SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911's...which is a decent one to get...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911's...which is a decent one to get... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just want pictures. These are all beautiful guns.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I just want pictures.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, I do love a Valor.

Honestly I would buy DW just for the tasteful markings. I pulled one out. Nice script Valor on one side, clean slide on the other, well executed rollmark of maker and location small on the frame. Perfect.

Then I dry fired a few times. Weight of pull is a personal preference but that actual trigger pull on my sample of 2 is basically perfect. Clean, crisp, no creep, no overtravel, short crisp reset. I don’t think it could be improved in any way that matters to me. Straight out of the box that way X 2.

I struggle to restrain from commenting on that Savage 1911 thread because at 1200 bucks that is more than one of my DW’s and slightly less than the other. DW is the “hidden” gem in this price range. Seriously a no brainer in a world of choice.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the cost of the den lesson has also gone up, so it is now out of my price range. I’ll be probably getting the Kimber, as I used to carry one on duty years ago. A little nostalgia for you…

Posts: 1968 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Here are my CA roster 1911’s.

Both are Springfield.

TRP and the EMP 9mm.

The TRP is my favorite pistol. I thought the front strap checkering was sharp until I shot it. I think it’s perfect.

img photos

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3488 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So, due to budget and some of the increased prices I picked up the Sig 1911 stainless railed. It had all the components I wanted (still had the parts from Ed brown or whoever supplied hammers, etc.) and it just felt better in the hand.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not on your list but my Ruger SR1911’s have been superb.
Yep, that's been my experience as well. I have two now: a 5" SR1911, and a 4.25" CMD. Both are first rate for function and accuracy. 200 gr LSWC's feed flawlessly, and backed by 5.2 gr of Win 231, they'll produce 2" groups at 25 yds. That said, I find both just too heavy for daily carry. An alloy frame model would be my 1st choice if that was a major consideration.

Filling that role for me (an all day carry piece) goes to a Sig 1911 RCS. It has all of the carry mods and none of the glitzy mall ninja crap. It's got an alloy frame, checkered front and back, match bbl., Novak tritium sights, a target grade trigger, and has all corners/angles melted for easy of carry. I like it a LOT. This is also a 2" grouper at 25 yds for me. In all respects, it's a custom grade gun for $700 (today's "buy it now" price on GB).

Rod...here's the pic of mine.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is still going i can weigh in with another option. I completely lost it over the holiday and bought 3 guns, all 3 of which were Magnum research/Bul Armory 1911's. I saw the first one the Friday before Christmas and it was a 10mm so i snapped it up. I had never seen one before. Then I went yesterday to 2 different dealers and one had a 5" .45, the other had a 3" U model (the U stands for undercover). All of these were extremely well made, fit and finish was excellent (although i am a stainless guy they only had black versions).
Shot all 3, 200 rounds thru the 10mm-perfect.
400 rounds thru the 2 .45's, 3 different kinds of ammo, all perfect.
I don't see these often but I would not hesitate to get another.
They were all in the low to mid $900's with the 10mm being the most expensive.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
So, due to budget and some of the increased prices I picked up the Sig 1911 stainless railed. It had all the components I wanted (still had the parts from Ed brown or whoever supplied hammers, etc.) and it just felt better in the hand.

You made a good choice in my opinion...while the Dan Wesson would have been nice, I can't say enough good things about all . of my Sig 1911s.....Now I just need to find one in .357sig

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I'm also a huge fan of the Ruger SR1911
I bought one as soon as they came out. Everyone that shoots it loved It. It always works and hits where it is pointed

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9073 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed.
My Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander in 9mm has been a rock-solid gun.
I did change the plunger spring because I preferred more tension on the safety, and also went to a 13-pound recoil spring. Again, just preference, not anything related to initial function.
It has eaten any ammo I've fed it since day one, shoots directly to point of aim and is quite accurate.
Highly recommended.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bcjwriter and all,

I had forgotten that Colt's are in your price range. Here's one that I have that is recommended without reservation...the Colt Lightweight Government Model. They are well within your price range and the quality is exceptional. Also, at 29 oz. they are a pleasure to carry. Price is probably around $1,200 to $1,300 and it comes with everything you could want on a carry gun.

Good luck in you continued quest.

Wes

Posts: 2428 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
simple answer to the original question:

Full Size Emperor Scorpion, It's a Sig

Here's a picture of a good friend of mine shooting a Sig 1911 at the Sig Academy ... we went out to 120 yards in this class and he was tagging that steel target with every shot.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Springfield TRP.
Mine is fantastic.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So I went and picked her up today...

Finally I have a Sig again...

Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
I would be really happy if I could find a Singer Manufacturing Company 1911 at a good price...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
bcjwriter

Glad you got that Sig 1911. For carry, you have to go commander oe smaller. I was going to recommend a Sig C3. The “C3” stands for… Concealed Carry Compact. Love mine:

The Seattle SharpShooter

Posts: 99 | Location: Seattle Washington USA | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
So I went and picked her up today...

Finally I have a Sig again...

Just be careful if you intend to get a holster, check with maker for fit.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Looks good bcjwriter. Also I think you were smart to go this route over a Kimber.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
bcjwriter,
It is hard to go wrong with a SIG product

I am a BIG 1911 fan I have owned Many over the last 4+ decades and I still do. Probably more Colt than anything else.

Myself I would have gone Kimber. For more than two decades I have owned many Kimbers and still own seven that I shoot often

I had my Kimber Polymer Stainless Gold Match out at our range just two weeks ago

Tomorrow I will be shooting my little Ultra CDP. This is one that I often carry

That is actually the only little 1911 that I have ever carried on a regular basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post