SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    While We Love Our Glocks, Who Likes the Stock Sights?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
While We Love Our Glocks, Who Likes the Stock Sights? Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I like the stock sight picture. I however change them out for the Glock factory metal sights just because I can. I do this as a standard when I get a new Glock.

I always make these changes to every Glock I get to keep them all the same.

Metal sights

Smooth face trigger

Frame butt plug

Factory -minus connector

Pierce mag bases with the finger ledge. Some are plus bases and some add no extra rds.


I did however go all in on my G43x though. It actually comes with the connector marked -minus which is different then the other -minus connector for the larger guns so I went with the Ghost brand connector to get it a few lbs lighter then stock.

Added the Gen II Pyramid trigger, Double Diamond extended slide stop, steel pins, Ameriglo night sights, shield arms metal mag release, shield 15rd mag's and the LaserMax guide rod laser.
 
Posts: 18744 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
The stock GLOCK sights are ok, I'm fairly neutral on them. When I purchase a GLOCK, I try to go for the option of night sights (GLOCK factory or the other ones they use with the orange front dot, Ameriglo?). If I end up with the plastic factory sights, I swap them out about 50% of the time. Just depends on funds, my mood and the intention of the pistol.
 
Posts: 1760 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The stock sights are fine. Their reputation for fragility is overblown.
 
Posts: 114933 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^^I agree. I never had any issues with the plastic getting too chewed up. I just have a preference for steel.

On a somewhat related note, my main dislike of Glock sights isn't even the material so much as the mode of attachment; I wish the front sight was also dovetailed. Once again though, no issues, just a personal preference.
 
Posts: 880 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If a gun is primarily marketed as defensive carry, then steel tritium nights sights should be standard from the manufacturer. Evidently Glock does not understand this.

I ditch the plastic POS sites ASAP.

I was able to order a couple of Glocks from the factory with steel night sights, however the vast majority have been replaced by Ameriglo.


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4549 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I traditionally change sights on my glocks when I got them if they didn’t already come with night sights.
Then I got a “ free” glock ( prize in a match) and left the plastics on there. I have grown to like them actually.

If you have night sights try something in the dark- throw a flashlight on and go to aim - you will most likely notice the flashlight overpowers the night sights and you get a simple black sight picture ( for those dinosaurs like me still using irons) with the plastic white dot sight the dot is still visible with the flashlight on better than night sights,
 
Posts: 3849 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In 1993, I paid 410.00 for my first Glock.

Adjusted for inflation, that 410 dollars is 936.00 today. How much are new G19s going for today?

How does Glock keep the price down? How much would steel sights add to the price of a Glock?

We're fortunate to have these guys making reliable pistols.

 
Posts: 114933 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am always a little shocked at how expensive many guns were "back in the day" so to speak. Folks always like to say I could get an XXXXX for 200 bucks back in XXXX but they never take into account that 200 bucks is far more in todays money then you could buy the product for today.

Before I even read the whole post above my first thought was DAMN that's an expensive Glock. Big Grin


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8783 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I at least swap them out for factory steel sights but usually upgrade to ameriglo or trijicons. I’ve seen the plastic rear sight pop off on one handed emergency rack drills a few times and I’ve seen plastic front sights worn down to a nub.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I traditionally change sights on my glocks when I got them if they didn’t already come with night sights.
Then I got a “ free” glock ( prize in a match) and left the plastics on there. I have grown to like them actually.
If you have night sights try something in the dark- throw a flashlight on and go to aim - you will most likely notice the flashlight overpowers the night sights and you get a simple black sight picture ( for those dinosaurs like me still using irons) with the plastic white dot sight the dot is still visible with the flashlight on better than night sights,

Or, If you are in enough ambient light, say my living room - which is definitely lit up by numerous lights from chargers, various bug catchers, air filters, etc. - leaving the light OFF on my WML and having night sights to aim at an intruder is where tritium sights shine. (no pun intended)

There’s only 2 people in my house and the other one is in the same bed I sleep in. If she’s there, anyone else DOES NOT BELONG IN MY HOME!
There are no other keys handed out to anyone who might have come over to do a “welfare check”.
If they are in my home, they broke in.
Having my WML on and leaving me with black on black sight picture is just fine with me.


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4549 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that argument against night sights doesn't really hold water.

#1 most night sights these days have a large white/green/yellow/orange/whatever dot outline on the front sight tritium vial, so even if the tritium dot itself isn't visibly glowing because it's being overpowered by light, you still have just as large (or larger) of a front sight dot as the factory Glock white dot.

#2 even if that weren't the case an all black sight picture is fine, especially if contrasted against a bright light.


But I will say that if one were forced to choose, a light is more important than night sights, as a light allows you to both identify a target and use your sights in the dark, while night sights only do the latter. But both (or nowadays an illuminated optic and a light) is better.
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My favorite sights are Heinie Straight 8 night sights. I shot them on my IDPA competition 1911s, have a set on a P220, and multiple sets on Glock 17s, 19s, and a 34. It’s not that I think the stock sights couldn’t do the job it’s just that I prefer other sights.


_________________________
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last” - Winston Churchil
 
Posts: 3380 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I don't really have very strong feelings one way or another on stock Glock sights. but I do swap them for AmeriGLO CAP sights, which I like quite a bit.


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9558 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a gun is primarily marketed as defensive carry, then steel tritium nights sights should be standard from the manufacturer. Evidently Glock does not understand this.

And there would be somebody - or multiple somebodies - who wouldn't like those, and bitch about it.
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
If a gun is primarily marketed as defensive carry, then steel tritium nights sights should be standard from the manufacturer. Evidently Glock does not understand this.

And there would be somebody - or multiple somebodies - who wouldn't like those, and bitch about it.


Yep. That is part of the beauty of buying Glocks. I know I'm going to want to change the sights right up front, so I get to pick exactly what I want from a plethora of options. I also know I'm not going to break anything or even have to expect much effort to get the factory sights off, which is not always the case with steel sights.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
 
Posts: 12031 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, that argument against night sights doesn't really hold water.

#1 most night sights these days have a large white/green/yellow/orange/whatever dot outline on the front sight tritium vial, so even if the tritium dot itself isn't visibly glowing because it's being overpowered by light, you still have just as large (or larger) of a front sight dot as the factory Glock white dot.

#2 even if that weren't the case an all black sight picture is fine, especially if contrasted against a bright light.


But I will say that if one were forced to choose, a light is more important than night sights, as a light allows you to both identify a target and use your sights in the dark, while night sights only do the latter. But both (or nowadays an illuminated optic and a light) is better.


I guess my point is, buying a plastic ball in bucket sight equipped gun doesn’t mean you need to immediately run out and get night sights as the advantage isn’t all that great if any.
 
Posts: 3849 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Junior Member
posted Hide Post
I like the sights, its the rest of the gun that I don't like
 
Posts: 1 | Registered: July 12, 2025Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saml45:
I like the sights, its the rest of the gun that I don't like


What a nice first post. Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 18744 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The stock sights are okay for the range for me.

But for carry, I like the Trij HD with the thinner front blade and the wider U notch in the rear. I think I can get a reliable sight picture faster with this combo given my aging eyes.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    While We Love Our Glocks, Who Likes the Stock Sights?

© SIGforum 2026