SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Woods Carry Rigs: What Do You Like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woods Carry Rigs: What Do You Like? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'll have to give some thought to this, but right now I'm inclined to go with "buy once, cry once" on this one, and go with Andrews' Monarch. His unique design just instinctively seems right to me.

My Andrews Saddle Style, straight drop holster for my SIG P220-10mm SAO.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for the Gunfighters Inc. Kenai Chest Rig.

Comfortable, clean, and easy to adjust. And it takes multiple shells for different guns.

If you are packing a 10mm, I assume you mean to encounter medium sized predators. The chest rig is a good fit for that.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(shrug) I just use a whole mess of different style strong side holsters for a whole mess of different guns.

My only non ^ is a bandoleer style (not quite a shoulder holster) for an 8" barrel hunting revolver and it can get quite annoying.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Another Hill People Gear chest rig fan. Comfy, easy to access, hides and fully covers weapon, able to carry add’l items. Will also allow carry while wearing a back pack. Works for many different guns...not gun specific.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sourkraut,

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do an IWB G20 with an x300U. Believe the holster is a Bravo Co with some IWB clips. Nice for when you bump into other people or go into town afterwards with not much more than Tshirt and jeans.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diamond D chest rig.
Glock G20

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put me in for Hill People Gear. Not cheap but well made. Not fastest, but fast enough for the advantages. I ended up with two. Plus if you decide your woods gun is something else it will still work. Good luck.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfighters[Inc]....It's a REALLY Nice rig!

I got it to carry an HK USPc in .357 SIG and I can't recommend it enough! The people at Gunfighters were great to deal with and customized it EXACTLY the way I wanted it. The quality is excellent, it's extremely adjustable and it carries VERY well! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another + for the Kenai chest rig: Extra holsters. Once you buy the entire rig, you can swap out holsters for multiple guns.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Andrew's Monarch shoulder holster is the hands-down best shoulder holster I've ever tried.

Much better to wear than Galco's Miami classic. The Alessi shoulder holster never, ever fit the gun right. After sending it back, they still couldn't fix it. Total waste if money.

I now use the Monarch for my p320. It's very comfortable and the lower strap helps keep everything where it ought to be. It's a really good system.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a hunting sidearm, I carry either a 6” GP100 or a 686 in a cross draw shoulder holster. I could use a G20 or 10mm 1911 just as easily, but I’m used to carrying a 357 Mag in the field.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Andrew's Monarch shoulder holster is the hands-down best shoulder holster I've ever tried.

Yours is not the first such testimonial like that I've read.

I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go.

quote:
Much better to wear than Galco's Miami classic. The Alessi shoulder holster never, ever fit the gun right. After sending it back, they still couldn't fix it. Total waste if money.

One of my best friends has both a Galco Miami Classic and an Alessi Bodyguard. (Made when Louis Alessi was still with us.) He felt the Bodyguard to be far superior to the Miami Classic.

My Bodyguard's holster's snap had been installed backwards and the shoulder harness looked like it'd been cut by a drunk. I contacted Alessi and sent it back. They fixed the snap problem on the holster (which had otherwise been fine) and replaced the harness. So my experience with them was satisfactory. And the rig carries satisfactorily, too.

If they'd still been in business, and not developed a bad reputation, lately, I probably would've simply ordered from them a holster and mag carrier for my 1911s.

quote:
I now use the Monarch for my p320. It's very comfortable and the lower strap helps keep everything where it ought to be. It's a really good system.

Yeah, it looks to me that way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Put me in for Hill People Gear. Not cheap but well made. Not fastest, but fast enough for the advantages. I ended up with two. Plus if you decide your woods gun is something else it will still work. Good luck.

Another fan here. I’ve also used a Wilderness Safepacker attached to my backpack waist belt with good success.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic -

I'd encourage you to give Sam Andrews a call - he's a quite pleasant gentleman to talk to and it's evident that he truly cares about getting your order made to suit you. He'll customize parts of your Monarch to fit your needs, if you're interested - for example, on my magazine carrier, he added a third pouch to hold a Surefire flashlight.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ensigmatic -

I'd encourage you to give Sam Andrews a call - ...

I almost certainly will.

I'm trying to slow my roll a bit Smile Besides considering a shoulder or chest rig, I'll need ammo. Between the two we're talking another $500 or more.

I haven't even had the new Kimber to the range, yet. I'd been dry-firing fairly frequently, and going to the range at least once-a-month. Then I got to focusing on Other Things round about last September or so and stopped doing both. Now I'm way out of practice Frown. I'm getting a bunch of dry-firing practice in right now, then I'll get to the range.

Between being out-of-practice and new pistol break-in, it'll be a bit before I'm ready to carry this pistol.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Kenai and really liked it but sold it with a gun. Now I have a 2A holster Outdoorsman and it's just as good, more comfortable and costs less.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So here I am, about a year-and-a-half later, and I finally got around to giving Sam Andrews a call. Darned if he wasn't in the shop on Labor Day!

He is quite easy to talk to. Got my Monarch rig on order. As luck would have it he's just working on a large batch of 1911 holsters, so I should have my new shoulder rig in a couple weeks or so.

Big plus: I'm now up to four 1911s, five if you count my Kimber Rimfire Target. The new holster will work for all of them

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Nice! Congrats on both the abbreviated holster wait-time AND your expanding 1911 collection!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
^^ Nice! Congrats on both the abbreviated holster wait-time AND your expanding 1911 collection!

Thanks!

Though I think "expanding" is probably expanded. I'm not gonna say "never," but I will say it's somewhat unlikely I'll be buying any more handguns.

Admittedly, it's my own fault for getting a bit *cough* lax in organization, but, when I recently dove into the gun safe and looked at the various mags laying out, I got to wondering and found myself a couple times thinking "What the hell does this one belong to?!?!"

I'm thinkin' it might be time to give it a rest? Wink

posted Hide Post
I made a kydex belt holster into a chest rig for…gasp……a Kel Tec P17 22lr. Of course where I’m in the woods a black bear is the biggest thing I would encounter, and more often then not, I see coyotes around me in hunting season.
Works for me, or course I can always switch
Holsters to my P365 or 1911.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post