SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is the Classic 229?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Classic 229? Login/Join 
posted
Is the below pistol suppose to be a modern "FrankVersion" of the classic 228 or is it another variation to sell multiple flavor ice cream?

I saw it on Grab A Gun and it caught my interest since my 226 MK25 and M11-A1 want me to adopt more SIG's.

FAMILY:P229 Series
MODEL:P229 Classic Carry
TYPE:Semi-Auto Pistol
ACTIONBig Grinouble / Single Action
FINISH:Nitron
STOCK/FRAME:Alloy Frame
STOCK/GRIPS:Matching G10 Grips
WEIGHT:32 oz
CALIBER/GAUGE:9mm
CAPACITY:13 1
# OF MAGS:3
MAGAZINE DESC:13 rd.
BARREL:3.9"
OVERALL LENGTH:7.1"
SIGHTS:SIGLITE® Night Sights
SAFETY:Frame Mounted Decocker
ADDL INFO:Short Reset Trigger
ADDL INFO:Sig Logo Engraved On Top Slide
ADDL INFO:Non Rail Frame
EXCLUSIVE:TALO EXCLUSIVE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Looks like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqPRWvWCug

Seems to be a railless, tailless 229 with an Elite slide and that awful SIG logo on the slide. The G10's are nice, though.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's just the old short extractor P229 with pimp decorations.
Nothing to do with the P228, except they share the same mag..

Q

Posts: 26420 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Do the 15 rounds mags work this 229?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:

Do the 15 rounds mags work this 229?

If you're talking about the 229-1 (E2) mag, no.
Any other 9mm 15-rounders will.

Q

Posts: 26420 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo has this for $599 with free shipping for the time being (https://www.smga.com/p-130492-sig-sauer-p229-classic-carry-9mm-legacy.aspx). Seems a legit seller from my crude search. I definitely didn't need this, but the deal was too good to pass up so I just placed my order. Night sights, 3x mags (albeit 13 rounders), old school no rail slide, sweet grips, elite slide, short extractor, SRT ... what's not to like for $599 shipped? I can get over the unsightly stamp at the top for that price.

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason.B:
Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo has this for $599 with free shipping for the time being (https://www.smga.com/p-130492-sig-sauer-p229-classic-carry-9mm-legacy.aspx). Seems a legit seller from my crude search. I definitely didn't need this, but the deal was too good to pass up so I just placed my order. Night sights, 3x mags (albeit 13 rounders), old school no rail slide, sweet grips, elite slide, short extractor, SRT ... what's not to like for $599 shipped? I can get over the unsightly stamp at the top for that price.

That is a great deal. I am glad that you got one. I just checked their website and it is not listed. For that price I imagine that it went fast. Happy shooting.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is a great deal. I am glad that you got one. I just checked their website and it is not listed. For that price I imagine that it went fast. Happy shooting.

The link is right there in his post. It's there and still in stock.

Q

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sadly one does get used to that wretched tramp stamp. To think that I used to have standards. But the darn thing shoots so frickin' well that forgiveness becomes the norm.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Might want to keep an eye out for a deal on a 40 S&W conversion kit. Then you can go 40/357 if you are inclined.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The link is right there in his post. It's there and still in stock.

Thanks Oriental Redneck I need to read slower

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.:
Might want to keep an eye out for a deal on a 40 S&W conversion kit. Then you can go 40/357 if you are inclined.

Not with this one. It uses the old 'classic' narrow width magwell frame, at least mine does.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.:

Not with this one. It uses the old 'classic' narrow width magwell frame, at least mine does.

OK, makes sense, but curious since Sig site shows kits for both 229 and 229-1, albeit the 229-1 is for going 9mm.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
From what I recall, the 229 was specifically designed for the 40S&W. it was sized similar to the 228, but it has always had the stainless slide.

I have one and love it, but I'm not familiar with the redesign they did a few years ago. I'm not too familiar with the old 9mm factory version other than there were a few ways people converted the 40/357, some better than others.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
From what I recall, the 229 was specifically designed for the 40S&W. it was sized similar to the 228, but it has always had the stainless slide.

I have one and love it, but I'm not familiar with the redesign they did a few years ago. I'm not too familiar with the old 9mm factory version other than there were a few ways people converted the 40/357, some better than others.

I just purchased a Barstool 9mm barrel for my 229, a 1998 version in 40/357. Works fine but I would not trust it to carry in 9mm. However I would not hesitate to carry my 224, a 2013 version in 40/357 with its Barsto custom fit 9 mm barrel.