SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The P239 - Why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The P239 - Why? Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I bought a P239 about 16 years ago, because I knew that I could readily convert the .357 Sig version (that I found used) to either .40 S&W or 9mm quite easily. My department didn't authorize the .357, but I was within policy carrying this in the other two calibers. The .40 shot well with only a barrel change, but when I swapped out the OEM barrel for one in 9mm and used the appropriate recoil spring, it shot more accurately and softer than with either of the other calibers as well as my previously owned P225/P6 pistols!

At the time, some states prohibited the importation of "high capacity" magazines, and though my LEOSA privileges made carrying in those areas problematic, even with the higher capacity 9mm magazines capacity wasn't an issue. We didn't have the "Micro 9mm" pistols yet, and looked at this as a comfortable and effective option.

It should also be noted that the Sig P225 was (according to some experts) not designed for JHP ammunition and reliability could be questionable with some bullet designs or using +P ammunition. With a steel slide 9mm P239 (originally purchased in .40 S&W or .357 Sig), the hottest 9mm rounds were softies to shoot. BTW: I tried using the 9mm ammo with .40 S&W and .357 Sig magazines, as well as those designed for 9mm P239s. In all cases, my particular pistol fed, fired, and ejected the defensive rounds I elected to utilize. I don't know what others experience with their P239s, but I'd suggest running a lot of 9mm rounds out of their magazines, if they'd like the option I chose.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10223 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Factory grips arrived today...very generous gesture from Bulldog7279! I put it on and walked the dog 4 miles, and they are definitely an improvement over the Hogue rubbers. They don't grab my skin or my shirt while I'm walking, and the gun does feel a little thinner. The front strap is definitely very square, but all in all it fits my hand better than expected. Hopefully I can get out and shoot it later this week.

I put a piece of finely trimmed skateboard tape UNDER the grips for the front strap.
Been like that for years and really improves the hang on for .357 sig double taps
Reliable and accurate
I'm a fan

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1327 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recently I sold the P239 because I bought a better option for me in the P220 Compact SAS.

Now I could get excited about that! I always thought the SAS treatment was kind of marketing fluff until I got my 9mm P229 SAS earlier this year. That melt job is the real deal and makes a significant difference to how the gun handles and carries. And I love the P245/P220 compact...an SAS version would be sweet.

Posts: 8812 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Recently I sold the P239 because I bought a better option for me in the P220 Compact SAS.

Now I could get excited about that! I always thought the SAS treatment was kind of marketing fluff until I got my 9mm P229 SAS earlier this year. That melt job is the real deal and makes a significant difference to how the gun handles and carries. And I love the P245/P220 compact...an SAS version would be sweet.

I kinda liked these two versions of the P245 and P220 Compact. Not SAS versions, but they work well if you can find them.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10223 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with you 92, I have three 239s (two in 357), but my 9 with the sas treatment is my favorite by far.

Posts: 1651 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's one of those pistols you ether like or dont, i have a 226's & 229's so I'm good on sigs, i have numerous Glocks at my disposal, but my everyday carry is a 239-40, with Hogue Chain Links it's solid in my hand, with a +1 mag extension i have 9 in the pistol and an extra 8 in stand by, and being two tone with the green grips it just looks good.

Posts: 100 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
The P239 in 9mm is too big, too heavy, and has a very limited capacity. I've heard all the arguments, but I don't agree with any of them. I have no trouble carrying the 239 in a IWB holster, it doesn't print and conceals very well. So not to big. It is heavier than the more recent small 9mm guns, but the weight makes it very soft shooting and much faster to get back on target for additional shots. The capacity is the same as a 1911 (many now in 9mm) and when I carry two extra mags I feel that I have more than enough for most situations. Will that be enough rounds to fight off a mob, no it won't, but a 30 round AR with 5 extra mags is really hard to conceal carry. Most of the new 9mm "super" guns are striker fired and I will not have one of those (personal decision). I love my 239 and carry it most of the time, and shoot it better than any other gun I have.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1706 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kinda liked these two versions of the P245 and P220 Compact. Not SAS versions, but they work well if you can find them.

Those are some pretty special examples, especially that custom shop P245! Mine are more basic, but I still really like them:

quote:
Most of the new 9mm "super" guns are striker fired and I will not have one of those (personal decision). I love my 239 and carry it most of the time, and shoot it better than any other gun I have.

I haven't exactly sworn off strikers, but they don't endear themselves to me like a nice metal-framed DA/SA pistol. I also like the added safety of the exposed hammer and "intentional" DA trigger pull.

Posts: 8812 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm 239 and sold it thinking my two tone 239 in 40 cal (with the .357 barrel would be enough). Sort of missed that 9mm version so after browsing through this thread I picked this one up off Gun Broker (yea, I’m the one who paid the big bucks for it).

(Gun Broker photo/haven’t got the gun yet)

I will post again after I get the gun next week. The vendor for this gun was really great (Black Dog Guns, Rutland Vermont).

Trooper Joe

Posts: 441 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My “new to me” 9mm SAS, 249 two-tone , should go well with my .357 239.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 441 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I actually went out and looked up 9mm SAS models on gunbroker and saw that one. Wish I could find one for what I paid for this .40!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice score. I actually went out and looked up 9mm SAS models on gunbroker and saw that one. Wish I could find one for what I paid for this .40!

I didn’t feel too bad about the price. I sold my non SAS, blued, 9mm, P239, over 5 years ago, to a large gun shop in Michigan, for $750. This one for $895 plus tax and shipping seemed like a great deal. I was actually surprised that I won the bidding.

I already got some extra new MecGar magazines coming. I used to have a 10 roundSig magazine that I sold. Never really cared for that 10 round and at the prices listed of over $100, I do not want another one. Will use a Galloway +1 adaptor on one of my stock mags for a 9 round spare.

Trooper Joe

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve always thought the 239 in 9mm was just an extremely accurate gun. The 229 fits my hand better and was my carry gun for years. I always hated that I shot the 239 better. It’s mostly been carried by my wife. They feel different enough to me. The P365 just changed everything.

Posts: 17931 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just posted this about the new to me P239, SAS I just picked up.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9410076805

Trooper Joe