SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92x RDO Centurion vs Full Size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92x RDO Centurion vs Full Size Login/Join 
posted
Looking to buy a Beretta 92x RDO, purely a range and home defense gun. Practically speaking for my use is there any reason to purchase a centurion vs a full size gun? Also, I’ve seen comments recommending that it is preferable to inspect gun prior to purchasing vs buying online. What has been your experience? Thanks, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both and the full size is the way to go, at least for me. The barrel/slide is roughly a 1/2" smaller than the full size but the frame is the same. The Compact model is smaller in the barrel and frame but still a large gun to carry/conceal.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an older full-size 92FS that I've owned for years, and just recently picked up a 92x Compact. If you are 100% certain that you are only going to use it for the range and never carry it, the full-size is the way to go (or of you really want to go crazy, give the 92X performance a look...that thing is sick and I wish I could afford one!). The longer sight radius makes for a more precise range gun, and the added size and mass provides a lighter felt-recoil impulse.

However, if there is any chance you are going to carry the thing, that slide is HUGE and not fun to tote around. It digs into everything when you sit down if you're carrying IWB, and OWB I just found it too large to easily conceal. My 92FS was the first gun that I ever bought, and I carried it for a few years before I could afford something else. I quickly found myself wishing I'd purchased a centurion or a compact instead. When I started thinking about getting back into a Beretta as a carry piece, the full-size wasn't even a consideration, and I started looking for a 92x compact to fill that role. It's still big enough to shoot well, but small enough that it's much easier to carry.

I did notice a few QC issues on my new 92X compact. There's another thread on that ( https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/5260058194) so I won't go into them all here, but I'd definitely recommend that you inspect it in person before purchasing if possible.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the full-size, centurion, and compact. For your use the Compact is out. The full-size and Centurion are basically identical except for slide and barrel length and honestly the difference is minimal. I kind of like the balance of the Centurion but I will be the first to admit it might all be in my head. I used to own a Centurion 92FS and it did nothing for me. Recently I picked up a 92X Centurion and it quickly became a favorite. It also has the Vertec grip and a very good factory trigger so it’s not apples to apples.

Handle them both and decide. You aren’t giving up anything in realistic terms by going slightly smaller Centurion size. Not for nothing, full sized guns are easy to find, Centurions and Compacts tend to arrive in batches and disappear for awhile so that’s a point for the Centurion.

My money? 92X Centurion. Best of breed unless you step your game way up price wise in the 92 lineup. I actually prefer my 92X’s to my LTT’s and I love my LTT’s.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QC. I normally think most bitches are cosmetic and minor but my compact had a bad one. I noticed my frame was gouged. I tracked it backwards to the roll pin of the locking block wasn’t centered so it gouged a crease through my frame during firing. Pissed me off. It took 2 seconds with a punch to center it and fix the issue. Beretta should have caught that. I wish I had caught that before firing. Do I think it will make any negative issue going forward? No, but it is shitty QC.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Compact and Centurion share the same upper. Long term you could pick up both, one with RDO and one without, then mix and match slides. The Centurion and Full size both take the same full size magazines. If the factory .22 conversion kit is of any interest to you, it only works on a Full size frame. I have one and it's been outstanding without a single malfunction.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone, your comments have been very helpful and exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks again, Tom

posted Hide Post
Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I bought a new full size 92x, RDO,G, with 18 round magazines. I used to shoot competitive Bullseye and am surprised at how good the trigger is, i.e.,smooth and creep free. Now to clean it and take it on its maiden voyage. Tom