SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Woods Carry Rigs: What Do You Like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woods Carry Rigs: What Do You Like? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Now that I have a 10mm "woods gun" (Kimber Custom II) I'm thinking about how I want to carry it in the woods. Who else to turn to for recommendations but the SF Brain Trust? Smile

I have an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig for my Sig P239 SAS, and I carried that way on one woods trip. I liked it. I've also seen recommended chest rigs.

I can see the advantages of chest rigs (easier, probably quicker access, a bit less sweeping?), but a shoulder rig would do double-duty for concealed carry with a cover garment. And I don't spend much time at all in the woods. Very little, in fact.

Alessi appears to be out of business. Perhaps Skip Ritchie, who was a protégé of Louis Alessi, makes the same or a very similar rig?

I'm only wondering if a 5 in. bbl auto-loader might be a bit on the long side for a horizontal shoulder rig?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25997 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ares Tactical makes shoulder rigs that should suit you. Both horizontal and vertical.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15992 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spend lots of time in the woods and the gun I use won't ever see concealed carry. I use a vest with the gun on the chest via molle. Very usable, durable and easy to deploy, at least on the woods part.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safariland 6004, top leg strap removed and worn as high as possible without crushing the jewels. Hard shell protects weapon, easy to deploy, low enough to use with a backpack or vest, etc.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2729 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth I have some Ritchie Gun Leather stuff. Nothing like what you are looking for, but I can attest to the quality. Ritchie seems to make GREAT stuff in my opinion.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Shoulder holster for a 10mm Glock in woods I use the Mitch Rosen inexpensive line. Holds the gun nicely and 2 magazines on opposite side help balance the rig. I can use the holster with a backpack.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll look into them.

What I'd like to try is Andrews Custom Leather's Monarch rig. The design is like no others I've seen. But at $275 it's a bit too spendy for me.

Oh yeah... wolfe 21: Seems odd, but, near as I can tell Safariland does not make that holster for a 1911. I tried entering several makes and models and it comes up saying "not available for your handgun."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25997 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd go in a different direction...

Standard military utility belt with suspenders and the pistol goes in the pouch made for an entrenching tool. Canteen and other items on the same belt.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest a Bianchi UM84 or UM92 holster.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1336122662

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1336318404

This is what I carry my Beretta 96 in. Looks like the UM92 does fit the Kimber Custom II.

With a little practice drawing quickly from the flapped holster is pretty smooth.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
What I'd like to try is Andrews Custom Leather's Monarch rig. The design is like no others I've seen. But at $275 it's a bit too spendy for me.

If you do somehow decide to go with Andrews, you will not be disappointed. I have used his holsters for 10 years now (all OWB Saddle Style). His leatherwork is top quality, bar none. He will modify any pictured design to suit your needs, at no additional price. For example, he pictures the Saddle Style with different cants, and I prefer a straight drop down (no cant). Thumb break or not, etc. Everything is suede lined, unless you prefer not to go with that. And he is a very personable gent with whom to talk over your order.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vertical shoulder holster from the 1970's for my 1911. Get one with a belt loop or tie-down on the bottom, so it doesn't swing out. Perfect for the job. Worked very well in the woods and OK for concealed carry under a jacket. Ambidextrous as well. Not too many out there nowadays, and they aren't cheap.

Some examples:
https://www.safariland.com/pro...r-holster-19952.html

https://stonerholsters.com/sto...olster-with-tie-down

https://www.galcogunleather.co...hs-3-0_8_2_1485.html

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I normally don't 'gear up' when I go into the 'woods', so an IWB G19 works ok.

Now if I knew ahead of time, I would tailor it to the environment (cold or wading in water, a chest rig might work, etc) and the potential threat.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
If you do somehow decide to go with Andrews, you will not be disappointed.

I expect I wouldn't.

Somebody wrote somewhere that his policy was that if you didn't like it, you could return it for a full refund. (Probably minus shipping. And, I would assume, it's still in "like new" condition.) That doesn't appear to be noted anywhere on his site, however.

I'll have to give some thought to this, but right now I'm inclined to go with "buy once, cry once" on this one, and go with Andrews' Monarch. His unique design just instinctively seems right to me.

In perusing the web, I did find this: Paradise Valley Leather Chest Holster for Semi-Autos. Looks like it'd work well, and it's surprisingly affordable.

posted Hide Post
We live for a few months every year at our camp in the Upper Peninsula forest. Anytime we leave the cabin I am armed. I have two carry options for my Glock 40 MOS. One is a Don Hume H726 belt holster which I more often use to carry my G41.

https://www.donhume.com/index...._info&products_id=49

The holster I use the most when out and about is a Kenai chest holster. It is considerably more comfortable to wear all day than the belt holster. It is also a better choice for riding the trails in the UTV.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunfigh...Coyote/dp/B017O90AJU

I have to say that Andrews Monarch is a beautiful rig. The lower back strap is a great idea.

Posts: 690 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My Cousin built a home in grizzly and wolf country in Western MT. Took us 2 years to clear the land, do a road for access and get the surrounding area clear of fire danger. We did a LOT of chainsaw work, removing logs and so forth. I wore my 6" Freedom Arms in a Diamond D chest rig for a few trips. Too big, too heavy. But the rig was comfortable and carried the gun well.

Finally got an EPS 1942 rig for a 4" M-29 that also worked for my 4" M-58 forty one mag. That worked well especially with a saw.

The ONLY time we really had a bear close I had the M58 out. I TRULY wished I had either my 7.5" Freedom arms .454 with full loads or my trusty Rem 870 with a tube full of 1 oz SLUGS. LOL.

I like the chest rigs. Look at the El Paso 1942.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
We live for a few months every year at our camp in the Upper Peninsula forest. Anytime we leave the cabin I am armed. I have two carry options for my Glock 40 MOS. One is a Don Hume H726 belt holster which I more often use to carry my G41.

https://www.donhume.com/index...._info&products_id=49

That Don Hume holster looks very similar to the DeSantis thumb-break scabbard I had for my G22. I really liked that holster. I did woods carry with it a couple times, and it worked well.

quote:
The holster I use the most when out and about is a Kenai chest holster.

Not a big fan of Kydex, though I do have some Kydex holsters. I think if I was going with a chest rig I'd want one with a removable full-cover flap.

quote:
I have to say that Andrews Monarch is a beautiful rig. The lower back strap is a great idea.

Yup. I'm currently leaning that way. We'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Finally got an EPS 1942 rig for a 4" M-29 that also worked for my 4" M-58 forty one mag. That worked well especially with a saw.

It looks comfortable. Problem there is ISTM draw might be awkward--drawing vertically with the holster up that high. And we're back to something anchored between shoulder and waist.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Rob Leahy's Simply Rugged holsters. His Chesty Puller accessories convert his belt holster to chest carry. Great stuff!

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/index.cfm

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16141 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Safariland ALS low ride or on a QLS plate on pack hip belt. I used to like the Wilderness safepacker but they want WAY too much for it these days.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm in the woods a lot and love the Hill People Gear chest rig. I've tried shoulder rigs but find the chest rig more comfy and I'm able to move a lot more freely.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use the Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig.
Outstanding piece of gear. But I always ended up getting it wet in rain or snow.
I now use only Kydex for woods use. Just makes better sense.
I replaced the Diamond D with a GunfightersINC Kenai chest rig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15992 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post