SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 - Using a pre-upgrade slide on a post-upgrade FCG?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 - Using a pre-upgrade slide on a post-upgrade FCG? Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted
I bought an RX slide kit from Sig and I was doing a little dry fire practice with the red dot since I haven't used a pistol with an RDS much. After grabbing my other 320 to compare them I noticed my RX slide was resetting a lot earlier in the travel - I barely had to rack the slide to get the trigger to reset, where my slides that went to Sig for the "voluntary upgrade" need to be almost fully retracted to reset.

I assume the Rx slide doesn't have the same setup and is possibly a "pre-upgrade" configuration. Will this cause issues? Or does this represent a post-upgrade-era factory configuration that differs from slides that have been modified with the upgrade? I haven't fired it yet. With all of the possible configurations of 320's that now exist I'm not sure calling Sig CS will give me an accurate answer as I'm not sure they'd be completely educated on every possibility.

I'm not sure exactly what the upgrade entailed aside from the trigger having less mass to prevent a discharge when dropped. The Rx slide is for sport shooting/competition, if that matters.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 p320s. The 4th is an X-Carry. Out of the box it would reset with small amount of slide travel-which is fine. The other 3 are pre-upgrade purchases; a 9C, a 40C and a 45C. Prior to upgrade, all three would trigger-reset with minimal slide movement. After upgrade,same for the 40 and the 45, but the 9C would only reset (with trigger depressed after a dry fire) with the slide all the way back. This effect only while dry firing because at the range, it works as it should even after more than 1000 rnds
post upgrade.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A pre-upgrade slide will not work on a post-upgrade FCU. The trigger will not function.

If your trigger is dry-firing and resetting with your RX slide on your upgraded FCU, then the RX slide has been upgraded.

The upgrade to the slide involves milling a disconnector pocket, as seen here:

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A pre-upgrade slide will not function on a post-upgrade FCU. The trigger will not reset.

If your trigger is resetting with your RX slide on your upgraded FCU, then the slide has been upgraded.

Ok, perfect, thank you. Just another configuration in what is becoming a myriad of variations with the P320.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:
A pre-upgrade slide will not function on a post-upgrade FCU. The trigger will not reset.

If your trigger is resetting with your RX slide on your upgraded FCU, then the slide has been upgraded.

Ok, perfect, thank you. Just another configuration in what is becoming a myriad of variations with the P320.

Someone should make a comprehensive IF-THEN Flowchart.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll make one:

Have you upgraded your pistol yet?
YES---> Good for you! Go shoot it and enjoy it!
NO----> Why not? It's free, doesn't take long, and the pistol is better after.

I'm really not sure what's so confusing. Combinations that don't work:
1) trying to go up to .45 with 9/40/357 FCU
2) upgraded FCU, non-upgraded slide
3) ???

I mean, it sounds like you're complaining that there's too many options for a modular pistol. Seriously?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
3) ???

3) FCUs with old style slide lock levers & new style grip modules
4) Pre-2018 17/21 round magazines & X-Series grip modules
5) 1st Gen P250 Compact magazines & P320 Compacts
6) P250 slides/FCUs & P320 slides/FCUs (obvious to some, but the question comes up fairly often from less experienced gun owners, especially considering P320/P250 mags, barrels, grip modules, and holsters are interchangeable)
7) P320 FCUs with thumb safeties & non-modified grip modules

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll make one:

Have you upgraded your pistol yet?
YES---> Good for you! Go shoot it and enjoy it!
NO----> Why not? It's free, doesn't take long, and the pistol is better after.

3) ???

I mean, it sounds like you're complaining that there's too many options for a modular pistol. Seriously?

Complaining? Not quite. Concerned that multiple revisions exist that result in different function of the same parts? Yeah, that's what I made this thread about. Rogue's explanation was simple enough to set me straight, but I don't see why my P320 and my P320 function differently, have slightly different FCUs, have slides that fit well on one and not the other, have slides that reset in different spots despite the only outward difference being a red dot, have different slide catches, have different takedown levers, etc etc etc etc.

I thought my question was reasonable. Apparently I should stop complaining though, right?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
3) ???

3) FCUs with old style slide lock levers & new style grip modules
4) Pre-2018 17/21 round magazines & X-Series grip modules
5) 1st Gen P250 Compact magazines & P320 Compacts
6) P250 slides/FCUs & P320 slides/FCUs (obvious to some, but the question comes up fairly often from less experienced gun owners, especially considering P320/P250 mags, barrels, grip modules, and holsters are interchangeable)
7) P320 FCUs with thumb safeties & non-modified grip modules

3) New grip modules come with new levers. Use them.
4) I'll give you that one, cuz that was dumb. But as fast as everything P320 related sells, the only concern is preowned mags. I think you'd have to look real hard to get new-old stock.
5) Can't say I'm familiar with that one. But those would be pretty old mags.
6) Seriously? I mean Handguns 101. Are people running around trying to put P30 slides on VP9s?
7) I guess? The fact is, it's only a small number of people that want/need a safety. The cutout is indicated. I'd call it a bigger deal if the module was serialized.

As for Rustpot's reset, it has to do with any pre-existing original slide lightening cuts and the milling for the disconnector. If you have a long original cut, the disconnector won't activate until the end of the slide travel. Without a long cut, the reset is almost instantaneous. It's something you'll never notice during live fire.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
3) New grip modules come with new levers. Use them.
4) I'll give you that one, cuz that was dumb. But as fast as everything P320 related sells, the only concern is preowned mags. I think you'd have to look real hard to get new-old stock.
5) Can't say I'm familiar with that one. But those would be pretty old mags.
6) Seriously? I mean Handguns 101. Are people running around trying to put P30 slides on VP9s?
7) I guess? The fact is, it's only a small number of people that want/need a safety. The cutout is indicated. I'd call it a bigger deal if the module was serialized.

As for Rustpot's reset, it has to do with any pre-existing original slide lightening cuts and the milling for the disconnector. If you have a long original cut, the disconnector won't activate until the end of the slide travel. Without a long cut, the reset is almost instantaneous. It's something you'll never notice during live fire.

3) I like the original one more. Thankfully the X-grips are compatible
4) Unless you own first-rev magazines and bought a new X-grip module and now can't use your magazines

I understand the reset issue now, it struck me as odd when I encountered it. Yes, I realize it won't change how the pistol fires since it travels through the entire range of motion regardless, I thought it might indicate my upograde slides having material removed that was necessary for the upgrade, I didn't realize that pocket was completely missing before.

But why is there such different machining on the internals of the slides? I recall people posting when 320 threads were popping up daily a while back and there being very different cuts made on guns with close manufacturing dates.

I guess my complaint, if I had one, would be Sig's constant revisions to the pistol without identifying those changes to the consumer. In my mind changes made after a release should be communicated to the customer and tracked.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
But why is there such different machining on the internals of the slides? I recall people posting when 320 threads were popping up daily a while back and there being very different cuts made on guns with close manufacturing dates.

This has been addressed in several different threads. Some early-to-mid-production P320s have extra lightening cuts on the underside of the slide.

This was reportedly the result of Sig tinkering with the slide weight to try to ensure compatibility with some oddball ultralight 9mm load, which was apparently part of a large government contract that Sig was chasing.

(Perhaps something like the weird 94 grain semi-hollowpoint 9mm NP load used by the Dutch Police?)

This was eventually abandoned, and the unnecessary excess machining was removed from the P320 slide production process.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Rogue. I didn't keep up on the threads when they were popping up. The sheer volume made it quite difficult to track down information when I was trying to look for an answer.

posted Hide Post
What really needs to happen on this is for Sig to step up their game and post a FAQ that covers all of this. Its just insane that with all the various problems they created that they don't give the average person the necessary data to figure out what to do. Especially since they offered a modular pistol. It shouldn't be rocket science to know if what you have will work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A lot of that information was stickied for quite some time. For most folks, it's not an issue, and will decreasingly be so as time passes.

Darn SIG to heck for trying to make an innovative pistol. If you'd like to rant about that, the ship has long since sailed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post