SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Da/Sa recommendation for a disabled fella
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Da/Sa recommendation for a disabled fella Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you think he's amenable to coaching, you might also ask him to demonstrate to you how he's trying to rack the slide. A lot of people who struggle with racking a slide are simply trying to do it wrong, by reaching forward, pinching the slide between thumb and forefinger, and trying to pull the slide 100% of the way rearward using those two fingers of that hand only. This is not a recipe for success, especially if they have limited upper body/hand strength.

With the correct technique, keeping the gun in tighter to the torso, with the support hand over the top of the slide pushing rearward while the strong hand simultaneously drives the frame forward, even someone with minimal upper body strength should be able to rack most slides.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Take him to a range where you can rent a couple of revolvers. Don't suggest he consider one, just let him give them a go ~ he might reconsider on his own about moving to a revolver if it suits him.

If he bring up a revolver might be better for his hands, mention that trigger jobs can greatly improve their smoothness.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good advice guys

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think RougeJSK nailed it.
Pushing from both directions instead of pulling the slide back makes it so much easier.
If he lacks the hand strength for that, I'm not sure what else he can do and still be a safe and effective shooter.
Not fair, and sad for someone disabled, but reality.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm 1911. The slide is easy to rack, I think the stock recoil spring is 12lb. Trigger is crisp and it’s an easy gun to shoot well. 9+1 rounds. It’s not light, but there are alloy framed ones out there. Just a suggestion.

The Mrs. has a S&W Shield EZ 9mm, and I must say, it’s a really nice, easy to shoot gun. But if he doesn’t like it, keep searching.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too vote for a 9mm P250. Or a 250 in .380 if you can find one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
One of the forum members mentioned how the CZ line of pistols have frames that are hard to rack. I have to agree, but the funny thing is I have a friend who has arms/hands that are sort of deformed and he has trouble with a lot of my pistols. For some reason he can rock and roll with my old CZ-75.

I am not sure about the current Beretta 92 compacts but I have both the L + M models and they are very easy to rack.

Does your friend like any of the HK line (except the HKP2000sk: Mine is a pain): I always found their slides the easiest of all to rack. After years in the military, sports and LE the wear and tear has caught up with me and every once in a while I am having trouble racking slides.

If he does find a pistol he likes and is comfortable with but has a strong slide, would your friend be open to using a slide assist such as the Handi-Racker- Tool?

Hell of a gun imo. Cheap 15 round mags from gregcote as well

Posts: 3523 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
sigfreund

sigfreund made a good point.

I traded my P250 compact to a friend because it was the only 9mm out of my stock that his wife could rack the slide on.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a revolver simply not an option for him? If so, why not? Trigger pull? Sometimes loading a magazine for a semi auto can prove more difficult for people with weak hands than racking the slide or pulling the DA trigger on a revolver.
An LCR, SP101 or a GP100 are excellent examples to consider.

It's awful he already bought four examples that all failed him.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My BHP is quite easy to rack, also the P210.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, if he can't handle a 12ish pound recoil spring using both hands/arms/shoulders/chest, I would question whether he could handle a 12+ pound DA trigger pull using just one trigger finger.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A revolver is certainly well worth consideration as there are many options available as well as some excellent techniques that can be learned to use them effectively.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What about the S&W M&P Shield 380EZ?

It’s supposed to have one of the easiest-racking slides out there.

I question the idea of this person needing a DA/SA gun, most of them have an incredibly hard trigger pull for that double action first shot, I don’t think they would be able to handle that if they have worries about racking a slide?

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
We’re trying to help your friend, but it sounds like he needs a gun with a 3 lb recoil spring and a 1 lb trigger.

Perhaps he should confer with a good gunsmith to get a custom build of some sorts that he can operate.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I get it, and I appreciate all the recommendations as noted. He’s not a quad in the wheelchair, but I’d say he has the strength of a young teenage female if I had to draw a comparison. He hasn’t always been in the state he’s in and does know how to shoot. I think the biggest problem is that he’s just been spitballing / buying guns without testing them somehow. I’m certain he’s probably not happy with his revolver is due to capacity. I’m definitely going to pass along the 250 and 92f recommendations. Thank y’all once again.

quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
We’re trying to help your friend, but it sounds like he needs a gun with a 3 lb recoil spring and a 1 lb trigger.

Perhaps he should confer with a good gunsmith to get a custom build of some sorts that he can operate.

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order to help working the slide I suggest a 'Handiracker'. With one he can hold the pistol with the handiracker mounted and lean into a wall or a counter to work the slide. I recently bought a Kahr PM45 and found it almost impossible for me to work the slide. This gadget makes it easy.
I also second the suggestion that he cock the hammer, I have a Kimber Micro9 and I have to do that as there's not much slide to grasp.
If he wasn't against a striker gun I would suggest a Walther P99. If you don't decock it it has a very light, long double action type pull.
For just these types of problems, the last two guns I will keep are my Beretta M86 and the ShieldEZ. Hope this helps

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m working on him to look more at striker guns, it would open up his possibilities more. Personally I do question his ability to handle a firearm, especially under stress...but I’m not going to question his ability to protect himself. I can only imagine being in his physical situation.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dry-fly:
I get it, and I appreciate all the recommendations as noted. He’s not a quad in the wheelchair, but I’d say he has the strength of a young teenage female if I had to draw a comparison. He hasn’t always been in the state he’s in and does know how to shoot. I think the biggest problem is that he’s just been spitballing / buying guns without testing them somehow. I’m certain he’s probably not happy with his revolver is due to capacity. I’m definitely going to pass along the 250 and 92f recommendations. Thank y’all once again.

It's very difficult to get exact figures but the best we know is that well over 90% of self defense shootings are under 21 feet and under 4 rounds fired. So yea, 'needing' 20 or more rounds in a magazine 'could' be more want than reality. Of course there's no penalty for having unused rounds available.

I get this information from listening to Tom Gresham, Mark Walters and the many actual experts they have on their shows.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

posted Hide Post
If y'all are anywhere near DFW, you're welcome to come check out a CZ P-07/09, H&K P30 LEM and a Beretta PX4c. If hand strength is an issue, I don't think he'll dig the CZ because of the lack of grip area due to the short slide, but who knows. My arthritic wife prefers the H&K.

A local instructor taught me a press-check technique that might help your friend with racking the slide. When press-checking a DA/SA gun, he recommended cocking the hammer back into SA, press check, then decock. That way you're just pulling back against the recoil spring, instead of the recoil spring and hammer spring. Racking the slide administratively, I see no reason he couldn't adapt the same technique. Of course he'll have to find a suitable alternative for malfunction clearances, like RogueJSK's recommendation above.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ most of the advice that's been posted thus far. If your friend is committed to an auto-loader, then of all the DA/SA guns I've shot &/or owned, the Beretta 92 w/ LTT trigger has been the easiest to rack. If he can afford one, then I recommend one of the 92X Elite LTT models. If that's too expensive, then get a 92 and install the TJIAB.

If he can manage a CZ slide, then a CZ w/ a CGW upgrade kit lightens trigger pull dramatically as well as the slide.

An HK w/ Light LEM trigger may up his alley. LEM has a very long but light DA pull, and each successive SA pull is the same weight as DA. It is a cross between DA/SA and striker trigger. As others have mentioned, it is easier than most to rack also. I don't know why, but LEM developed a sizable following where DAK did not.

A significant drawback to the above recommendations, is that they are all relatively expensive. HK LEM model pistols are hard to find and cost more. Langdon TJIAB and CGW upgrade kits run around $200-300. He could get a Taurus G2C for that money, but he's ruled out strikers.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post