SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger GP-100 7 shot : still problematic?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger GP-100 7 shot : still problematic? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I saw a nice new Talo 2.5" 7 shot GP-100 today, and I'm really tempted to go pick it up. I'm wondering if Ruger has solved the case binding issue when loading certain ammo into the cylinder? Anyone know?

Also, on this particular gun, there was hardly any barrel cylinder gap, which concerns me a bit, but I'm sure Ruger would take care of it if it became a problem.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order to resolve the rim binding problem Ruger would need to increase the diameter of the cylinder and change the frame to accommodate it, or have SAAMI change the specs for max rim dia.
There simply isn't enough room.

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I have been under the understanding that Ruger did in fact increase the spacing of the charge holes to solve the binding problem. I do not know if this was accomplished with a slightly larger cylinder or by pushing the hole placement out from center of the cylinder.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I did some reading on this subject a while ago, on YouTube and I think one of the Ruger forums. The general idea was that the GP-100 7 shot versions with problems carried a 578-xxxxx serial number. The redesigned versions carried a 579-xxxxx serial number. The redesigned versions are supposed to function properly. The 578 correlates to 2018 production. The 579 correlates to 2019 production.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I did some reading on this subject a while ago, on YouTube and I think one of the Ruger forums. The general idea was that the GP-100 7 shot versions with problems carried a 578-xxxxx serial number. The redesigned versions carried a 579-xxxxx serial number. The redesigned versions are supposed to function properly. The 578 correlates to 2018 production. The 579 correlates to 2019 production.

This is my understanding as well.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 233 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post