SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 books Login/Join 
posted
So I bought a 1911 from the CMP and I admittedly know nothing about them, what books are recommended for a first time 1911 owner ? I’ve heard Poyer and Kulek are 2 of the go to volumes but am open to anything. Yes I’ll post pics once I’m not traveling .....

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an earlier version of this book and highly recommend it.
https://www.amazon.com/45-Auto...lBullets_feature_div

Posts: 245 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4980 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not knowing your familiarity with firearms or your detailed level of interest makes recommending a specific book a bit difficult. The Kuhnhausen book is fantastic if your interested in every specific detail about the 1911 from a gunsmithing perspective. However, be aware that all his books are compilations of his and some of his students’ notes. Thus, it can make for some very boring reading. If you’re interested in a general introduction to the 1911 from a user’s perspective I would recommend one of the military field manuals as a starting point on the pistol. They are an easy read and full of useful information.

https://www.amazon.com/Automat...id=1630109419&sr=8-3

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two recommendations: The Shooter’s Guide to the 1911 Pattern Pistol, by Stephen A. Camp. Order on line at hipowersandhandguns.com; and The Gun Digest Book of The 1911, Vol 1, by Patrick Sweeney. Order online at Gun Digest or perhaps Amazon. Camp, who passed away a little over 10 years ago, is in my opinion the best gun writer of all time, and his profession was police officer. Sweeney is a pretty good writer as well. While you’re at hipowersandhandguns.com, orderThe Shooter’s Guide to the Browning Hi Power. Great book, and you will end up buying one of those as well. Welcome to the shooting sports.

Posts: 76 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for historical info best just post pictures from multiple angles and please include serial number! And we can do some research and post back. Many of the best reference books on 1911’s ( clawson’s so called first edition big book for example) are currently about as valuable as the gun itself.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
I have an earlier version of this book and highly recommend it.
https://www.amazon.com/45-Auto...lBullets_feature_div

I'll also vouch for this Jerry Kuhnhausen manual. Had mine for decades and it has always been my 1911 go-to manual. Have done a lot of work on my 1911's over the decades.

Never checked into newer 1911 manuals, since I never had any need for info beyond this gem.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Many of the best reference books on 1911’s ( clawson’s so called first edition big book for example) are currently about as valuable as the gun itself.

Yep. Same is true for a number of other out of print milsurp reference books. Funny to think that my milsurp reference library is nearly as valuable as my milsurp firearm collection. Big Grin

One of the more reasonably priced options for a good general historical 1911 reference is the first 2 volumes of the US Military Automatic Pistols trilogy by Edward Scott Meadows. Volume 1 covers the design, predecessor models, adoption, and initial fielding of the M1911, and can be found for $100-$200. Volume 2 covers post-WW1 through WW2 1911 updates and production, and can be found for the same or even a little less. (Volume 3 then primarily covers other post-WW2 through 1980s US Army autos like the S&W 52, M15, and Beretta M9.)

Clawson's 1911 tomes are undoubtedly the best, but as noted, they are exceedingly expensive nowadays. (Up to $2k apiece for copies.)

Poyer's 1911 book is the cheapest and most widely available, but is also less in-depth and less accurate than these aforementioned 1911 historical reference books.

And there a few different historical reference books with a more narrow focus on just one aspect of 1911 history, like on just Colt 1911 production records, or just competition 1911s, or just commercial 1911s, or the like. Not really what you'd want for a general 1911 reference book to start on.

Then there are various other options that primarily focus on 1911 topics other than history, like the Kuhnhauser manual that focuses on the mechanics of the 1911 and 1911 gunsmithing/repair, or Kulek's books that focus mainly on care/feeding/operation and building/gunsmithing.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post