SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 Legion Slide Failure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 Legion Slide Failure Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lperagallo1:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Sooo, the cracks in the Slide originate at the Muzzle End, or at the front of the Barrel Hood/Ejection Port? Do the cracks propagate horizontally, or towards the Lightning Cuts in the top of the Slide?

Pics would be REALLY helpful... Wink

Barrel Hood/Ejection Port.

I might have missed it in the thread though I scanned it through. Are you using stock recoil springs. I know you said it was bone stock, so I assume the answer is yes.

Just wondering due to the location of the damage. Please let us know what SIG says if you choose to go the warranty route. It's worth a try.

It's also interesting to me, given the location of the damage, that SIG specifically says that using third party custom cut slides voids the warranty. You can, apparently, only use SIG custom cut slides to retain your warranty. They expressly state that on the site.

I know the OP DID NOT have a custom cut slide. My point is that the diagnosis that the lightening cuts might have been the reason for the damage seems acknowledged even by SIG. That is, if you don't do them right, you are asking for trouble.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I reckon Sig will be in touch with you shortly...

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Issues with the barrel lug?

As noted above, clearly the failure is concentrated at lines originating at stress risers.

Major match? Minor load.

You said there was no barrel damage; you've had it out and separated from the slide for an inspection? How were the lugs? What other marks are visible on the barrel, and chamber exterior?

The stovepipe is normally an underpowered round.

The stovepipe could also have been caused by the problem that was developing (most likely was).

The stovepipe was caused by the failure. It happened multiple times as I was trying to shoot the stage. Didn't realize there was a failure until it happened a bunch of times. I'd clear the stovepipe and it would load a round, I'd fire and got another stovepipe. I originally thought the mag went bad, so I kept going. I actually have a video of the whole thing until I was stopped.

posted Hide Post
This exact same thing just happened to me at an USPSA match. Luckily I had a backup gun, but my match was done on the first stage due to everything the OP described. I called Sig during the lunch break and they emailed me a shipping label and gave me a RMA number. 3 weeks warranty fix was the guesstimate. Good thing I have 2 back up pistols since nationals is soon, but this was disappointing and kills confidence/trust.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
This exact same thing just happened to me at an USPSA match. Luckily I had a backup gun, but my match was done on the first stage due to everything the OP described. I called Sig during the lunch break and they emailed me a shipping label and gave me a RMA number. 3 weeks warranty fix was the guesstimate. Good thing I have 2 back up pistols since nationals is soon, but this was disappointing and kills confidence/trust.

How many rounds do you think you’ve shot in this gun ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Meh, this stuff happens when you actually shoot a gun.

This is a department-owned S&W M&P 40 from work:

The gun still functioned, but was having failures to eject. It had around 5,000 rounds through it and was on its second recoil spring. 95% of the rounds shot through it were Federal American Eagle or Winchester white-box 180gr FMJ with the other 5% being Federal Hydra-Shok and HST duty ammo.

The gun went back to S&W and they sent it back with a new slide. It's been in service ever since.

Just call SIG and have them make it right.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post