SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for our 1911 guys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for our 1911 guys Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I have a Colt 1991 which I bought back in the late 1990s. I had intended to have it customized but you know how that goes. I changed out the plastic MSH and the plastic trigger. I installed a blued Delta Elite trigger (long, steel trigger). This pistol has a grand total of 150 rounds of Remington 230 grain ball through it. I pulled it out the other day to take a look at it and discovered an issue.

If I cock the hammer, apply the safety, and then squeeze the trigger while the safety is applied, the hammer will drop to the intercept notch when the safety is flicked off. If I cock the hammer, apply the safety and flick it off without touching the trigger, the hammer stays put.

I haven't played amateur gunsmith with the pistol, no modifications to sear, hammer or any springs.

What's going on with this thing?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I’d look at the sear spring and make sure during reassembly it’s positioned so the leaf leg creates enough pressure against the sear itself. Sounds like the sear doesn’t have enough spring pressure against it and by pulling the trigger you set it forward slightly and disengaging the thumb safety allows the hammer to fall but since the trigger isn’t depressing the sear completely the sear catches in the safety stop?

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Like this, para: Hammer falls with the safety on? (1911 Addicts)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An ill fit safety, sounds like.
But just for fun, put the plastic trigger back in and see what it does.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
I’d look at the sear spring and make sure during reassembly it’s positioned so the leaf leg creates enough pressure against the sear itself. Sounds like the sear doesn’t have enough spring pressure against it and by pulling the trigger you set it forward slightly and disengaging the thumb safety allows the hammer to fall but since the trigger isn’t depressing the sear completely the sear catches in the safety stop?

The sear spring plays a bigger part in the 1911's function than most people think. I think this is the problem.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Agreed, and since the gun functioned correctly before hand I don’t think the thumb safety is bad. Plus, I know from experience the spring leaf placement gets knocked out of whack sometimes when you’re sliding the mainspring housing back up into the frame

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Like this, para: Hammer falls with the safety on? (1911 Addicts)
No, when the safety is on and the trigger is pulled, the hammer doesn't move at all. Only when the safety is flicked off.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The trigger doesn't have an over travel set screw does it? Might be screwed it too deep.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No overtravel screw

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
If the overtravel screw was threaded in too deep it would not allow the end of the trigger bow to contact the sear, so that's not it.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I agree it sounds like the sear spring does not have enough tension to return the trigger to it's proper "unpulled" position...which could either be an improperly installed sear spring, a defective sear spring, or possibly a burr or grit on the trigger, or improperly fit trigger shoe that is dragging, keeping it from returning to position.

Try this:

With the safety on, pull the trigger. There should be some take-up. When you release the trigger, does it return to it's original, unpulled position, or does it stay rearward in the position where you released it...or spring back to a point short of where it started? It should be returning to the fully-forward position where it was before you pulled it.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
With the safety on, pull the trigger. There should be some take-up. When you release the trigger, does it return to it's original, unpulled position, or does it stay rearward in the position where you released it
Yes, there's takeup- you could even call it "mush". As to your second question, I'll have to retrieve it and see. The pistol is in a different location.

You guys are probably right- it's an issue which happened during reassembly. I'll pull the MSH and see.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Myazy had to talk me through reassembling my new one this morning.
It has the Series 80 safety assembly in it, making it somewhat difficult to put back together correctly.

I'll shot at him and see if he can help.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
On a series 80, you should be able to pull the trigger on first cock and the hammer fall.

But it sounds like the finger springs are not in proper place or the trigger bar is too long putting pressure on the sear.

My bet is on the trigger bar needing fitting.

There's a REALLY good chance the safety was fractured and has a chunk broke off of it from disassembly. Seen that before with MIM/cast parts.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post