SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig releases safety bulletin on P320 pistols in light bearing holsters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig releases safety bulletin on P320 pistols in light bearing holsters Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
https://www.sigsauer.com/blog/...holsters-for-pistols

Safety Bulletin: Light Bearing Holsters for Pistols

NEWINGTON, N.H., (September 7, 2023) – SIG SAUER is reminding consumers about the risks associated with the use of light-bearing holsters, which have been involved in a number of alleged unintentional discharge incidents. Due to the large openings in these holster designs around the trigger (necessary for accommodating the bezels of attached weapon lights), fingers or foreign objects may be able to enter these holsters and contact the trigger. This vulnerability may be exacerbated by the use of a light-bearing holster without a compatible weapon light attached.

Placement of a firearm in a holster does not relieve the user from the requirements of proper trigger discipline, and safe firearms handling practices.

Selection of a proper holster is the responsibility of the user and special care must be taken to ensure a chosen holster complements safe handling practices (including adequate trigger protection) and other philosophy of use considerations. Holster manufacturers routinely publish warnings about the vulnerabilities of light-bearing holsters, including warnings printed directly in the manuals for these products, and stand-alone bulletins. Examples are reproduced below. If you choose to use a light-bearing holster with your firearm, you should review these warnings closely and ensure the additional risks are acceptable given your intended use.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that this is about the P320 any where. Pistols in general.

Posts: 17920 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I didn't see that this is about the P320 any where. Pistols in general.

SIG's legal council probably had their say in not specifically naming the P320 in this safety announcement, but what other gun has been cited by various police agencies as "firing by themselves" lately? There's only one that I'm aware of, and it hails from New Hampshire.

-MG

Posts: 2014 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Honestly, that safety bulletin stands on it's own, regardless of what pistol you happen to be holstering. It doesn't matter whether it hails from New Hampshire, or any other state (or country!) for that matter.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, that safety bulletin stands on it's own, regardless of what pistol you happen to be holstering. It doesn't matter whether it hails from New Hampshire, or any other state (or country!) for that matter.

It does but it’s hard not to see it as a direct legal CYA response to the most recent incident that made all the news.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7695 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it's good advice. The holster must always closely fit the pistol and anything you have hanging off it.

Posts: 17148 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'd also question a department that would allow officers to use a universal holster that clamps to the weapon light instead of a Level 3 Retention Holster designed for the gun itself.

Posts: 4208 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post