk is bringing out new MP5 variants made by Umarex.

I shrug at all this. People hated on the mosquito. Mine went 12,000 rounds before a squib 22 load bulged the barrel. Sig replaced it, I was 6000 more rounds into it when I sold it.

I have owned sig conversions, Most of the Marvel conversions. The sig conversions for 1911's and they all work.

Right now I have a dedicated sig conversion 226, a colt woodsman, 3 smith victories, a sig trailside, an xesee, smith 41, and multiple revolvers. I have had a doze Ruger MK series, and several volquarsen mk series guns.

none of them have been terrible. they shoot. Find the ammo they like and use it. Good on FN for bringing a product like this to the market. It is one more gun on the market. There is nothing ever wrong about that.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I keep looking to get Beretta 92 .22lr gun to compliment my 92s. I think my old Walther P22 was made by Umarex. It didn't hold up too well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ And that's the point I'm trying to make. Does it work well sometimes? Great. But Umarex has put out one hell of a lot of disappointing failures as well and the "branding" companies usually don't do a thing to make Umarex get it right.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well, I do have a Sparrow in purgatory at the moment.
I don’t have a threaded barrel .22 pistol currently.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got a Beretta 87 and a CZ-75 Kadet, neither of which are flimsy toys. If Umarex went tits up tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Well, I do have a Sparrow in purgatory at the moment.
I don’t have a threaded barrel .22 pistol currently.

With a rimfire can inbound soon you need to rectify that. As you probably already know, suppressed rimfire shooting is about as good as it gets when using a can.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta .22 upper (Umarex) that I use with a 92FS frame. No issues here, it's worked great.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Strange, no real shooting video reviews yet. Just a few ultra short over view videos.

This online review says the trigger sucks pretty bad.

https://www.recoilweb.com/revi...-sleeper-170392.html

"TRIGGER WOES

There’s a long-running joke that the folks from FN are incapable of color matching or coordination, given the hodgepodge of hues whenever they produce an item in FDE. And indeed, the slides of the 502 and 509 don’t match, and we didn’t expect them to. The FN 502 Tactical does share another common aspect with several FN guns; namely, a trigger that leaves much to be desired.
8/12

The weight of the trigger isn’t the issue in this case: Our gauges clock the FN 502 Tactical as having a mere 2.5-pound pull. The break of the trigger is plastic-spongy with a ton of flex, and there’s a heap of overtravel and a long reset. If FN or Umarex doesn’t address the travel issue on the production models, we hope someone in the aftermarket does (looking at you, Apex Tactical)."

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Reading through the recoil review but seems awful silly to put a $550+ optic on this gun.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Guess what I got?
Pistol feels great, I wish the grip was a little ticker but I have bigger hands.
Hope to get my stamp back soon for my Sparrow.
Hope weather warms up on a day I have off work soon.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Down the rabbit hole we go.
Ordered an Apex SS guide rod.
Supposedly the Sig 220 .22LR recoil spring is supposed to be a touch more stout than FNs spring and gives the action a little better feel.

Guess I need to figure out which Red Dot to mount on it.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So I got mine out to the range today.
Only thing I did to it was add the Apex SS Guide Rod and I oiled it and the spring as the suggested it. I used the factory lubrication and did not add any of my own.

I used CCI Mini Mags and Federal Target HV Match loads.

So the gun has quite the good trigger for a cheap 22. It fired every round without issue. The only issue I had and it may just be a spring break in period or I need more lube.
But if the slide was locked back and I insert a magazine and drop the slide using the slide release the slide does not move forward hard enough to chamber a round. Watching, it almost looks like it is in slow motion. If I pull the slide back and let it go it chambers just fine and the gun will fire the entire magazine without a hitch.

I did not have a ton of time but at the end I got a couple to chamber by just dropping the slide but it barely did it.

So I brought it home and lubed it up pretty much soaked it so hopefully that will help.
I think I may try to find the P220 .22 recoil spring as some folks say it is a little more stout and that will give it what it needs to have enough force going forward just by dropping the slide release.

————————————————