SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Carry Load for the .38 Super + ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Carry Load for the .38 Super + ? Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

I have a Colt Government Model Stainless .38 Super that I am carrying. My current load is Winchester Silvertip 125 gr. ammo @ 1,250 FPS...

I'm looking for something a bit warmer in the .357 Sig range that can perform like a real .38 Super should. Say about 1.350 FPS tp 1.450 FPS with a JHP that performs well and will hold together. It needs to be a factory load.

You responses are solicited.

Semper Fi,

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've used custom loads by Doubletap for several years now (mostly for hunting), and I've found them to be of extremely high quality. They make several nice offerings in .38 Super +P you might want to consider.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/i...ategory&path=303_339

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pulicords,

Many thanks, I'll check them out. There's no reason the .38 Super can't be loaded on par with the .357 Sig, IMHO.

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwood 124 Gr +P Bonded HP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Cor-bon & Buffalo Bore offer a great defensive load that will give the performance your after. I roll my own using a Speer 124g Gold Dot at 1350 fps.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just don't compare the ballistics of Underwood's 38 Super and 357 SIG offerings, or you'll get 357 envy Smile

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanks for the information on the manufacturers that may be able to help. Right now Double Tap is in the lead.

Chuck Perry,

Thanks, I already have two .357 Sigs(Sig P226 and Sig P229 Elite). So I don't need to suffer "Sig Envy".

What I love is the 1911 platform and the .38 Super. Hence, the original question.

Semper Fi,

Wes

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Underwoods.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As a newer fan of the .38 Super, I will be watching this thread.

Thanks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
For years I carried Georgia Arms 38 Super (their new stuff). It was a 124gr Gold Dot at 1350 fps. Looks like they don't list it anymore. A little snappy but accurate and reliable in my Colt LW Commander.

When I find some on the shelf I am going to try some of the Sig ammo. 125gr V Crown at 1230 fps. Looks pretty good.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.co...ain-v-crown-jhp.html

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is some good stuff.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post