SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tempted by the Walther PDP compact
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tempted by the Walther PDP compact Login/Join 
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Do you think the F is smaller grip wise than the PDP compact?
I put the small backstrap on, but smaller would be better.

What barrel length did you order on the F?

Yes, much smaller. Felt closer to a G43x.
I ordered the 3.5".

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are now sooooooo many guns in this category. What does Walther bring to the table that others, starting with Glock, and including almost every major gun manufacturer, don't already?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
There are now sooooooo many guns in this category. What does Walther bring to the table that others, starting with Glock, and including almost every major gun manufacturer, don't already?

Personal preference but for me... grip texture/feel. This is the big one along with overall package size.
The G43X, as good as it is, needed a little more girth for me. Others may differ.
15 round mags for the PDP F without extensions or buying different mags/mag catches and such.

If you know what optic you like, you get a free premium plate for it. It's on par with the FN 509 mounting system, IMO.

Unlike the Shield, Sig, Hellcat and all the other non-Glock models, the Walther uses Glock aftermarket night sights,
which is a huge plus for me.

Do we need to even discuss triggers? Big Grin

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

I'd say one of the best grips and triggers available in a polymer defensive pistol, in a pistol that is based on a P99, which is a 25 year old design used by quite a few police and military agencies.

I believe the same question could and should be asked about every other pistol available today, and in reverse. Given that reliability and durability are about equal across the lineup, what matters to me most is how the pistol behaves in my hands. Glocks have more of an aftermarket, but I don't feel the need to add anything to my Walthers other than sights. I wish I could shoot a Glock as well and as easily as a Walther, but I'll have to stick with higher mag prices, and more of a sharp recoil impulse of the Walther. The benefits to me outweigh that.

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 13, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
More succinctly Walther brings to the table, a 30 day 100% money back guarantee.

Are there other manufacturers besides Walther that offer this? I don't know if any do. I didn't know Walther did either.

That is pretty bold of Walther.

Joe

posted Hide Post
Watched the video on Walther's website...so THAT'S what "F" stands for.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked it up. Changed the backstrap to small, cleaned and lubed. Off to the range. 500 rounds of mixed 115 grain stuff.
Zero malfunctions. Trigger is very good. Sights are plastic but adjustable. accuracy was good.
Slide is BIG.
Not a keeper for me.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slide is BIG.
The Hell you say. Razz

I'll stick with the PPQ, thank you.

Posts: 107249 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was never a Walther guy until I felt the PDP grip, so no experience with the PPQ.

Maybe down the road , they will do a hybrid with the PPQ slide and PDP grip.

Was just eh for me.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
was never a Walther guy until I felt the PDP grip, so no experience with the PPQ.

Maybe down the road , they will do a hybrid with the PPQ slide and PDP grip.

Was just eh for me.

You can do that hybrid yourself if you'd like.

It's entirely possible to run a PPQ slide atop a PDP frame. They are compatible. I have two PDPs set up exactly that way.

The PDP really is an evolved PPQ. Most parts are compatible.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can those configurations be special ordered from Walther or do you have to buy two pistols---one PPQ and one PDP---and then do the mixing and matching yourself?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You have to buy two guns and swap the slides yourself. I’ve been trying for years to get a milled slide from Walther, and all I get is “buy a whole pistol and swap slides”.

Walther N. America is a bunch of a-holes.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the PDP was released, Walther stated their intention to start selling frames and slides separately.

To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet but I think it is still their plan.

Walther has said the demand for the PDP exceeded their expectations and every slide and frame produced was going into building complete guns.

Walther is saying once they get caught up with demand they'll start selling frames and slides independently.

When that will be...I haven't a clue.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Funny, that’s the same thing they said about the PPQ.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I picked it up. Changed the backstrap to small, cleaned and lubed. Off to the range. 500 rounds of mixed 115 grain stuff.
Zero malfunctions. Trigger is very good. Sights are plastic but adjustable. accuracy was good.
Slide is BIG.
Not a keeper for me.

If you comparing to a PPQ yea. If you comparing to a Glock, FN or esp Sig I don't think so.

You a red dot guy? Before you bail I would try a red dot.
I put a 508T on mine and without a doubt, best presentation with an optic I've ever experienced.

I replaced the sights with standard height ameriglos to leave the window unobstructed and like it. I could still use the front sight along the top of the base of the red dot if needed.

Joe

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a PDP Compact as an alternative to my P365 off and on for about a year. The grip is very comfortable to me and it's been totally reliable. I replaced the factory trigger with one from Precision Overwatch and though the OEM was nice, this provided a significant improvement that I'd highly recommend. I'd much rather carry this polymer pistol than a Glock, because it's grip angle and circumference feel far more nature in my hands. The price point on the PDP is very reasonable for what you're getting and it seems made for the Holosun green dot optic I chose for it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
When the PDP was released, Walther stated their intention to start selling frames and slides separately.
I suppose Walther is being pulled along by SIG in this respect, although without a separate FCU, the PDP is less modular than the P320, of course. However, I can see the appeal of being able to buy a longslide for your PDP, or put your PPQ slide on a PDP lower, since everyone seems to really like the PDP grip texture.

The P99 has come a long way. AFAIC the P99/PPQ has always been underrated. I'm glad to hear that the line will continue.

Posts: 107249 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
I suppose Walther is being pulled along by SIG in this respect, although without a separate FCU, the PDP is less modular than the P320, of course. However, I can see the appeal of being able to buy a longslide for your PDP, or put your PPQ slide on a PDP lower, since everyone seems to really like the PDP grip texture.

The P99 has come a long way. AFAIC the P99/PPQ has always been underrated. I'm glad to hear that the line will continue.

I 100% agree the separate FCU puts the P320 on a different level in regards to modularity.

Sig was very smart there.

Interestingly, the P99 is still being produced.

Now if we could only get a P99 with the grip texture of the PDP...

posted Hide Post
Just an observation based on some images I've seen, it appears that the F Series must be made in the US. Only "Walther Arms, Fort Smith, AR" is on the right side of the frame behind the slide stop.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
The case on the F Series states "Assembled in the US". I don't know of the components are made in the US.

Joe