SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found a USPS Ruger Speed Six--Confirmed USPS by Ruger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a USPS Ruger Speed Six--Confirmed USPS by Ruger Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 90’s I was able to procure one of these exact models from a postal inspector that didn’t want their duty weapon when they were offered to them for a song- I think I only paid about $250-300 at the time. As is often the case, I saw something I wanted more at the time and traded it away at a gun show for a “profit” in value over what I had in it. If there’s a list of guns I wish I had never parted with, it is certainly on it along with an Uzi model B, a colt 9mm carbine, an HK P7M8 and a Norinco type 86S bull pup to name a few.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
That is a great carry gun. Love the speed/service/security six models. I was aware of the USPS models but somehow thought they were .38 spl only. Definitely prefer the versatility of 357 mag. I’ll give you $600 for it. Big Grin

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is there a serial number list online? Markings on the revolver? Is there anything other than the manual which indicates this is USPS issue?

I'm not disputing your claim.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
From the Ruger forum:

quote:
As a now-retired Postal Inspector who was a Division Firearms Coordinator for 14 yrs, I can hopefully clarify a few points.

In 1986, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service contracted with Ruger to build a stainless steel .357 magnum revolver with a 3 inch barrel exclusively for use by Postal Inspectors. Although the Post Office Department had a long history of firearm purchases over the past 200+ years, ranging from shotguns & revolvers to submachine guns, this Ruger “Speed Six” Model GS33-PS (Government Service - Postal Service) represented the first (and last) time a handgun was manufactured to specific U.S. Post Office specifications.

After Ruger made delivery in 1987, this weapon was assigned to all Postal Inspectors and Postal Police Officers. Approximately 3000 were manufactured, all bearing a serial number prefix of 162 followed by a 5-digit number up to 23446. There are no special markings on the weapon such as a badge or the letters USPIS or USPS. However, included in the Ruger box with each of these revolvers was an owner's manual that showed the Postal Inspector badge on the cover. On the inside page was a letter from the Chief Postal Inspector (dated 3/15/1987), identifying it as the offical weapon of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

Approx 5 yrs later these revolvers were replaced with a semi auto pistol. Inspectors were then allowed to purchase 1 of these Rugers for personal use. As a result, some have since been re-sold to the public.

The serial falls within the range listed. There's another documented gun I found online and the serial numbers are less than 50 apart. I sent off for a Ruger Letter to confirm but as of now I'm very confident its a USPS Postal Inspectors gun.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Great find! Congrats!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, years ago there was a Postal Dept. publication “Care and Use of the Revolver”. These still pop up on a popular auction site if you care to search for one.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great find, Brutha!

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
OP, years ago there was a Postal Dept. publication “Care and Use of the Revolver”. These still pop up on a popular auction site if you care to search for one.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Sweet score on the Speed Six! Hope you shoot it and post a range report.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find! I have basically the same gun with box etc, except it’s not a Post Office model, but is a 9mm. It’s like new and I love it, so you were lucky finding this special model Love this kind of history.

Posts: 138 | Registered: October 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Got my Ruger letter today, it's a confirmed USPS gun. Oh and Para, completely understood why you asked what you did. While there aren't any markings, I had a feeling due to several indicators that were presented.

Took it to the range and put 48 rounds through it. I started with Wichester Ranger 130gr .38+Ps which shot very high. Like 8-9 inches high. Quickly switched to Blazer Brass 158gr JHPs which shot a little high but not nearly as bad as the 38s. I like it, but was short on time today so I didn't get to do a lot of shooting. The below pic is the first cylinder of 357's.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Between the two of you, I can't tell which is better, the gun or the shooter. Very very nice.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post