SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 carry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 carry? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Make it out of recycled beer cans, too.

I know you're being sarcastic, but this argument always makes me laugh when folks are serious about it.

You use high stress items every single day that are made out of aluminium. It is the most abundant metal on earth and infinitely recyclable.

If it can be used for cylinder heads, engine blocks, valves, HPT blades, rocket parts, tank armor, etc... I'm sure it'll be just fine for the loose tolerances and relatively low stress life of a damn 9mm pistol frame. I fondly remember using a Zeiss CMM to check +/- .0004 tolerances on aluminum products that lived in a much more stressful environment than a P210 frame.

Rest easy my aluminum hating brethren. Those melted beer cans will do a fine job.

Yep. Our aluminum boat dock has held up against the waves better than our neighbor’s galvanized steel dock. High performance motorcycle frames have not suffered as to longevity vs their steel predecessors. That said for those contexts, the aluminum structure can yield more vibration to the user. The inherent flex of the steel frames can absorb such energy. I wonder if the steel pistol frame‘s advantage with recoil might be more related to flex, and not merely due to weight.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I wonder if the steel pistol frame‘s advantage with recoil might be more related to flex, and not merely due to weight.

I don't know, and I don't care. When beer can frames exhibit 50 years of trouble free use, maybe I'll consider one. Except I'll be long since dead. For what remaining time I've got, I'll be happy using my Swiss steel frames to the end. Go ahead and experiment with P210 Carry frames, I'll let you be the test monkey. Or guinea pig. Not being a gambler, I'll play the odds and stick with steel framed and Swiss machined steel. The ones that already have 50 years under their belts.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I’m glad it doesn’t have ambi safeties. I hate ‘em. It literally doubles the odds of the gun being knocked off safe while holstered. And, unlike a 1911, there’s no grip safety. So that’s a good thing. Alloy frame makes sense for a carry piece. The controls, hammer and trigger should be white and it’s literally crying out for some nice walnut stocks.

I get it, and if they made a right side only, left handed safety I'd buy it, but almost no one does that. Can't carry something I can't use left handed. It's frustrating when they ignore 10% of the population. Sig is actually pretty good about making lefty friendly guns lately - P320, P365, the SAO versions of the Classic P-series (esp the Legions), the lowers on the MPX, MCX.

The P210A Carry should at least have the option, because the frame is cut for it under the grip panel (well, at least the P210A Target is). Maybe as a retrofit kit with a new grip panel. I would accept that.

Now, I have a P210A Target and a CZ 1911A1 (GI safety) and some target .22's without ambi safeties because they are for range use only.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
I wonder if the steel pistol frame‘s advantage with recoil might be more related to flex, and not merely due to weight.

I don't know, and I don't care. When beer can frames exhibit 50 years of trouble free use, maybe I'll consider one. Except I'll be long since dead. For what remaining time I've got, I'll be happy using my Swiss steel frames to the end. Go ahead and experiment with P210 Carry frames, I'll let you be the test monkey. Or guinea pig. Not being a gambler, I'll play the odds and stick with steel framed and Swiss machined steel. The ones that already have 50 years under their belts.

Aluminum is one of the superior metals to build megayachts out of. It lasts (as well as steel, and FRP is getting there in size at 164' Westport). I crossed the Gulf of Mexico one night a few years ago in a 1970's 80' aluminum crew boat, getting the crap pounded out of us at 18 mph (15 knots) in 10-12' seas and never once worried about the damn aluminum boat that was 50 years old coming apart.

They have built aluminum framed pistols that have stood the test of time......Colt Commanders......plenty of P series Sigs, a lot of lugers, BHP's...…….I think you can rest assured you'll get at least 30,000 rounds out of a sig 210 with an aluminum frame.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Commercial planes are mostly aluminum, except the hot parts. So are AR's. It's not a strong as steel, but it's weight to strength ratio makes it the material of choice for many applications. And it doesn't rust although it can corrode.

Most of us don't worry about traveling in flying beer cans....

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What’s stronger, a pound of aluminum or a pound of steel?

If you said steel, you’re wrong.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
What’s stronger, a pound of aluminum or a pound of steel?

If you said steel, you’re wrong.

Stating the problem as a weight metric is misleading versus strength of the materials with the same dimensional tolerance. I don’t see barrels being made out of aluminum do you? I mean if you’re so correct with your whiz bang perspective, where are they?

Getting back on point, I agree with the previous posters that when the Carry model does arrive, I’m betting sometime next year regardless of Sig’s claim, that it will be produced in very limited numbers.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Reminiscent more of a Cz than a Sig.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They dropped the Standard? When did this happen?

You can forget about it. They already dropped the Standard, only keeping the Target.

Regarding the Skeleton, it's from the Mastershop in SIG DE and has nothing to do with SIG USA.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 210 Standard is still listed on Sig’s website. Where did the info come out that it was discontinued?

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CS200:
The 210 Standard is still listed on Sig’s website. Where did the info come out that it was discontinued?

It’s not found in the 2020 catalog.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CS200:

As mcs1564 mentioned, the Standard is not in the 2020 catalog (only the Target is) and it also was not on display/range day at SHOT this week along with the Target and Carry.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I think you can rest assured you'll get at least 30,000 rounds out of a sig 210 with an aluminum frame.

Maybe they are making it for you. P210s often go 100,000 rounds at European ranges without failure. One failing at 30,000 would be a disaster to the gun's reputation.

Back to your beer can analogy, if you want to shoot 6 beers, you need to buy a 6 pack. Its because beer is only good for one cycle per can.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the beer analogy.

Reminds me of a wine enthusiast dismissing a beer lover's taste. At the end of the day, both liquids serve merely to provide a relaxing buzz and then are pissed into an inexpensive ceramic toilet (or the neighbor's hedge if more convenient).

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Well, that's unexpected. I don't know that I'd want one, but it's probably a joy to shoot.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
(or the neighbor's hedge if more convenient).

Even if not more convenient, its more pleasurable. Reason enough to walk across the yard to do it.

No, I have no idea what that has to do with jimmy's 30,000 round early death of the beer can crafted P210.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You know what I like about the Carry? The full length dust cover. 4-inch barreled pistol with a full LDC that is non-railed. Just looks very nice.

I won’t be buying one for many reasons, but as pictured, I do think it is a nice-looking pistol. Everything you mentioned above, I agree with. Heck, I even think the smooth G10 grips have an interesting appeal.

SIG probably won’t sell a ton of these because of the price, and since they’re famous for it, they’ll discontinue it after a year or so. And yeah, they’ll probably become collectible. Neat gun, but I can’t imagine this is what a lot of P210 fans actually wanted, and most of that has to do with them introducing new designs and then dropping all support for them in short order.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Here's a question: do the American and German P210s use the same magazines?

I found a pretty good deal on magazines for my German P210 Super Target and bought a bunch. I'm kind of interested in the P210 carry but will be more likely to buy one if I can use the pile of magazines I already have.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Here's a question: do the American and German P210s use the same magazines?

I found a pretty good deal on magazines for my German P210 Super Target and bought a bunch. I'm kind of interested in the P210 carry but will be more likely to buy one if I can use the pile of magazines I already have.

I have the P210-A standard and picked up these magazines from CDNN. They are listed to fit a P210 Legend but are an exact fit to the Standard.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/210...8rd-bl.html?___SID=U

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The mag for the American P210 will work in the German P210. It will also work in the Swiss P210 with the side mag release.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post