SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911's...which is a decent one to get...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911's...which is a decent one to get... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I am planning to buy two 1911's for my retirement. (I put $$ down on a Springfield Target Loaded in 9mm already...)

I would prefer a full size 1911, and railed one if possible. (I'm in CA, so my options are limited...). The gun should be something that is set up for carry, it's not for target practice.

Here is what I am looking at:

- Kimber TLE/RL II
- Sig 1911 Tacops (Sig contour slide)
- Springfield MC Operator (If I can even find one...which is doubtful)
- Springfield Loaded model (also impossible to find)
- Kimber TLE
- Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail (again...if I can find one...)

Looking for any input on the above.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on my own personal experience, I can't recommend a Kimber. I'm a small sample, but I've owned two in the past (TLE/RL II Stainless and a two-tone Kimber Tactical Custom II). Neither would run. The specific problems with both were failures to feed reliably. The Tactical Custom II wouldn't feed the very first Federal FMJ from the very first magazine. Two trips to Kimber still didn't result in a fix. I blame the Kimber mags, old external extractors and tight chambers that both pistols had.

My experience with Springfield Armory 1911s has been exactly the opposite. I own a 20 year old MC Operator that has never suffered a broken part or malfunctions and I shoot it often using Wilson and McCormick mags. It's hollowpint reliable, too. Though still functional, I did just replace the ambi safety for a Wilson Bulletproof strong-side safety after the internal engagement of the original ambi safety become worn after 2 decades of use. This was more of a preventative than anything else.

My 9mm Range Officer Elite Operator has been reliable through roughly 1000 plus rounds now using Leatham/Metalform 9mm mags. Both of my SA 1911s have rails, and are like carrying around a conjoined twin.

I can't speak to Sig or Dan Wesson 1911s, but I know the latter is highly respected. The Sig 1911 STX two-tone is widely available and a great looking pistol. Reviews are good.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend a Springfield Armory Professional with a rail if it's on the CA list. If that's outside your budget, the MC Operator is tops. They're hard to find, but out there. Lastly, the new Springfield Armory Loaded Operator is getting great reviews if you can find one or have your LGS order you one. Can't go wrong with SA 1911s. Good luck!

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig Nightmare Carry has been excellent. I would also consider the Ruger SR1911. Mine has been flawless so far. But I dont think Ruger makes a railed model.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just take the kimbers off your list. Stick with the Springfield, Dan Wesson ect. Not sure if Ruger offers one with a rail but their 1911’s are pretty nice too

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you want your 1911's in .45, but I just hit the 1,000 round mark with a Colt Delta Elite I bought new a few months ago. Once in the thousand rounds the slide failed to lock open on an empty mag. Flawless feeding, firing, extracting and ejecting other than that. I have had 6 different kinds of ammo thru it (all factory) including FMJ and hollow points.
Some will say Colts are hit or miss but my last couple have all been hits. Why not grab a full size Colt as one of the 2. I think they hold their value pretty well and i think they are good shooters for the most part.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, just noticed one of your deposits was on a 9mm 1911. My local shop (about 5 minutes south of the Colt factory in West Hartford) had several 9mm's both full size and commanders last time i was in there. I have to say they looked real nice. I am not really a .45 guy (although i still have owned many over the years just can't warm up to the round), and I have several good shooting 9mm, so I passed but certainly not because of my experience with my Delta or the last couple Colt's i had (2 in .45 and one in .38 super)

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would go with Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19690 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson's quality blows away any other 1911 in their price range of ~$1100 to ~$1800.

If it has to be under $1k, go with someone else. If you're willing to spend $2k+ for something custom/semi-custom, go for it. But if >$1k and <$2k is your price point, you want Dan Wesson.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tarheelfan84
posted Hide Post
You failed to mention one of the most important factors when considering a 1911… How deep are your pockets? If you wanted to stay in the 1K range I would look at either Colt or Springfield. The Colt and Springfield would also make a great base gun if you decide to build on it down the rd… if you have more to spend then save up enough to bypass the Dan Wesson and look for a good deal on a Wilson Combat. They are out there you just have to be patient and be willing to look. And others have already mentioned this in your thread and I will agree with them. Just do yourself a favor and take kimber off your list.

Posts: 677 | Location: WNC  | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Careful... this is a slippery slope. I started out asking the same questions. I ended up with a DW Heritage, then a Colt. Then another DW V Bob. Then a Ed Brown, then another Ed Brown. I think you see how this is going to go. A great hobby we have! Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2774 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Dan Wesson's quality blows away any other 1911 in their price range of ~$1100 to ~$1800.

If it has to be under $1k, go with someone else. If you're willing to spend $2k+ for something custom/semi-custom, go for it. But if >$1k and <$2k is your price point, you want Dan Wesson.

Couldn't have been better said.

We've had a number of different brands over the years but found DW to be the best of the commercial lot. Have 4 currently.
Still have a highly modified multi-caliber Colt for "range" fun and an ARMSCOR (Charles Daly) "beater." My youngest inherited his brother's Springfield MC Operator.

FWIW I personally feel DW is the sweet spot. If I wanted something with more cachet, I'd skip over the likes of Ed Brown, Les Baer, Bill Wilson, Nighthawk, etc. and go directly to a full house custom maker like Ned Christiansen, Jason Burton, Ted Yost, CT Brian, and others of this caliber.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16244 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Get a Kimber 2 Tone or GFO and spend the rest on mags and ammo.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me it is a no brainer unless you are spending stupid money. Dan Wesson. Say it twice and wait till one comes available. My two Valors are basically perfect.

The build is great, the triggers are great. They do the best understated slide marking in the industry. It says Valor in small nice script on one side and that’s it. Beautiful.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If it was my money, Kimber would not be on the list. Quality is hit or miss and in my experience, it leans towards miss very regularly.

I would look for a Dan Wesson or Springfield Armory.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea of what's available on the Roster...

Armscor / Rock Island
Dan Wesson
Ed Brown
Kimber
Les Baer
Nighthawk Custom
Sig
Springfield
Wilson Combat

My budget is $1500-$2000 trying to keep as far below $2K as possible.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Last count I have 36 1911s in my safe. Since I either have or have owned about one of everything listed and a lot that hasn't then my recommendation for one in your price range is the Dan Wesson.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Last count I have 36 1911s in my safe. Since I either have or have owned about one of everything listed and a lot that hasn't then my recommendation for one in your price range is the Dan Wesson.

The only bummer is we only have two on the roster, the CBOB Commander and the Pointman 7...

posted Hide Post
bcjwriter and all,

I've been around 1911's for over sixty years and carried them professionally most of my adult life...I'll leave it at that.

Given your budget and choices I would go with a Dan Wesson OR a upper end Springfield Armory pistol. My carry pistols are mostly Colts that have been worked over.

Lot's of options available, but my advice is to get what you want regardless of the cost. Get what you want made the way you want and you will have a pistol you can trust, be proud of, and that will serve you well...

Here's my almost thirty year old custom commander. It's served me well and continues to do so...good luck in your quest.

Posts: 2428 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Not on your list but my Ruger SR1911’s have been superb.

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know everyone has a budget to be mindful of but I wouldn't be so quick to limit myself. From your shortlist the one that stands out is DW. Kimber is a bit too sketchy regarding frequency of potential problems or quality issues, and SA's past business practices makes them dead to me.

SIG 1911s look as if they were separated at birth from the P226 instead of what JMB intended. YMMV of course, but that's my only grouse regarding them. Every one I've ever shot ran without issue.

If you don't mind inexpensive (well, most of the time), the Rock Island products are quite good for the money. We occasionally bring RIA 1911s in and they've proven to be extremely popular, yes in part due to their usually lower pricing but also due to their general reliability and build quality. Shame Tisas isn't on the roster; They're getting a ton of love these days and one of their basic 1911A1 models in high on my consideration list. At around $300 it has a trigger action that has no business existing in a gun this inexpensive. Since it's trying to evoke a US Army Colt 1911A1 vibe, the sights naturally suck, but other than that it seems to be a genuinely good 1911. At the very least it should prove itself to be worthy choice for a future project.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post