SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question regarding carbon steel 1911s and long term care
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding carbon steel 1911s and long term care Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

I know this has been discussed previously but I cannot find the thread, if some can post a link that would be great.

In the meantime, I have a blued carbon steel Colt 1911 and I want to ensure I keep it rust-free. At the recommendation of the shop owner where I purchased it years ago I’ve kept it in the plastic bag that it shipped with and I oil it periodically but I feel like I should be doing more.

How best should one care for a carbon steel 1911?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
based on my 'testing' which is really oriented to long terms storage under adverse conditions without the need for periodic intervention...the best for what you describe is a sealed VCI bag, with an additional VCI emitter and well lubricated with a good rust preventative oil. This assumes you actually want to take it out and use it periodically. If you want pure long term storage I would make a slightly modified suggestion.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is pretty much what I had in mind.

With the cost of .45 these days it may come out once a year for a range trip but otherwise it stays in the safe, thankfully I live in a dry climate and I keep those desiccation packs in the safe.

I usually wipe it down with M-Pro 7 or would you recommend a different oil? I’ll look into the VCI bag, thank you.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've been a big fan of Corrosion-X for many years.
I use it on all my guns and tools and never have any rust problems.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16481 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the suggestions. I have ordered some of those Otis rust prevention bags and I will look into that oil.

posted Hide Post
I pretty much hate stainless and own almost exclusively carbon steel guns. I used to live in a rather humid area as well. They never needed any special attention to speak of. I never have been obsessed with caring for guns, and frequently wiping down with oil has never been done, and never have rust issues.
They are not as fragile as you might think
I have carbon steel guns that have sat in a storage unit or safe literally for years with no attention. No rust or issues at all

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've stored blued steel firearms in no more than Boyt cloth gun rugs, in un-air conditioned spaces, for years at a time, with no more than a wipe-down with a silicon gun and reel cloth, with no problem.

Heck, one S/A revolver was stored for so long the Hoppe's gun oil turned to lacquer and I had a helluva time getting the cylinder pin out.

If it's in open air; in a safe; in a relatively dry environment; with little in the way of rapid, wide temperature swings; and particularly if you have a Golden Rod in the safe, I wouldn't worry about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I think sometimes we over think things. I keep my gun stored with a light coat of Rem oil. I run a dehumidifier and my safes keep a humidity of 50-60%. Never have had any rust issues.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I keep most of mine on a shelf in the safe and just wipe them down with a lightly oiled rag before I put them in there and after cleaning. One lives in a sock drawer and gets wiped down when I think about it. Never an issue. Keep them clean and dry and wipe them down after handling and you're good unless you live somewhere coastal.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post