SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Luger P-08...jump in or stay out?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luger P-08...jump in or stay out? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
A couple of things about the 70s era Mausers. They have the grip safety as found on some early Lugers. Also, these are made with cast frames in 7.62 Luger or 9mm. Barrel lengths are either 4" or 6" (not sure if they made an 8" Artillery version). Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Enjoy!

You must be thinking of the Erma Lugers with cast frames. The Original Mauser marked guns used forged frames.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your decision to purchase a 70s post war Mauser Luger is a good one. They have modern metal, but are not identical to the original Lugers. I own and shoot a 70s Mauser Luger in 9mm with a 6" bbl. It is a blast to shoot, but the grips are more blocky then the original Luger's grips, and some folks have an issue with it....I did. I sent my grips off and had them re-contoured, and am much happier now. Let us know when you acquire one, and the newer, the better.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stay out. you'll be fine.

Posts: 10 | Location: Colorado. | Registered: November 08, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity I started googling around for pricing on post-war examples. Not that I'm in the market for one, but I didn't realized just how spendy some of these continuation clones can be.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As modern manufacturing methods get better and better, and the market for recreational shooting gets ever larger, there will come a day when it's again profitable to make them. Might have some MIM parts, but I'll be game.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If I was going to buy a Luger, I'd get the most collectable gun I could afford, and treat it like a collectable. Maybe put a mag through it, if only rarely. This way you can say you have it, and you get the benefit of it appreciating in value (even if you never sell it)

If you want a gun to shoot, buy something of modern design and manufacture. It will be a better shooter, and you won't worry about breaking it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
If I was going to buy a Luger, I'd get the most collectable gun I could afford, and treat it like a collectable. Maybe put a mag through it, if only rarely. This way you can say you have it, and you get the benefit of it appreciating in value (even if you never sell it)

If you want a gun to shoot, buy something of modern design and manufacture. It will be a better shooter, and you won't worry about breaking it.

I would advise not shooting a true collectable Luger. A broken extractor can turn a $4000 gun into a $1000 shooter.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Just ran across this thread about Luger handguns. My late father-in-law, who was a car dealer many years ago (Hudson, Nash, American Motors) just prior to his passing, gifted me with a .30 caliber
Luger he accepted as part of a down payment by a
Michigan Sheriff. He claimed the sheriff told him
this Luger had been the murder weapon used in killing a railroad detective. I'm keeping it due to it's interesting, alleged history. My father-
in-law and I ran a few rounds through it back in
the late 50's.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post