SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Magazine counterfeits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Magazine counterfeits? Login/Join 
posted
I have purchased a couple of magazines for my SIG P-229.The are marked with Sig Logo and proper P 229 .40 .357 markings

The came in plain plastic sealed bag, with no marking on the bag of any kind.

Magazines look to be authentic from appearance, but the plastic bag seem to be very cheap and it sticks to the Mag in several places, and when removed from bag, where they were stuck there is shiny plastic part of the bag that has affixed to the mag. Looks very weird, and I am suspicious that these are not really sig mags.

Is there any evidence that SIG mags are being knocked off in China? or some other place.

Again, the mag would look authentic, from appearance, but the packaging seems suspiciously wrong and I need to know if it can be counterfeit.

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: April 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
That happened with old Sig mags that were coated in some sort of grease and sat in the bag for years. They are probably new old stock. It'll come clean if you want using regular gun cleaning aupplies, but nothing to worry about either way.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible, where did you purchase them?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about counterfeit, but I think I can help you with the residue from the packaging.

I had a similar problem with a couple of H&K P7 magazines; they were packaged in bubble wrap that left a blotchy residue on the magazines.

Supplies needed for clean-up (both are available from Amazon):
  1. A can of Ballistol. This is a good cleaner, but smells disgusting while you are working with it. It smells like vomit. Really.

2. Bronze wool. Bronze only. Do not use steel wool, do not use brass wool, either of these can mar the finish. Bronze wool is softer and will not leave scratches.
Apply a small amount of Ballistol (hold your breath, it smells horrible), and rub with a small pad of the bronze wool. Maybe a minute or two to clean each side of the magazine.

I did this with the ugly blotches from the bubble wrop, the P7 magazines now look like new.

By the way, if you need a good source for SIG (and other) magazines, the first place I always check is SIGforum member Greg Cote's website.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are good to go. I have some in my parts bin that are the same way. When I need them I will take apart and clean before use.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Completely normal. I have never seen a Chinese knock-off of a Sig magazine.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Do your mags have the zig-zag dovetail back? Do they have "Made in Italy" stamped on them? Do they have a little German circle logo?

Any one or more of the above, then I'd be confident they are authentic. I don't think Sig mags - at least P228/229 ones - cost enough to be worth counterfeiting.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, normal. I clean the weird sticky stuff of with mineral spirits.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or you could use Eezox, which works as well as Ballistol but doesn't stink.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I don't know anything about counterfeit, but I think I can help you with the residue from the packaging.

I had a similar problem with a couple of H&K P7 magazines; they were packaged in bubble wrap that left a blotchy residue on the magazines.

Supplies needed for clean-up (both are available from Amazon):
  1. A can of Ballistol. This is a good cleaner, but smells disgusting while you are working with it. It smells like vomit. Really.

2. Bronze wool. Bronze only. Do not use steel wool, do not use brass wool, either of these can mar the finish. Bronze wool is softer and will not leave scratches.
Apply a small amount of Ballistol (hold your breath, it smells horrible), and rub with a small pad of the bronze wool. Maybe a minute or two to clean each side of the magazine.

I did this with the ugly blotches from the bubble wrop, the P7 magazines now look like new.

By the way, if you need a good source for SIG (and other) magazines, the first place I always check is SIGforum member Greg Cote's website.

I'm sure that this is effective, but it seems excessive. I'd start with either Goo-gone or an alcohol wipe and work up from there.

I kind of like the smell of Ballistol.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Old partially dried oil on your mags. WD40, lighter fluid or diesel fuel will clean them up nicely.

Many SIG mags come in plain sealed plastic bags (bulk packed).

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of times mags can be ordered in retail packaging or a little cheaper in bulk packaging. I buy bulk packaging whenever possible because I don't care about the plastic box.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I kind of like the smell of Ballistol.[/QUOTE]

Me too. In fact whenever my wife does her nails somehow it becomes time for me to break out the ballistol to clean or wipe down a firearm Wink

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO Ballistol smells like dirty socks or an old gym bag.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spare mags in my M11A1 box were wrapped in those cheap plastic bags too and coated in a grease/oil combination. Almost the consistency of comosline. Had to use kerosene to clean it off.

Your mags are real.

Posts: 65 | Location: NC | Registered: September 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post