SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Long slide/short grips??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long slide/short grips?? Login/Join 
posted
Have a standard 365 as my edc in hot weather.
Also grabbed a glock 45 (long frame/19 slide)

Starting to question the 45 combo. If I have the 17 grip, why not have the extra inch of barrel?

Replacing my gen 5 19 mos with a shadow systems version. They have a 17 barrel/19 grip gun as well.

So has anyone put a 365XL slide assembly on a 10rd grip frame?
Balance? Thinking both the 365 and glock will be muzzle heavy? A bad thing?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I put a 365XL slide on an P365 frame thinking I’d love it but the balance was strange. I never warmed up to it despite trying multiple times and adding multiple mag extensions. I really like the P365, the P365XL and the P365X but the L just didn’t do it for me. I ended up trading the XL since I’d bought it just you make the L and so it no longer served any purpose.

I love long slide Glocks and 1911’s, even the CCO 1911, so I thought I’d love a 365XL.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
There is a reason why all of the “Carry” style guns are 17 round magazine and 19 slide length. And that’s the recoil impulse it produces.

I’ve shot a couple of the style guns you mention. They are a specialty, boutique item only for those folks who want the shorter grip.

From a performance standpoint, there’s not a golden goose with them. Might as well carry a 17 if that’s what you’re interested in.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Before my P320, I was set on a XD-S4.0.
My brother in law had a standard XD-S.

Now I have a P320C, and still want to pick up a SC grip/mag & try it with a C slide.

I always thought the opposite of what's offered made more sense from a carry perspective. Longer slide with a shorter grip, and carry a larger capacity reload.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak of the Sig or Glock

however I sometimes carry a Colt Combat Commander,
standard 1911 frame, 4" or so barrel/slide, (vs standard 5")

I can say,, having carried both, that one inch of barrel makes an easier carrying pistol,
(easier in comfort and carry size/holster etc)
performance is not an issue, at the distances I would ever use it at, and I can shoot both the Commander and Standard gun just as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Short grips are of course easier to conceal under a garment. The longer slide, if in an OWB holster, becomes harder to conceal, however, the longer slide in an IWB holster the length doesn't matter in terms of concealment. On the other hand, the longer slide takes that fraction of a second longer to clear the holster while offering little advantage in sight radius in close-range self defense settings. One thing people don't consider in these "carry" packages of full-length grip/short slide is that the shorter slide becomes more comfortable for someone like a cop who's seated in a cruiser for long periods of time. The shorter slide, that half to one inch of difference in length seems to make a huge difference in comfort.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're wearing a holster on your hip and seated, a shorter barrel makes sense. A full size grip gives the most controllability. The Glock frames in the full size have a different contour than the smaller sizes, too.

One of my favorite 1911 configurations is the CCO ("concealed carry, Officer") setup: an officer size frame with a commander length slide. I have them from a number of different manufacturers.

I have an XDS .45 with a 4" barrel; it's got a short frame and longer slide. I also have the XDS in the 3" and it makes a lot more sense with the shorter barrel and slide. The Longer slide on the shorter grip frame is awkward.

The P365 is ideal for playing mix-and-match. You can certainly put a P365 slide on a P365XL frame, or do it the other way around. Of the two, the longer frame makes a lot more sense than than the short frame with a long slide. A full grip with full control is far more practical than another three quarter inch of barrel.

I have the G43 as a carry pistol, which I carried for a few years in the pocket before it was replaced with the P365. I also have the G43X and G48. Slightly higher capacity, but the slides all interchange. For giggles, I just slipped the G48 slide onto the G43 frame. It fits (though it won't feed rounds off the G43 mag). It just looks, and feels ridiculous, and doesn't make much sense.

The G26 is an outstanding subcompact pistol. As the discussion is about a G19 slide on a G17 frame, and because I'm in the giggling mood, I grabbed a G26 out of the safe and slapped a G19 slide on it. Now, short frame, longer slide. Also ridiculous. Especially as the dust cover doesn't cover the recoil spring. One could cut down a G19 frame and use the G19 slide...which to me feels a bit like having two good legs and putting one in a cast, but if it floats your boat, why not. There may be some concealed cases where it might benefit, but in that case, why not simply carry the G26 (or a G43?)

In the long-short mix and match categories, my most recent purchase was a CZ Bull Compact; it has the full grip and a compact slide. The balance and size, in my opinion, is perfect. Shorter slide, longer frame, but very controllable, very shootable, full capacity, quite reliable, uber accurate, tight as a drum but still feeds, and it's got a bit of steel weight to it which is nice when shooting, less when carrying, but still light enough to carry comfortably in a good holster. I'd rather have the barrel shortened a bit, than the frame.

The one exception for me, presently, is the P365, which has a short frame and a short barrel, and it fits perfectly in my pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. I use a little bit of a finger rest on the 10 round magazine, or a 12 round magazine, for carry, and let the extra 15 round mag wait until it's needed. I don't believe I'll suffer any accuracy loss of trouble with shot placement, over an XL slide, and I don't think the XL slide would incresae reliability, accuracy, or any other metric, though it would make pocket carry more uncomfortable, and more visible.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G45 is just about perfect. I run a red dot and more barrel length is nothing but length and mass in the way for no benefit. I don't mind a 19 or a 17 and have carried both for long periods before the 45, but its better in every way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The CCO was mentioned earlier in this thread. Short grip and intermediate commander length barrel / slide.

I had handled and shot several Officer's size 1911s and found them all wanting in terms of the grip...not enough support for my pinky finger. Bear in mind that I take 8.5 size (medium) gloves and have a trigger finger 1/4" shorter on my shooting hand than my other so short or shorter-medium length 1911 triggers are necessary for me.

An example was a Brolin P45C compact carry. Couldn't tolerate the Officer's frame's grip so I swapped it out for a government size from a P45T before doing a lot of customizing to make it a reliable weapon.

But after urging by Ryan Payne aka sarge of The Finer Grain who also had issues with Officer's size frames until he tried the Dan Wesson CCO, I too found it doable. Not sure just what the difference is but damned if it doesn't fit well enough. So much so that it displaced my commander sized 1911 as my CCW. The shorter grip aids in concealment and the 4.25" barrel/slide is just fine for performance.

And, as an aside, here's my P238 with the extended magazine and its finger rest. Much much more comfortable and controllable than the flush fitting stock magazine with my little finger dangling in space. And still very concealable!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of this combo and enjoy it when I can find it. For me the pro/cons are:

Long slide / Short grip- Longer sight radius, a touch more velocity which can get some ammo to perform a bit better. I am curious to consider the possibility of the slightly longer cycle time adding potential reliability but that's far from a hard fact.

Short slide / Long grip- Ammo capacity and a better grip for the big-handed, Harder to hide IMO. The sight radius in the age of dots is kind of meaningless. If you plan to make a Roland the shorter slide keeps you from having a giant gun and keeps you at for example G17 size with a 45.

I have a 19 I chopped to a 26 grip and it is a great little gun. I also recently chose to retry the P365 series and went with an XL. I picked up a short grip though I can easily hide a bigger gun. The short grip is a bit nicer for pocket carry but I normally run the 12s so the XL grip will probably be my main. If it works for you then go for it.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have generally shot full-length-gripped guns measurably better. This was why I generally carried a G17, rather than a G19, during personal time, when a G17 was my duty pistol. The G19 was, for me, more of a special-occasion pistol, such as when I wanted to carry a pistols inside a Safepacker, for example, which was not quite large enough* to accommodate a G17 grip. When my G19 pistols’ recoil started vexing the arthritis in my right thumb, hand, and wrist, in 2017, I took s closer look, and found that the key was that if the “heel” of the grip frame reached all the way to the “heel bone” of my hand, the gun remained shoot-able, in my right hand. I have relatively long hands, so, the G19’s grip is too short. A G17’s grip is sufficiently long.

Soon, I had sold my Gen4 G26, bought a G19x, added a couple of more G17 pistols, and, then, gradually traded-away three Gen4 G19 pistols. After a while, I missed my G26, as there are niches that it fills quite well, so, bought a Gen3 G26, which i will only shoot with my still-healthier left hand. A nice bonus is that this G26 has the best out-of-the-box trigger, of any new Glock I have ever bought.

Thinking back, into my shooting in the past, I always shot square-butt-gripped revolvers better than their rounded-butt cousins, within the same frame size, and I have shot full-height 1911 pistols better than the Officers’ ACP-sized 1911 pistols.

Some may argue that I was shooting better, due to the longer sight radius, but, there was an equalizer, in the form of the Ruger GP100, which allows using rounded or square grips, on the same frame. I could not shoot as well with the rounded grip, as with the squared grip. This was an apples-to-apples comparison.

*Safepackers are made in larger sizes, for larger weapons.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the actual utility of a full-length/height grip mated to a compact barrel/slide, well, a shorter upper unit clears leather (or Kydex) quicker. This is especially important when wearing the holster in a high position, and becomes all the more noticeable as one’s shoulder ages, or otherwise develops an affliction that affects range-of-motion. (At age 60, I am starting to really feel this.)

There is nothing new about shortening the barrel/slide, while retaining a full-height weapon, in the grip dimension. The Colt Commander is an early example. Plenty of 1911 pistols, other than Colt, have been built with uppers a bit shorter, designed around 4” barrels.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post