SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found a USPS Ruger Speed Six--Confirmed USPS by Ruger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a USPS Ruger Speed Six--Confirmed USPS by Ruger Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted
Yesterday a local FFL uploaded some pics of new to them used guns on facebook. One of them was a nice looking stainless Ruger Speed Six .357mag with 3" barrel. As someone who is always fond of these (and I already have a blued one with 2.75" barrel), I contacted them, confirmed price, asked them to hold it for me as I was on the way to purchase it, as long as it is as described.

Got there a half hour later and was pleasantly surprised to find it's a United State Postal Service GS-33PS revolver. 3" barrel, finger groove rubber grips with Ruger logo and the serial number range fits for this to be true. These were commissioned by the USPS in 1986 and delivered in 1987. Its claimed there have been around 3000 produced. They were only in service for around 5 years, then replaced by semi-auto pistols. Postal Inspectors were allowed to purchase 1 revolver once they were removed from service.

It's in about 95% condition, came in a Ruger box with the factory manual identifying it as a USPS GS-33. Price was $500 which I was very happy with.

Oh and I've already filled out the paperwork to get a Ruger Letter on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Great catch sigarms228. I claim a 4" Police Service-Six though your 3" round butt with the short shroud is just about perfect. Congratulations!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very nice

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a cool piece of history to go with a great revolver.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Nice score.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36841 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. It seems the older I get, the more revolvers I buy. Since last November I’ve purchased 7 revolvers and no semi’s.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice catch.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
You stole that. Cool

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
excellent, you had a great day, enjoy

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I would have not been able to pass that up either. As someone else stated, I think for that price you stole it also.

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
You stole that.

Agreed. I don't believe the FFL realized it was a USPS Postal Inspector's gun.

While there he was telling his only other employee there, "you rarely see these revolvers come through, people tend to hold onto them cause they're that good".

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
Very nice. It seems the older I get, the more revolvers I buy. Since last November I’ve purchased 7 revolvers and no semi’s.

Very nice indeed. It can be serendipitous or dangerous to window shop. I'm continually intrigued by the natural cycles of older firearms and specifically revolvers on the market considering we are mortal and the guns are not, for the most part.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I don't believe the FFL realized it was a USPS Postal Inspector's gun.

As a reference point, a NIB 1987 GS33-PS is currently listed on a popular collector firearms website for $2,600.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been an S &W guy, but would have likely snapped that ruger up with that unique history!

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty, and icing on the cake that it's a USPS gun. I just had my 2 3/4" Speed-Six out the other day to run some drills and was reminded what a sweet shooting gun it is. It's smooth and easy to make hits with on the clock.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You stole that , I picked up a new in box US Govt 4 in speed six with the lanyard unfired in box with the Gov shipping box and us manual 38 spl , I never fired it , you got a good one also .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those Ruger `s are getting 1000 and up now ,

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice score!! Smile Thanks for sharing that with us!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome find!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post