SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A question I never thought I'd be asking...tell me about your experience with the Taurus TH45/TH40/TH9
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question I never thought I'd be asking...tell me about your experience with the Taurus TH45/TH40/TH9 Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
So I've been toying with the idea of a 10mm for some time now, and keep disqualifying different options for various reasons. Recently, it was brought to my attention that Taurus is about to release a polymer-framed, DA/SA handgun in 10mm...the TH10. So far as I can tell they don't actually exist on shelves yet, but the 9mm/40/45 variants have been out for a while.

I'm a self-admitted Taurus hater, having been sodomized by that company more than once in the past with revolvers, and swore I'd never do it again. But this gun checks a lot of my boxes, at least on paper, and the series gets some decent online reviews. I also keep hearing that Taurus as a company has been getting their act together. I feel like I need to at least give it due diligence ...what can Sigforum tell me about the Taurus TH-series?

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the TH series, but I am familiar with Taurus firearms and have owned a number of them, and still own a few. It took several generations of pistols to get the Millennium series right, and a recall, and Taurus replaced all the non-9mm pistols with 9mms. Given that and Taurus history with the other pistol, I'd wait a couple of years to see how it works out. I strongly recommend the Glock 10mm pistols, though. Not a big Glock guy, but they certainly got than one right.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local Dunhams has the Springfield XDM 10mm for $629. If it goes on sale, I might be tempted to buy it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The recently announced Gen5 G20 and 29 have my interest. So does the 320 X-Ten. I can't do the XD series. For whatever reason, I just can't shoot them well. I could probably fix that if I put the time in, but there's nothing I like about them enough to compel me to do that.

The interesting thing about the Taurus is that's it's DA/SA. I like that in a carry gun, especially one that's going to get carried around in the woods. So far as I can tell, there aren't many other DA/SA options out there in this caliber. EAA makes both a metal and polymer variant of the witness, but the polymer ones are obscure and the metal one I handled was incredibly heavy.

I guess there aren't many Taurus owners here, and I can't blame anybody for that as I've had my own issues with the brand. Just trying to do my research and examine all the options.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The only Taurus I have ever had is a 99AFS from 1997. It's still kicking.
But that was made on old Beretta machinery so not sure how it compares to current day production.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8031 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a model 605 and a model 44. Both were turds. Their customer service sucked, too. I spent a lot of money and effort to ship that 605 back just for it to come back with the same issue. That was back before I knew anything about the internal workings of revolvers.

It's been years since I owned a Taurus, and since then I've picked up quite a few Rugers and Smiths and have learned my way around the internal bits. Just a couple of weeks ago I was eyeing a Taurus 450 Titanium on gunbroker. I've had this desire for a lightweight .45 Colt snubby for a long time, and this gun is one of very few options in that category. I came close to placing a bid but started doing my research and discovered that despite the external similarities there are some internal design differences between a Taurus and Smith revolver, particularly with the rebound assembly, that are less than ideal. That made me second-guess myself, and the bidding ultimately went higher than I was willing to go.

I know they've had some designs (the Beretta clones being one) that tend to get pretty good reviews, and others that were complete flops. I'm trying to figure out if the TH series specifically has any glaring red flags or design issues, or if it's one of their better designs and maybe worth at least giving it a look.

Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I handled a TH series pistol at Shot show and was I very unimpressed. The trigger pulls were heavy and spongy in both DA and SA. It felt like something was flexing inside the gun as I pulled the trigger. Ick. The gun just felt plasticky. The G3 series felt much more solid and put together than the TH. It seemed like it was an odd duck compared to the other pistols they make.

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info... disappointing, but that's the sort of info I was looking for. I wonder why Taurus opted to expand that particular line into the 10mm rather than a variant of the G3...it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular as the G3, especially around here.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I had a Taurus 669VR 6" about 30 years ago, wish I still had it, it was a nice good shooting gun. Also had one of their .380's for about a month, it was fine and shot ok for what it was, got it in a trade and sold it. I picked up a Taurus 327 because I could not find a Ruger revolver in that caliber. It was used and had a binding issue when pulling the trigger, I called Taurus they said send it in, about 3 weeks later I got it back. Took it to the range, fantastic, great caliber and shooter and then I looked at it closer, they had sent me back a brand new gun and kept the other one. Hard to beat the warranty they have.

Just went on line and noticed they have changed the warranty conditions on newer models. Still lifetime but only on original purchaser.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Thanks for that info... disappointing, but that's the sort of info I was looking for. I wonder why Taurus opted to expand that particular line into the 10mm rather than a variant of the G3...it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular as the G3, especially around here.

I’ll be at Shot show this year and I’ll see if they have the 10mm version to examine. I’ll let you know.

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'd appreciate that!

Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Thanks, I'd appreciate that!

I handled the TH10 today and while it is more refined than the last version I handled, I found the double action trigger pull had a great deal of stacking and was a bit heavy. The single action pull was okay, but still heavier than I would like. I did not feel the weird flexing feeling I encountered before. The trigger is plastic and felt a little odd. I do have to say this example had a much better slide to frame fit and felt more finished than the previous one.

I would suggest handling one before ordering if possible. I cannot in good faith suggest buying one "blind" as it may or may not work for you.

Good luck with your 10mm search!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it and follow up with a detailed review. Your observations are helpful, as I have no idea when one of those might actually make an appearance locally formme to put hands on. Now that S&W and Lipseys have put more demands on my wallet with the new "ultimate carry J-frame", it may be a while before I get around to scratching the 10mm itch, so they have some time. I hope you're enjoying the show!

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the model number. But a friend of mine briefly owned a Taurus semi-auto 45 ACP. It was a steaming pile.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Shot a buddies' TH10 at the range last week. It rates a, "Meh" for me. On the plus side; it's cheap, it fed everything, I do like the HK style manual of arms DA/SA with the ability to carry cocked and locked, but that's about it. Fit and finish are not that great. Trigger pull sucks. The ambi controls stick way out from the side of the gun with a lot of daylight showing between them and the frame/slide. And the magazine release is absolutely horrid. It takes a lot of effort, has a lot of travel and sticks out on both side to the point of gripping the gun tightly will eject the magazine.

It's the gun I wish FN would've made in 10mm rather than the 509 on steroids which they did. An FNX in 10mm would've been great. I'd pass, there's better quality choices out there.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also have an M605, and frankly I love it. I actually have more fun shooting it than my P229R, and that says a lot.

Yes, it was faulty right out of the box (cylinder carry-up alignment). Sent it back for warranty work, and it was back in my hands after just a few weeks. It's been perfect ever since.

I guess my experience has been atypical.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Shot a buddies' TH10 at the range last week. It rates a, "Meh" for me. On the plus side; it's cheap, it fed everything, I do like the HK style manual of arms DA/SA with the ability to carry cocked and locked, but that's about it. Fit and finish are not that great. Trigger pull sucks. The ambi controls stick way out from the side of the gun with a lot of daylight showing between them and the frame/slide. And the magazine release is absolutely horrid. It takes a lot of effort, has a lot of travel and sticks out on both side to the point of gripping the gun tightly will eject the magazine.

It's the gun I wish FN would've made in 10mm rather than the 509 on steroids which they did. An FNX in 10mm would've been great. I'd pass, there's better quality choices out there.

I think I watched your buddy's video. It was nice and informative, better than most of the others I've found...please thank him for putting out good info on this gun if you get the chance. You voiced pretty much exactly the same concerns I had after watching the video, and I appreciate your first-hand feedback. That mag release looks to be just awful, and I doubt I own a feeler gauge wide enough to fill the gap between those controls and the side of the frame.

Another thing I noticed in the video is that when the safety is engaged, the slide retracts part way before binding up against whatever the safety does to block it. Also, the trigger can still be pulled part way, and the hammer begins to cock, but then gets stoped against something internally. It seemed like a really half-assed way to do whatever they're doing in there. Did you get a chance to look at that at all?

Thanks again for your feedback. I definitely won't be buying one of these sight unseen, and probably not at all.

quote:
I also have an M605, and frankly I love it. I actually have more fun shooting it than my P229R, and that says a lot.

Yes, it was faulty right out of the box (cylinder carry-up alignment). Sent it back for warranty work, and it was back in my hands after just a few weeks. It's been perfect ever since.

That's a similar issue to what I've experienced with every Taurus revolver I've owned, or later in life after I stopped buying them myself, what was wrong with the ones people brought to me to fix.

They feel well balanced and solid in the hand...the equal to any Smith that I own. The trigger pull is a little worse, heavier with more stacking, but that's a fair compromise for a gun that costs half as much or less. The problem was that they just can't seem to get the lockwork and timing right. I was getting misfires and the firing pins were leaving dimples on the case head instead of the primer, which is pretty scary. I sent my 605 back to Taurus, an endeavor that cost me half a day of driving due to their poor communication and about $100 in shipping and gas, just to get a gun back that exhibited the same problem.

I'd be just fine with a proven one that I knew I could count on to work, but after that experience (and another similar one where I opted not to deal with their warranty process), I just wasn't willing to roll the dice again on an unknown. Maybe that'll change in the future...I hear they're getting better. My wife's uncle has a newer full-size .357 that I put a few rounds through last year and it did fine. If I could shoot the actual gun first to make sure it was a good one, I'd probably be ok handing over the cash...however, at this point most of my revolver needs have already been satisfied by S&W, so there's not much point.